Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

1 year and still tired!
RE: 1 year and still tired!
Scott,
I looks to me like your stats indicate that you are headed in the correct direction. Have you tried a flex setting of 3? If so, what did you experience?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
"Scott,
I looks to me like your stats indicate that you are headed in the correct direction. Have you tried a flex setting of 3? If so, what did you experience?"

Crimson Nape- I used to have flex on 3 all the time. But I thought 3 was the easiest setting to be on when I first stated. Started dialing it back when I found this site and read the flex could be cause of high AHI  or at least contribute to it.
Am I wrong on this assumption?
Post Reply Post Reply
I think at low pressures, your flow limited breathing caused such irregularities in the respiratory flow, we thought Flex might be exacerbating the problem. Once your minimum pressure was over 10, Flex did not seem to make much difference. So comfort should guide you as to what is best. Your best results were on Auto at 10-15, and like all the other recent pressure experiments, you are only giving a 2-day trial to these changes. It's pretty hard to make a conclusion when you keep changing so frequently. About the only thing I can see in the summary statistics is that with pressure at 10 or more, your apnea is better than when pressure is lower. I don't see a trend for better results at higher pressures than 10-15 auto.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
See post following post this was a repeat.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2017, 07:41 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I think at low pressures, your flow limited breathing caused such irregularities in the respiratory flow, we thought Flex might be exacerbating the problem.  Once your minimum pressure was over 10, Flex did not seem to make much difference.  So comfort should guide you as to what is best.  Your best results were on Auto at 10-15, and like all the other recent pressure experiments, you are only giving a 2-day trial to these changes.  It's pretty hard to make a conclusion when you keep changing so frequently.  About the only thing I can see in the summary statistics is that with pressure at 10 or more, your apnea is better than when pressure is lower.  I don't see a trend for better results at higher pressures than 10-15 auto.

Yes I was impatient and in a hurry. I will finish the 4th night at min. = max. =12 Been trying to go more slowly with any chasnges.

Sleeprider, just to be clear you think I should go back to 10-15 for a few days and see what happens?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2017, 06:40 PM)Scott C. Wrote: Started dialing it back when I found this site and read the flex could be cause of high AHI  or at least contribute to it.
Am I wrong on this assumption?

Flex has been found to sometimes cause more CA (clear airway) events for some people, just as higher pressures seem to as well for these same people.  So, a reduction in flex is often mentioned to those struggling with CA.

I'm not sure you ever had a sensitivity, so you could try each to get the feeling/relief each one gives.

I would still be increasing the minimum pressure, thinking you are seeing a reduction of flow limitations on this current course.  I was guessing 12.5 might get you there.  I believe that you may get a better flow limitation score if you add to flex, and that is certainly worth trying.

three ideas occur to me, then. 1) stay right where you are, or 2) add flex where you are, or 3) bump up to 12.5/12.5.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Scott,
My idea probably is the least scientific and is very simplistic.  My thought is to find a pressure that is high enough to provide a backpressure to keep your airway open during exhale.  In your case it is around 11cm.  Then use a flex setting of 3.  Add this value (3) to your desired exhale pressure (11), which would put your set pressure at 14cm.  I view this as a "shade tree" bilevel.   I realize more experienced people disagree but I thought I would provide you with my thought process before bowing out.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Here is last nights chart I bumped up the flex to 2. Everything else is the same.
Couple questions,

"QAL"
What does flex do on the Dreamstation? Does the exhale get easier the higher the number?

"Crimson Nape"
 Can you explain more on the "pressure to keep airway open during exhale"? Which chart measures that?
Thanks for the info.

[Image: llClL3sl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
When using a pressure relief during exhale, if the pressure is too low it will allow your airway to collapse causing an OA.  The trick when using this feature is to determine what the minimum pressure value is that will keep your airway open.  The only place that I know where you could view this would be by expanding your Flow Rate and look at you OA's.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2017, 07:51 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: When using a pressure relief during exhale, if the pressure is too low it will allow your airway to collapse causing an OA.  The trick when using this feature is to determine what the minimum pressure value is that will keep your airway open.  The only place that I know where you could view this would be by expanding your Flow Rate and look at you OA's.

Am I wrong in thinking when using flex from 0 - 3.  Is 0 the hardest and 3 being the easiest? While exhaling.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still tired and CA events liebano 2 55 29 minutes ago
Last Post: liebano
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 5 239 8 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 1 69 Yesterday, 01:25 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 182 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,632 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,987 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 183 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.