Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

0.0 AHI, 3 nights in a row, but FFM is clamped down.
0.0 AHI, 3 nights in a row, but FFM is clamped down.
I shut off my 5 min ramp, and since then, I've had 0.0 AHI; for 3 nights in a row, but...

My Simplus FFM is pretty much bolted to my face, to stop nose leaks, and it's leaving lines on my skin that aren't fading so easily.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 0.0 AHI, 3 nights in a row, but FFM is clamped down.
(05-25-2015, 06:13 PM)JVinNE Wrote: I shut off my 5 min ramp, and since then, I've had 0.0 AHI; for 3 nights in a row, but...

My Simplus FFM is pretty much bolted to my face, to stop nose leaks, and it's leaving lines on my skin that aren't fading so easily.
You might look into using mask liners. You can make them yourself with an old T-Shirt or get some that are pre-made for your mask.

They provide a buffer between you and the mask and allow you to lighten up on the mask tightness.

Normally, unless you have the wrong size mask for your face, you want the mask to be not so tight so when air enters it causes the mask to float a bit which allows it to seal better. When mashed down, the surface of the mask gets crushed and can let in or in this case let out air.

[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2015, 06:13 PM)JVinNE Wrote: I shut off my 5 min ramp, and since then, I've had 0.0 AHI; for 3 nights in a row, but...

Try a reboot. i.e. -- pull power and wait a few minutes before reapplying power. Sometimes these machines get lost in their firmware and fail to score apneas.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2015, 07:22 PM)justMongo Wrote:

Try a reboot. i.e. -- pull power and wait a few minutes before reapplying power. Sometimes these machines get lost in their firmware and fail to score apneas.

It's real. I have had under 1; usually .21 or so, for the first month, and as soon as I stopped ramp, no apneas. It is because I have sleep onset centrals, and ramp doesn't stop them. I have a very low OSA score. Machine is working. Smile

(05-25-2015, 06:22 PM)krelvin Wrote:

You might look into using mask liners. You can make them yourself with an old T-Shirt or get some that are pre-made for your mask.

They provide a buffer between you and the mask and allow you to lighten up on the mask tightness.

Normally, unless you have the wrong size mask for your face, you want the mask to be not so tight so when air enters it causes the mask to float a bit which allows it to seal better. When mashed down, the surface of the mask gets crushed and can let in or in this case let out air.

I have a Pad-a-cheek on it, but it still leaks if too loose. I guess I just need to mess with it a bit more. If that doesn't work, I might go back to a more floaty FFM. I loved the F10, but it dug into the bridge of my nose, and I had to use a cloth bandaid on it every night.

I'd love to be able to use a P10, but I would need a chin strap, and I sometimes mouth breathe in sleep, and go back and forth between mouth and nose. Sleep study told me how I was on night one.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2015, 09:24 PM)JVinNE Wrote: Machine is working. :

Okay! but just for the hell of it ... humor us ... pull the power plug on the back of the machine ... wait 20 seconds or so and then plug it back in ... that is the only way you'll know for sure. Don't ask how I know.Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
and liners do work pretty well to minimize the 'disruptions' due to leakage, even though using them properly will probably result in some light leakage. use of the liner properly means leaving the mask only tight enough to reduce the leakage to minimal, not eliminating. A liner does have a certain porosity that naturally allows some leakage, well below the blast or more whispery (though annoying) leaks.

I find that when I do use a liner (which Mrs QAL made) that all leaking is in a form that tends to cool the skin it is in contact with, and not a leak that sounds like one. It is especially nice that the air is not blowing into my eyes.

Also agree with above posts most of my large leak nights are without a liner and with an over-tightened mask.

I see no reason to switch from FFM although I do find myself breathing quite comfortably through my nose in most cases.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ever since I've been on this forum people have been telling me to keep the mask loose so it "floats" on my face. "Like a hovercraft" was one expressions that used to get used a lot. Well I'm here to tell you that - in my case it doesn't work. I bit the bullet and tightened up the straps real tight. Now I have minimal leaks and AHI consistently around 1 or lower. Yes I have strap marks on my face but with a face like mine it's hard to tell the difference. Big Grinnie
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2015, 09:45 PM)Napmeister Wrote:

Okay! but just for the hell of it ... humor us ... pull the power plug on the back of the machine ... wait 20 seconds or so and then plug it back in ... that is the only way you'll know for sure. Don't ask how I know.Wink

I had another night of 0.0 AHI, but all of the other stats were consistent. I will unplug it and then restart it to see what happens.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am with DeepBreathing on this one. One needs to tighten the mask as much as necessary, a little at a time, until all of the leaks stop. If this is loose and the cushions really pump up, great. If this is really tight and the cushions barely pump up at all, then that is fine too. The object here is to eliminate leaks. Now, as far as facial marks or discomfort is concerned, one needs to look at other solutions up to and including a different mask or a different type of mask.

Having the mask floating on the face like a hovercraft is the ideal situation. How much tension a mask needs to keep from leaking depends on the type of mask, the design of the cushions, the therapeutic pressure from the PAP machine, and the facial topography of the user.

With that said, I think the best advice to give people struggling with their mask, is to tighten it a little at a time until all of the leaks have just stopped. That would be the correct tightness for that mask, on that person, at that pressure. Generally, I think, one can get away with less tension on the upper straps than on the lower straps.

Another myth is that all masks will leak if tightened too much (however much that is). I can tighten my Mirage Quattro mask until it can not be tightened any further and it will not leak. It may hurt like heck but it won't leak.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2015, 09:45 PM)Napmeister Wrote:

I unplugged my Aircurve 10 for 20-30 seconds, plugged it back in, and then went to bed that night. This morning, again, 0.0 AHI, and all other stats consistent. Shutting ramp off seems to have stopped my sleep-onset central hypopneas. I noticed that I was having them during ramp; using Sleepyhead.

My DME is amazed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 248 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 211 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  First two nights with results meettherobinsons 5 451 01-18-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: meettherobinsons
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  [Treatment] My very first two nights! domod 6 581 11-30-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Sad One of my worst nights. adamwhereartthou 1 450 11-06-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] First 2 Nights of CPAP (help?) jp0808 1 372 11-03-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.