Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

1 year and still tired!
RE: 1 year and still tired!
(06-27-2017, 07:37 PM)Scott C. Wrote: Oh if anyone has good tips on re-traing your mouth to stay shut please pass it on.

Tongue Seal Technique
Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth, then suck upwards gently. This position helps to create a seal at the back of your throat and blocks air from escaping should you open your mouth.

This can be mastered with practice. Once you master this, you should be able to open your mouth and even talk without air escaping.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2017, 08:08 PM)OpalRose Wrote:
(06-27-2017, 07:37 PM)Scott C. Wrote: Oh if anyone has good tips on re-traing your mouth to stay shut please pass it on.

Tongue Seal Technique
Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth, then suck upwards gently.  This position helps to create a seal at the back of your throat and blocks air from escaping should you open your mouth.

This can be mastered with practice.  Once you master this, you should be able to open your mouth and even talk without air escaping.

Thanks opalrose, Are you using the tongue or the soft palate to seal off the air? If it's your tongue how would you be able to talk? do you need to be hooked up to the c-pap to practice this?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2017, 07:37 PM)Scott C. Wrote: "ajack" what is AFAIK?
AFAIK = As Far As I Know.

Quote:"sleeprider"  I will try those exercises . Does the leak data warrant a mask change? 
Your leaks are quite acceptable even though they are not perfect. (But you don't need a perfect leak graph.)

If the leaks are waking you up, then you need to deal with them. If they're not, what ever you are doing is technically fine. Whether you should change masks is up to you: Sometimes an increase in leaking can indicate the cushion/pillows need to be replaced. So if you are due for a cushion or mask replacement, it's worth a try.

Quote:Here is last nights chart same settings 10 min. pressure and Flex 1  Plus the mouth taping. (really weird feeling with the tape, the collar and the mask) and still woke up with dry mouth several times.
It would be useful to tease out whether those "dry mouth" wakes correspond to the places where the leaking is higher. One way to do that is to turn the machine off and back on every time you wake up enough to know that you are awake.

It's worth remembering that air can get into your oral cavity even when your lips are firmly closed and you don't have any serious leaks going on. So even if you succeeded in eliminating all excess leakage, you might still find yourself waking up with a dry mouth. The trick is to try to teach your tongue to stay put on the roof of your mouth and keep the nasal cavity sealed off from the oral cavity. In the meantime, you might want to use a "dry mouth" mouthwash (like Biotene) for the time being. That can help at least a little bit.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2017, 12:03 AM)robysue Wrote:
(06-27-2017, 07:37 PM)Scott C. Wrote: "ajack" what is AFAIK?
AFAIK = As Far As I Know.

Quote:"sleeprider"  I will try those exercises . Does the leak data warrant a mask change? 
Your leaks are quite acceptable even though they are not perfect. (But you don't need a perfect leak graph.)

If the leaks are waking you up, then you need to deal with them.  If they're not, what ever you are doing is technically fine.  Whether you should change masks is up to you:  Sometimes an increase in leaking can indicate the cushion/pillows need to be replaced. So if you are due for a cushion or mask replacement, it's worth a try.

Quote:Here is last nights chart same settings 10 min. pressure and Flex 1  Plus the mouth taping. (really weird feeling with the tape, the collar and the mask) and still woke up with dry mouth several times.
It would be useful to tease out whether those "dry mouth" wakes correspond to the places where the leaking is higher. One way to do that is to turn the machine off and back on every time you wake up enough to know that you are awake.

It's worth remembering that air can get into your oral cavity even when your lips are firmly closed and you don't have any serious leaks going on. So even if you succeeded in eliminating all excess leakage, you might still find yourself waking up with a dry mouth. The trick is to try to teach your tongue to stay put on the roof of your mouth and keep the nasal cavity sealed off from the oral cavity.  In the meantime, you might want to use a "dry mouth" mouthwash (like Biotene) for the time being.  That can help at least a little bit.
Post Reply Post Reply
robysue by any chance did you look at my previous charts at there leak rate before the tape? just how important is that leak rate? Thanks for your advise I really appreciate it .

Also would I have to lower the min. pressure if the mouth leak is gone?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2017, 12:39 AM)Scott C. Wrote: robysue by any chance did you look at my previous charts at there leak rate before the tape? just how important is that leak rate? Thanks for your advise I really appreciate it .
Give me a hint on where to find them. Are they earlier in this thread? Or are they in a different one? If so, can you post a link?

Quote:Also would I have to lower the min. pressure if the mouth leak is gone?
Your choice: If you are comfortable with your current pressure settings, then there's not a good reason to lower the min pressure setting just because leaks are no longer a problem. But if you are really uncomfortable with your current pressure settings, the lowering the min pressure by 1 or 2 cm is an idea that's worth considering as an experiment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2017, 07:37 PM)Scott C. Wrote: `

"ajack" what is AFAIK? the pressure doesn't really bother me as much as I thought it would. Have not had an ah-ha moment in over a year so I am willing to try any and all suggestions. Including taping. Which by the way as far as I know it stayed on all night. Sleepyhead said I had an acceptable amount of large leaks.

[Image: dXPRosdl.png]

That chart looks good to me, I'd be happy with that. A lot better than page 1. Now it's just the leaks and such to fix. I wear a full face mask, an F20, It's not that bad, if you can't get the nasal to work. You really do get use to it and it could also come in handy as a spare, when you got a cold. I still find DS slow to react, it only found an event at 3:30 to react to. The saw teeth are just the machine looking to see if a higher pressure is better.

AFAIK, as far as I know..... I'm still learning this stuff and every little bit helps me help myself too.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
"robysue" here is a zoom in when I woke up with dry mouth. Looks to me the pressure was increasing at the time as you thought. You can view my previous charts on this thread. ( there are 2 charts on this post, first is zoomed in on a awakening event. 2nd on is zoomed all the way out to show AHI graph with interesting flat spots with no events. And the leak rate graph with no tape.

[Image: HPLnVWkl.png]

"ajake" Here is last nights chart without mouth tape. I changed the max. pressure to 13 because I thought it might help with dry mouth via You tube. Will stay at these settings for a few days, still messing with humidity. Currently it is set to adaptive. And 3 on main menu. Also the CAs have come down.

[Image: FDF72zFl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
I can tell you my story with the FFM. I have an A/C on, so it's warm dry air, this time of year down here. I have my humidity set to 5, the machine max is 6. That works for me, unless I get a large leak and have more volume of air passing through the mask. Leaks don't wake me up anymore and I then I awake in the morning with a dry mouth (I'm a mouth breather) I can tell by how much water was used, to what the leaks were like

I think your CA would settle anyway, it was just your system getting use to you getting the cpap working. 13 is fine, you could set 12 If you want to limit the variations of pressure, You could even use cpap mode and a manual fixed pressure of 12 with a bit of flex for awhile. Several people have posted here, saying a fixed pressure works better for them.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
quick note: I'm on the road and won't have internet the next couple of days except intermittently. Will post a response when I have the time and the internet.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still tired and CA events liebano 0 10 27 minutes ago
Last Post: liebano
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 1 60 3 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 194 Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Abhi
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 172 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,623 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,974 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 178 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.