Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

1 month in, some unexpected results
1 month in, some unexpected results
From the 1st night with cpap and every night since I have AHI <1.0   No waking up with racing pulse and dreams of fighting bears and robbers. Recording pulse oxy shows me in mid 90s all night.

One surprise is that I now need a backup alarm to keep from being late for work. Before cpap, I usually beat the alarm up.  Now I am in danger of turning it off and returning to sleep. After this happened several times I got a 2nd alarm I have to get out of bed to turn off.  I haven't been this groggy on awakening since I was a teenager. I am alert during the day but feel like it would be great to slip off somewhere and get more sleep.

I wonder if my body is just trying to make up for lost years of whatever it gets during sleep ?

I have 1 month follow up with Doc this afternoon.

I appreciate this forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 1 month in, some unexpected results
I think that you will find that people acclimate to cpap therapy in varying time periods, some quickly-some a few months.  It is great that your therapy is working so well.  I encourage you to download the Sleepyhead software from the link on top of the page, it will give you the ability to really see what is going on with your therapy, etc.  You can also download the graphs, etc. to this forum, there are lots of experienced members that are able to help you with adivce.  Read Roby Sue's beginner guide to Sleephead to get in the swing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi KenG - Welcome

It's good to hear that your days are improved.  This is probably silly to ask, but is going to bed earlier out of the question?  On your off day you may try seeing just how long you require sleep.

Good luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, there is what we call "sleep debt", a cumulative affect of not getting enough sleep.

This will work itself out as you get used to therapy, and your body starts to recover from years of not getting enough sleep.

When I first started, I found myself sleeping 9 to 10 hours, which was a lot for me. Prior to CPAP, I was lucky to get 2 to 3 hours a night.

Now, I do really well with 7 hours.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi KenG,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It’s great to hear that you are noticing improvement with your sleep. As you catch up on your sleep debt, hopefully, you will notice even more.
Good luck to you and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep debt? Yikes! Maybe my debt will be paid off once I've been 6 feet under for a decade! LOL

KenG - I have had trouble hearing my alarm, due to sleeping so well, and also the white noise of my xpap machine. But it sounds like that's not what you're experiencing.

I, too, wonder if it would help if you'd go to sleep earlier. Maybe your morning wakeup is at a weird point in your new sleep cycle.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the replies.

Wife and I go to bed at same time so going earlier is not an option for me, however, the last 2 days I am getting past the groggy wakeup so I may be catching up.

Wednesday afternoon I had 1 month followup.  I expected sleep Doc but got nurse practitioner. She downloaded sd card and was happy with everything. She said its a good thing I needed 2nd alarm, my symptoms very common, and called it REM rebound.  Also gave me a printed script in case mrs Santa wants to get me a travel cpap.

This morning I actually got up and beat the 2nd alarm.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2017, 09:00 AM)KenG Wrote: From the 1st night with cpap and every night since I have AHI <1.0   No waking up with racing pulse and dreams of fighting bears and robbers. Recording pulse oxy shows me in mid 90s all night.

One surprise is that I now need a backup alarm to keep from being late for work. Before cpap, I usually beat the alarm up.  Now I am in danger of turning it off and returning to sleep. After this happened several times I got a 2nd alarm I have to get out of bed to turn off.  I haven't been this groggy on awakening since I was a teenager. I am alert during the day but feel like it would be great to slip off somewhere and get more sleep.

I wonder if my body is just trying to make up for lost years of whatever it gets during sleep ?

I have 1 month follow up with Doc this afternoon.

I appreciate this forum.

go to bed earlier

set alarm to wake you up at same time 7x52
no sleeping in on weekends nor staying up late and not using alarm
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar CPAP Optimization Results-Awesome!? SeePak 18 345 5 hours ago
Last Post: SeePak
  [Treatment] Help with interpreting OSCAR results 6bez8dF5lf 7 184 Yesterday, 10:13 AM
Last Post: 6bez8dF5lf
  Test results Kmzizzle 18 1,521 04-12-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Treatment] New to CPAP but keen to learn - Please could you help with results and Q's? JustinWoods 19 1,948 04-10-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Help interpreting my results (and hello!) mluck94 4 144 04-08-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: mluck94
  Having fluctuating results 3rd week in. Data attached Jscott321 5 204 04-03-2024, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Jscott321
  Do I not need a CPAP anymore? In-Lab Study Results brehski 6 204 04-03-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.