Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Night with ASV
First Night with ASV
Last night was my first night with the new ASV - I was in and out of sleep, getting used to the new way it works. Sometimes I felt like the pressure was too much for me, so when that happened, I put the ramp on and then that helped me to go back to sleep.

In terms of data for SleepyHead, which worked wonderfully with my previous device which was the 760 biPap Auto - this time with the 960T ASV, it just said that I had 0 AHI, and not much in terms of the waves and flags and such. SleepMapper says I had 2.6 AHI, and doesn't give any other details.

2.6 is much better than my AHI with my previous device, which usually was over 5, and sometimes up to 17 or higher.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First Night with ASV
PS I figured out how to get a little more AHI details from SleepMapper,
it says the 2 Obstructive Apneas, 0 Clear Apneas, and 18 Hypopneas -
I am not sure, but I think that is per hour?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ruarch, congratulations on the new machine. ASVs do take a bit of getting used to, but once you do you'll never want to go back to a conventional machine.

Those event numbers would be for the whole night. The index (eg AHI) is a measure of the average number of events per hour. So if you slept 8 hours and had 20 events your AHI would be 20 / 8 = 2.5. You must have slept a bit under 8 hours to get an AHI of 2.6 from 20 events.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see the DS960T listed here http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-YOUR-data but I can't believe they have much data on it yet... maybe good to ask if data samples are needed for the soon to be released Sleepyhead!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2016, 07:22 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Hi Ruach, congratulations on the new machine. ASVs do take a bit of getting used to, but once you do you'll never want to go back to a conventional machine.

Those event numbers would be for the whole night. The index (eg AHI) is a measure of the average number of events per hour. So if you slept 8 hours and had 20 events your AHI would be 20 / 8 = 2.5. You must have slept a bit under 8 hours to get an AHI of 2.6 from 20 events.

Thanks so much, DeepBreathing - now I get it- it says 2.6 AHI, which is the per hour event, and yes, I did sleep under 8 hours, and your explanation makes sense to me. Thanks bunches!

And I do look forward to getting used to the way the ASV works Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ruach,
Sounds like you are off to a pretty good start with your new machine, keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2016, 08:58 PM)ruach Wrote: And I do look forward to getting used to the way the ASV works :)

Hello Ruach.

I've been using an ASV machine for 3 months or so - and I would *never* go back to CPAP/APAP. My AHI is usually less than 0.5 now, which I never achieved with CPAP/APAP (AHI 3-12), and my fatigue is much much better as is my quality of sleep.

If the machine gets a bit aggressive with me and starts to inflate me too much while I am trying to get to sleep, I just blow back hard at it for a few puffs and it then calms down. We have different machines, but you might want to try that.

Hang on in there, I'm sure it will become very natural and effective for you soon.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2016, 03:52 AM)Asjb Wrote:
(03-08-2016, 08:58 PM)ruach Wrote: And I do look forward to getting used to the way the ASV works Smile

Hello Ruach.

I've been using an ASV machine for 3 months or so - and I would *never* go back to CPAP/APAP. My AHI is usually less than 0.5 now, which I never achieved with CPAP/APAP (AHI 3-12), and my fatigue is much much better as is my quality of sleep.

If the machine gets a bit aggressive with me and starts to inflate me too much while I am trying to get to sleep, I just blow back hard at it for a few puffs and it then calms down. We have different machines, but you might want to try that.

Hang on in there, I'm sure it will become very natural and effective for you soon.

Thanks Asjb-
When you say blow hard, do you mean blow hard through your nose?

My second night's stats were not as good as the first night, but I felt like I slept more soundly, rather than being at that almost awake stage through the whole night (the first night).

Sleep Mapper Summary:
6.2 AHI
Clear Apnea 3
Obstructive Apnea 8
Hypopnea 39

Added note: I do keep the mask and ASV on when I first wake, so I am awake at least an hour in the morning while still using the ASV - Is it better to turn off the ASV as soon as I wake?

Thanks Smile

Post Reply Post Reply

Ruach: "Thanks Asjb-
When you say blow hard, do you mean blow hard through your nose?"

I'm sorry! I should have noticed you had a nasal mask (I have a facial). But I don't see why you couldn't blow through your nose? Anyone else reading this ever tried that?

Ruach: "My second night's stats were not as good as the first night, but I felt like I slept more soundly, rather than being at that almost awake stage through the whole night (the first night)"

If I was you I wouldn't give any concern at all to at least your first couple of week's stats nor sleep quality - it takes time to settle and with some people that may mean many weeks. But that's excellent you slept better.

Ruach: "I do keep the mask and ASV on when I first wake, so I am awake at least an hour in the morning while still using the ASV - Is it better to turn off the ASV as soon as I wake?"

I reckon entirely as you wish - keeping it on for a while when you are awake can only help you get used to the way it blows and allow you to feel comfortable with the machine sooner. It won't do your lungs or your health any harm at all that I can think of - I sometimes keep in on for a while after waking and don't need to get up yet, I find the breathing 'support' it gives me very comfortable. Just be aware that there is such a thing as 'sleep wake junk' (you could search the forum for more info) - many of us (all types of machines) can have more frequent apnoeas and hypopnoeas while lightly dozing (and even sometimes briefly while actually completely awake) so your AHI readings may increase. I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with your machine - does it give you the timing of your events with Sleepyhead? (you put 'Sleepyhead' in your control panel but then you mention Sleep Mapper which I'm not familiar with). If it does, you will be able to see that some apnoeas and/or hypopnoeas may have occurred when you were dozing/awake, so you can ignore them and they don't count towards your 'AHI on ASV treatment'.

Sounds like everything is really going to plan for you so far - good news.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Asjb -
right now my device doesn't seem to work with sleepyhead, and my data has been sent to see what's up, and hoping that in the near future I will be able to see my stats on sleepyhead Smile
I have an appointment with my Respiratory Therapist on Friday, so maybe she can give me more details Smile
Also, thanks for the advice about not paying much attention these first couple of weeks while I am adjusting to using the ASV.
I am grateful that today I feel much more rested than yesterday Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 851 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,111 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,342 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,235 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Here is my data from 3rd night and Friday night slingshot383 16 2,252 05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: slingshot383
Question One night AHI 0, next night leaks and high AHI. MyronH 7 2,202 09-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.