0.0 AHI, 3 nights in a row, but FFM is clamped down.
JVinNE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Aircurve 10 ASV Bilevel
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus aka Facedigger
Humidifier: HumidAir™ with climate line
CPAP Pressure: Min EPAP 5 Max IPAP 13 PS 1-2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: New, ASV Barbie, now with morning fart action.

Sex: Female

0.0 AHI, 3 nights in a row, but FFM is clamped down.
I shut off my 5 min ramp, and since then, I've had 0.0 AHI; for 3 nights in a row, but...

My Simplus FFM is pretty much bolted to my face, to stop nose leaks, and it's leaving lines on my skin that aren't fading so easily.
05-25-2015 06:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
krelvin Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Auto BiLevel
Mask Make & Model: Quattro Air
Humidifier: S9 Series H5i Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
CPAP Pressure: 10.6cm - 18cm - PS 4cm
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: FlashAir WiFi SDcard with SleepMaster/FlashPAP - Weather Nut

Sex: Male

RE: 0.0 AHI, 3 nights in a row, but FFM is clamped down.
(05-25-2015 06:13 PM)JVinNE Wrote:  I shut off my 5 min ramp, and since then, I've had 0.0 AHI; for 3 nights in a row, but...

My Simplus FFM is pretty much bolted to my face, to stop nose leaks, and it's leaving lines on my skin that aren't fading so easily.
You might look into using mask liners. You can make them yourself with an old T-Shirt or get some that are pre-made for your mask.

They provide a buffer between you and the mask and allow you to lighten up on the mask tightness.

Normally, unless you have the wrong size mask for your face, you want the mask to be not so tight so when air enters it causes the mask to float a bit which allows it to seal better. When mashed down, the surface of the mask gets crushed and can let in or in this case let out air.

Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
TNET Sleep Resource Pages
CPAP Machine Database
05-25-2015 06:22 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(05-25-2015 06:13 PM)JVinNE Wrote:  I shut off my 5 min ramp, and since then, I've had 0.0 AHI; for 3 nights in a row, but...

Try a reboot. i.e. -- pull power and wait a few minutes before reapplying power. Sometimes these machines get lost in their firmware and fail to score apneas.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-25-2015 07:22 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
JVinNE Offline

Advisory Members

(05-25-2015 07:22 PM)justMongo Wrote:  

Try a reboot. i.e. -- pull power and wait a few minutes before reapplying power. Sometimes these machines get lost in their firmware and fail to score apneas.

It's real. I have had under 1; usually .21 or so, for the first month, and as soon as I stopped ramp, no apneas. It is because I have sleep onset centrals, and ramp doesn't stop them. I have a very low OSA score. Machine is working. Smile

(05-25-2015 06:22 PM)krelvin Wrote:  

You might look into using mask liners. You can make them yourself with an old T-Shirt or get some that are pre-made for your mask.

They provide a buffer between you and the mask and allow you to lighten up on the mask tightness.

Normally, unless you have the wrong size mask for your face, you want the mask to be not so tight so when air enters it causes the mask to float a bit which allows it to seal better. When mashed down, the surface of the mask gets crushed and can let in or in this case let out air.

I have a Pad-a-cheek on it, but it still leaks if too loose. I guess I just need to mess with it a bit more. If that doesn't work, I might go back to a more floaty FFM. I loved the F10, but it dug into the bridge of my nose, and I had to use a cloth bandaid on it every night.

I'd love to be able to use a P10, but I would need a chin strap, and I sometimes mouth breathe in sleep, and go back and forth between mouth and nose. Sleep study told me how I was on night one.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2015 09:27 PM by JVinNE.)
05-25-2015 09:24 PM
Napmeister Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Elite
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed P10 Pillow mask
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: testing 10.2 cm

Other Comments: Windows 8.1 64 bit

(05-25-2015 09:24 PM)JVinNE Wrote:  Machine is working. :

Okay! but just for the hell of it ... humor us ... pull the power plug on the back of the machine ... wait 20 seconds or so and then plug it back in ... that is the only way you'll know for sure. Don't ask how I know.Wink
05-25-2015 09:45 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

and liners do work pretty well to minimize the 'disruptions' due to leakage, even though using them properly will probably result in some light leakage. use of the liner properly means leaving the mask only tight enough to reduce the leakage to minimal, not eliminating. A liner does have a certain porosity that naturally allows some leakage, well below the blast or more whispery (though annoying) leaks.

