Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

“Centrals don’t have long term health impacts like obstructive apneas”

During my two month follow up, my doctor said this in response to my average Ahi of 7.5, with the central part around 5.5

Has anyone seen a study on that?  I've never heard that, it just does not sound right. 

Not breathing for 10+ seconds can’t be good whether your airway is blocked or not!

I've never heard that at all...why would they make ASVs?

I don't think they were just trying to blow me off, because they did mention ASV as the next step after trying another pressure range on the apap.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: “Centrals don’t have long term health impacts like obstructive apneas”
you are your own best advocate..... stay here and see.

Post you OSCAR charts so the big dogs can help. Open your flow rate chart to 2 minute segments.. I'll post mine to show you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Either obstructive and central apnea can be harmful if there's enough to disrupt sleep. I do not buy into CA is not going to impact your health. Tell Dr. DoLittle to hold his breath for a few minutes and see if his health is less. Yes, an apnea is at least 10 seconds, so let's have doc string about 12 to 15 of these not impactful apnea together. After you wake him from passing out, ask about the impact.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
there seems to be more than one opinion about this around here, with some folks thinking ca is no big deal unless they're long. I disagree with that
& with whoever said ca doesn't have long term effects like oa. I'm proof of it, having been diagnosed with ca in 1987 but not getting any effective treatment for 30 years. the physical & mental damage was debilitating.

'false' ca flags are more likely than oa when roused or awake so I think this is why some folks minimize the importance of ca.

no single 10 second apnea of any stripe is going to hurt anybody.

events while awake can be ignored.

otoh, all sleeping events should be taken seriously.

a few events of all kinds are normal & acceptable. insurers & doctors define that as an ahi of less than 5.

having more events (of any type) & having events of longer duration increases the negative effects on our health. so a few not terribly long events of any kind may be considered acceptable. a few long events & a bunch of shorter events should not be.

the bottom line is how you feel. even with an ahi under 5, and especially if above that, we should be assertive in pressing for additional help if not feeling as well as we think we should.
Post Reply Post Reply
What Dave said.... I have to go for a Titration sleep study next month. If you wan to try and follow my 19 page thread "pressure plateau" alot of great feed back form the best here, and my mistakes as well. Not ashamed to admit I was a little rambunctious at times and had to be set straight. But it's important to do your do diligence to stay aware of possible negligence of Dr's.

Quote:so let's have doc string about 12 to 15 of these not impactful apnea together. After you wake him from passing out, ask about the impact.

Yeah Seriously....

Thing is REM sleep without the proper titration, blood/oxygen consentration, effects memory, that when info is stored, during your REM sleep, deep sleep. I suffered for many many years and struggled with jobs and lack of performance. What a serious loss. I'm 53, wow what I missed.  Sad  As sheepless mention about his history.... as the same for me, back years ago, we didn't have what is available today for therapy. Gird up your lions with your health... You are your best advocate.

Quote:I don't think they were just trying to blow me off, because they did mention ASV as the next step after trying another pressure range on the apap.

The only thing I got from my Dr. was, you might need a different machine. But nothing about making adjustments to my current one. 

From the comments it sounds like you went to see your primary Dr?

My Primary explained to me about REM sleep.. so maybe some Dr's now more than some.
Post Reply Post Reply
wwsleep, your doctor's response is nuanced in that it compares relative health impacts of central vs obstructive apnea. He is right in that obstructive apnea infer a closed airway with respiratory effort. This causes extremely high pressures in the chest that have a number of implications for heart health. Both CA and OA can cause desaturation, however short CA are often a compensation for over-ventilation and may not be accompanied by hypoxia which in turn will trigger adrenaline, high heart rate and potential tachycardia. In general with less severe CA, oxygen saturation is not a significant concern, but where it is, the health impacts are potentially equivalent to OA. Sleep disturbance is a significant risk, and obstructive respiratory effort related arousals are a well know factor in RDI. Many people with central events just sleep through the events, while others may become hypoxic or hypercapnic and have adrenaline reactions.

There are valid arguments that mild central apnea does not have as serious consequences as similar obstructive events. The actual impact on the individual may not meet that expectation, so further investigation may be warranted to look into the impacts on SpO2, pulse, sleep quality etc. You are the best judge of whether sleep is meeting your expectations, and I would not allow that valid generaly comparison to stand in the way of disagreeing with your doctor.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That was a good answer above from Sleep Rider.

Look, we're really talking about prolonged desaturations where we become alerted/aroused/alarmed/panicky/thrashing about with leg movements...any thing that causes us to diverge from our normal passage through the various stages of sleep.  They're ALL important, all have some effect on our well-being, and they need to happen sequentially.  It's bad enough that some of us have to awaken, remove our head gear or detach our hose, and trundle off to the John twice or thrice each night.  Why add to that arousal burden with a single CA, if that's what it really was?

While CA's in general are less problematic than OAs, they still might interfere with saturation and with sleep.  When you consider that many of us OSA sufferers have other problems associated with chronic desats, a form of stress on the heart, including atrial fibrillation (AFib) and weight gain, does it really matter which of the two it is?  Not really, in my books.  Technically, CA's are likely to be less injurious in the short run, but it they are numerous, if they are lengthy, and if they cause arousals and cortisol levels to climb unnecessarily, then I think we're picking fly spit out of the pepper.  

Your physician might be taking a broader view, a ratio'd context if you will, of what happens when you have a CV vs what happens to you when you have an OA.  You might be reacting much more poorly to the latter, and that is what he is trying to tell you...worry about the OAs for now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Why add to that arousal burden with a single CA, if that's what it really was?

this would be the proof otherwise.... the one for the night, but the second chart would be not quite legit I would suspect?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The statement by itself appears categorical and may appear dubious, but if it was made in the context of your sleep results it may have merit. Remember the 10 second threshold is arbitrary and one size rarely fits all. Before using a cpap I was always tired. When I started on CPAP my obstructive events disappeared almost completely and I felt great even though clustered centrals were present. My second sleep study four years ago was scheduled to investigate my clustered centrals that were a common occurrence on my sleepyhead charts. The doc observed such clusters but discounted them because I was awake and pulse OX levels were acceptable during these apparent centrals. I now know my normal sleeping respiration rate is ~13.2/min but drops to about 8.2 when I am awake and resting (and likely during periods of sleep/wake junk).
Post Reply Post Reply
"has anyone seen a study on that?"

I guess his Dr defiantly hasn't
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 14 376 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,775 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 850 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Gut Absorbtion Health? Zoltyzolt 0 88 03-21-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Zoltyzolt
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 118 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.