Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

1 machine or 2?
1 machine or 2?
So I am still new here and have been doing some thinking.  What would I do if my machine would suddenly become unusable? I guess my question is does any one use and maintain 2 machines so a back up is always available? Or are these machines typically reliable enough that it is not really much  of a concern?  Or is this not really much of an issue and I need to worry about more important things?  With the investment required to purchase another machine, I am not in a hurry to do so.  Just looking for some input on the matter.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 1 machine or 2?
I think most of us keep our old machine, assuming that it still works, when we get a new one every 5 to 6 years.  My old, old machines get dropped off at the hazardous waste site for parts recycling.  At one time I had three machines - one for travel, one for the house (it was too much of a hassle to travel with), and a back up.  Since retiring, I still have the travel machine as a backup, and my S9.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some things to think about.  Since you use a bipap, it would be costly to purchase new out of pocket, but should something happen and you needed to get your machine repaired, would your DME give you a loaner while it was being repaired?  

I started to think about a replacement machine when mine was a year old.  I did purchase a second machine at a very good price.  Since my machine will be 3 years old this year, I'm going to break out the replacement I bought and keep the original as a backup.

If you are thinking of a backup machine, consider Amazon or Supplier #2.  They sell good low hour units and also new open boxed machines.  

You have time to research and see what's out there.  I'm all for getting a backup machine if it gives you piece of mind.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi 4speed,

If the machine breaks (or we are traveling and forgot to bring the power brick or whatever) try to take precautions which will keep you from sleeping on your back (usually worst sleep position). 

Some find they need to sleep on a comfortable recliner chair while wearing a cervical colar, in order to elevate and support the head and neck.

I suggest keeping an eye on the lookout for a used machine.  But do not pay a stranger except in a public place (like a library or fast food restaurant which has power sockets available to customers) and not until you've seen and heard it working and have navigated to the screen which shows how many machine hours have been used.  You can request the setup manual (clinical guide or provider manual) for the machine in advance of the meeting, so you'll know how to navagate the hidden clinical screens.) Also, unless you are already accustomed to the smell of stale tobacco smoke, don't consider buying a machine which has been used in a home with a smoker, because it takes forever for the stale tobacco smell to get out of the machine.  A type of sensor malfunction can cause the machine to blow air but way too strongly, and the pressure doesn't reduce no matter how low the pressure settings are set.  Do due diligence.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a low-hours Philips System One BiPAP Auto 760 purchased through Craigslist for about $350 as a backup to my Aircurve 10 Vauto. The Philips machine has considerably fewer hours on it at this point than the Resmed. I'm thinking of starting to rotate it into the lineup more often to take some time off the Resmed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2017, 02:34 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have a low-hours Philips System One BiPAP Auto 760 purchased through Craigslist for about $350 as a backup to my Aircurve 10 Vauto.  The Philips machine has considerably fewer hours on it at this point than the Resmed.   I'm thinking of starting to rotate it into the lineup more often to take some time off the Resmed.

In general, I suggest it's best to use the newer machine if it is still under warranty, because if it starts acting up it is still under warranty. But I suppose that would not work as well if we find treatment on the older machine is more comfortable.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am looking for a second machine as well. I can't bring myself to buy used unless it's from a reputable supplier. I seem to have a mental block over using such intimate equipment without knowing exactly where it's been.
Post Reply Post Reply
My brother never had a backup, but when his bipap fell to the floor and required repair, he had nothing for 4 weeks while it got sent to the repair place, fixed and returned.  If you are out of the rental period for Medicare or your insurance company, your DME will not provide a free rental, so you are SOL.  On the other hand, a lot of people never have failures in that 5 year period before they get another machine.  I waited to get a backup until after the 13 month Medicare rental period was over because Lincare would provide a backup until then.  I currently have 2 backups (neither are bipap-kept one at late relative's house as I was an alternating caregiver).  My suggestion is to save up money and look for a used machine - they come along now and then.

When you do get your backup, use it for a few days and then go back to your primary (your primary is still under warranty). Do this every few months or you get that 'old machine' smell just letting it sit. There are plenty of people who have been on here who have had 10,000+ hours on their machine without a problem. But if you DO get a problem, bipap rentals are about $150/month and you would likely need it 2 months if your machine is sent in for repair. Supplier#3 does offer rentals. I don't know who else does.

Finally, ASK your DME. It could very well be that your DME will supply rentals provided you are a regular client. In that case, maybe it would be a financial waste for you. But, remember that if it happens that your machine fails on Friday night, you are out of luck until at least Monday.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've got the originally prescribed brick for backup; I just wanted more data. (A hazard of being an epidemiologist - we want to crunch numbers on everything!)

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2017, 02:13 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Some things to think about.  Since you use a bipap, it would be costly to purchase new out of pocket, but should something happen and you needed to get your machine repaired, would your DME give you a loaner while it was being repaired?  

I started to think about a replacement machine when mine was a year old.  I did purchase a second machine at a very good price.  Since my machine will be 3 years old this year, I'm going to break out the replacement I bought and keep the original as a backup.

If you are thinking of a backup machine, consider Amazon or Supplier #2.  They sell good low hour units and also new open boxed machines.  

You have time to research and see what's out there.  I'm all for getting a backup machine if it gives you piece of mind.

I purchased my machine new, unopened package, from Amazon for $800. I did not go through a doctor so that means no DME support for me. From what I have seen people post here I didn't think this was possible for this to be a new unit so I was skeptical until I had it in my hands. The price has gone up to $875 since I purchased mine and I am trying to decided if I should bite the bullet and buy a second one or not.  Like I have seen others comment, the idea of a used unit is not real appealing to me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,236 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,862 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,340 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,786 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,279 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.