I find that when I do use a liner (which Mrs QAL made) that all leaking is in a form that tends to cool the skin it is in contact with, and not a leak that sounds like one. It is especially nice that the air is not blowing into my eyes.

Also agree with above posts most of my large leak nights are without a liner and with an over-tightened mask.

I see no reason to switch from FFM although I do find myself breathing quite comfortably through my nose in most cases.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
05-25-2015 10:18 PM
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10

Other Comments:

Ever since I've been on this forum people have been telling me to keep the mask loose so it "floats" on my face. "Like a hovercraft" was one expressions that used to get used a lot. Well I'm here to tell you that - in my case it doesn't work. I bit the bullet and tightened up the straps real tight. Now I have minimal leaks and AHI consistently around 1 or lower. Yes I have strap marks on my face but with a face like mine it's hard to tell the difference. Big Grinnie

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-26-2015 01:42 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
JVinNE Offline

Advisory Members

(05-25-2015 09:45 PM)Napmeister Wrote:  

Okay! but just for the hell of it ... humor us ... pull the power plug on the back of the machine ... wait 20 seconds or so and then plug it back in ... that is the only way you'll know for sure. Don't ask how I know.Wink

I had another night of 0.0 AHI, but all of the other stats were consistent. I will unplug it and then restart it to see what happens.
05-26-2015 11:02 AM
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

I am with DeepBreathing on this one. One needs to tighten the mask as much as necessary, a little at a time, until all of the leaks stop. If this is loose and the cushions really pump up, great. If this is really tight and the cushions barely pump up at all, then that is fine too. The object here is to eliminate leaks. Now, as far as facial marks or discomfort is concerned, one needs to look at other solutions up to and including a different mask or a different type of mask.

Having the mask floating on the face like a hovercraft is the ideal situation. How much tension a mask needs to keep from leaking depends on the type of mask, the design of the cushions, the therapeutic pressure from the PAP machine, and the facial topography of the user.

With that said, I think the best advice to give people struggling with their mask, is to tighten it a little at a time until all of the leaks have just stopped. That would be the correct tightness for that mask, on that person, at that pressure. Generally, I think, one can get away with less tension on the upper straps than on the lower straps.

Another myth is that all masks will leak if tightened too much (however much that is). I can tighten my Mirage Quattro mask until it can not be tightened any further and it will not leak. It may hurt like heck but it won't leak.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
05-26-2015 01:58 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
JVinNE Offline

Advisory Members

(05-25-2015 09:45 PM)Napmeister Wrote:  

I unplugged my Aircurve 10 for 20-30 seconds, plugged it back in, and then went to bed that night. This morning, again, 0.0 AHI, and all other stats consistent. Shutting ramp off seems to have stopped my sleep-onset central hypopneas. I noticed that I was having them during ramp; using Sleepyhead.

My DME is amazed.
05-27-2015 11:03 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Too many 0.0 nights ???? dwd1249 12 1,096 09-21-2016 05:33 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
  Dreamstation auto - two nights results stephennic 2 444 08-11-2016 08:13 AM
Last Post: stephennic
  Help with last nights data please! nzbnate 11 651 07-14-2016 05:43 PM
Last Post: nzbnate
  3 Nights in................ SylviaT 16 1,026 06-04-2016 05:58 PM
Last Post: richb
  2 months and finally a couple nights below 5 FrankNichols 15 849 05-27-2016 09:39 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  [Treatment] Newbie - 3 nights so far Jenkersting 6 468 05-08-2016 12:29 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
Sad I don't get many nights like this. dwd1249 9 739 04-26-2016 12:27 AM
Last Post: Inspired