Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

1 Year on and mostly pulling the mask off
RE: 1 Year on and mostly pulling the mask off
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. Upping the min to 6 is definitely helping. Haven't pulled the mask off yet.

On the 26th I kept the mask on but woke up with a headache in the back of my headache. Subsequent days I was travelling so wasn't sleeping a regular times. Was back at home yesterday and slept with the mask on again till past 5am but pulled the mask off (I was conscious at the time but it was feeling uncomfortable - not sure why). No headache this morning interestingly though

@Sleeprider, I haven't lowered the flex setting yet but I may try that tonight. I have noticed the AHI reading tends to increase at the end of my sleep cycle though.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't worry about Flex too much. Your respiratory stats have normalized and these results are fine. I think in your case it was just a matter of adapting to the therapy. That may still be in progress based on the early morning sleep-wake junk events. You should continue to see steady improvement. Your pressure is within a very narrow range now, and that is ideal
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
MW, I have the same problem. I'm overly sensitive to stuff though (I wear my socks and undies inside out, for instance lol because the seams bug me. I also cut out any and all tags from my clothes). After usually 4 solid hours, I just can no longer tolerate the pressure. I mark VERY easily, but I'll keep marks from my mask for hours after I remove it.
Maybe you're hyper-sensitive to the pressure?

After reading some links from long-standing members here, some more food for thought is that your straps might be too tight? I know I have to tweak mine a lot more.

Also... is a nasal mask the same thing as a nasal pillow? Do you have TMJ? Do you grind your teeth (does your jaw pop or creak?) That's a problem I've found with masks and have yet to solve. I ask only because you mentioned having a headache. If it was a one-off, I wouldn't worry about it. If you have them more and more frequently, though, you might look into getting a different mask.

Much success to you!! I hope you find a solution soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Sleeprider, again thank you very much for your feedback. Last night was not so great. Not sure why but I think I did struggle a bit and I instinctively pulled my mask off and switched the CPAP machine off. I guess there will be good days and bad days

@Zhaylin, yeah I have had a problem with the straps initially but they seem to be ok now with the Philips Dreamwear nasal pillow - different from the mask I tried initially as I also had a problem with marks on my face. Headaches don't seem to be common though it's been a long time  when I have woken up feeling good and. Thanks for your support - all very helpful
Post Reply Post Reply
Just thought I would report back after a few weeks. I am still yanking the mask off. One thing I feel is that I am sleeping better in that I don't feel as bad as I did in the mornings. The headaches have mostly gone. The chart below is typical of every night 2am-3am I yank the mask off - wake up around 5am to put the mask back on. Any help would be appreciated. 

I have been fairly strict with my sleep hygiene

- No eating past 8pm
- No alcohol

NB The chart says I have a humidifier connected but I don't

Things I have tweaked

- Tried increasing the pressure to 7
- Tried turning off Flex Level: no joy
- Tried changing the flex level to 2
- Increased the max pressure to 11 (though I don't think this makes a difference in my case)
- Varied the strap tensions

The next things to try is video myself for the night to see what happens, changing flex to 1.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,643 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,495 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  It's Been Almost a Year With My aPAP, Still Need Help AP0011 2 312 01-20-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Last year, AHI <1. This year, AHI >5. WTF? srwilsn3 14 801 12-17-2023, 11:41 AM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  Medicare cpap 5 year replacement policy Sonno 4 580 09-11-2023, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Sonno
  Help for my 8 year old! Teeleidor 7 732 08-14-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote
  [Diagnosis] Question About OSA Diagnosis Criteria for 14-Year-Olds Dire 2 503 08-09-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.