Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

1 week into therapy, AHI still 30ish
1 week into therapy, AHI still 30ish
Hi,

Basically I've been using my CPAP for 1 week now, and my AHI's still are averaging around 28-30. All of my nights Clear Airway are my most common according to OSCAR, though last night I noticed that I had a 26 minute long Cheyne Stokes Respiration as well at a 6.66% index. I increased my maximum pressure from 10 to 20, just to make sure I didn't need more, and I didn't go over 11, so I don't believe that's the issue. 
I've attached photos of last nights OSCAR readout. I've only been using it for 7 days now, so some of the statistics may look off. 
While this night says my AHI average was 23, it bordered 40 AHI multiple times, and every previous night before this was 28-35, and me increasing the pressure max doesn't appear to be the reason for the slight decrease.

My Clear Airway Index is over 20% per night as well. I don't have a high index of anything else, normally.

I'm starting to get somewhat worried that my issues are not curable with a CPAP. My EPR is set to full Time, 2cm. I saw one thread suggesting people with high clear airway events change that to off, or 1cm, so I may give that a shot tonight. 

I unfortunately cannot post links or images due to being a new member, but I have OSCAR screenshots. I could really use help figuring out why I can't get my AHI down no matter what, as I can't get in touch with an actual doctor for up to 60 days thanks to VA wait times.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 1 week into therapy, AHI still 30ish
On the OSCAR screenshots, use the New Attachment button, Choose File is sending the OSCAR shot file you want to include, you'll then need to select Add Attachment to have the file selected and uploaded, then lastly you'll make sure your cursor is pointing to where you want to insert the OSCAR shot and click on the Insert Into Post button.

You should see this during the process

[attachment=32526]

I suggest getting your own copy of any sleep study diagnostic and titration tests that were done. Request detailed reports, then you have it for your personal health file and you may add those redacted page images here for us to know a bit about your Apnea condition. High CA can indicate need for a higher level specialized machine, but the test results guide us to help you.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don’t see any charts. Use F12 on your computer for a screenshot and use add attachment at the bottom of the post. Your must ok the attachment after loading it for it to appear in the post
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2021, 10:39 AM)staceyburke Wrote: I don’t see any charts. Use F12 on your computer for a screenshot and use add attachment at the bottom of the post. Your must ok the attachment after loading it for it to appear in the post

Yeah, unfortunately new members aren't allowed to post screenshots, so I tried to include as much info as I thought might be requested.
Post Reply Post Reply
After approximately four posts, you transition from new member to member.

Put in a couple more of anything you want
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Zezxy welcome to the forum

Look at what you have found here! You have OSCAR and concerned people who make wonderful recommendations to improve your settings.

(My story is not important; but this is how I started over 30 years ago. And it went on for years and years. When I started my sleep doc was only concerned that my machine was turned on for at least 4 hours a night! )

I predict things will improve quickly.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, welcome!

Were central apneas (aka clear airway events) seen on your initial sleep study? Because if so, then the answers are going to be different from those if you had no central events before starting PAP.

As others have said, keep posting until you can upload the pictures and go ahead and post the charts using F12 (or the take screenshot option under the view menu in OSCAR).

There are a few of us here with central or complex sleep apnea, so we can always point you in the right direction if needed. Some centrals turn out to be treatment-emergent, some aren't, which is why seeing the charts is so helpful (usually a picture of the whole night, and then maybe a 10 minute and 2 minute section of one of the areas of high centrals).

And just for reassurance, most of what is listed as CSR isn't - it's periodic breathing. But the ResMed machine identifies all periodic breathing as CSR and scares people when they look it up!

I found even an EPR of 1 made me feel noticeably worse, and if your max pressure didn't increase past where it was before you increased the pressure, it probably wasn't that, as you say - but the thing about centrals is that they are consistently inconsistent. Some nights are just randomly better or worse than others.

That said, hopefully, yours will turn out to be treatment-emergent and improve over time.
Post Reply Post Reply
As a new user you can attach screenshots to your posts it’s just posting links that is restricted
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 840 4 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 6 497 5 hours ago
Last Post: phillyfan24
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,084 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 256 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,269 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,364 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.