Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

1 year and still tired!
RE: 1 year and still tired!
You are correct sir. While it is not exactly like a Resmed, I believe that the number still correlates with the pressure reduction.

P-R users please help me out on this.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
there is a relationship between the level of relief during exhale and the flex number. the greater the flex, the greater the difference between inhale pressure and exhale pressure. so, your gut feeling was correct. the flex relief is also proportional to the flow rate of each breath, so there is not a direct number of x.xx cm that you get for each step in flex. so a different amount of relief is supplied on each breath. you breathe in shallow, it relieves very little, but if you get a really deep breath, you get more relief.

I didn't see much difference in the last night with the flex adjustment, except in the flow limitations. more flex sometimes results in more FL, RERA, H, and CA. more OA is not out of the question, but probably within normal variations. besides the flow limitation significantly changing, H increased some, CA reduced some, and RERA is at 0.0.

Did you feel a difference?

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2017, 11:17 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: there is a relationship between the level of relief during exhale and the flex number.  the greater the flex, the greater the difference between inhale pressure and exhale pressure. so, your gut feeling was correct.  the flex relief is also proportional to the flow rate of each breath, so there is not a direct number of x.xx cm that you get for each step in flex.  so a different amount of relief is supplied on each breath. you breathe in shallow, it relieves very little, but if you get a really deep breath, you get more relief.

I didn't see much difference in the last night with the flex adjustment, except in the flow limitations.  more flex sometimes results in more FL, RERA, H, and CA.  more OA is not out of the question, but probably within normal variations.  besides the flow limitation significantly changing, H increased some, CA reduced some, and RERA is at 0.0.

Did you feel a difference?

QAL

QAL I thought it felt like the rhythm  had changed, ( inhaling and exhaling) if that makes sense . Maybe a little easier to exhale.  But I may have been thinking about it too much. Will keep settings the same tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-25-2017, 10:02 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: You are correct sir.  While it is not exactly like a Resmed, I believe that the number still correlates with the pressure reduction.  

P-R users please help me out on this.

" Crimson Nape"So if I go to flex 3 which is the easiest to exhale, why would that be helpful? I'm a little confused. I'm not getting the whole exhale pressure and inhale pressure you mentioned.
Keeping the settings the same tonight with flex 2.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2017, 12:31 AM)Scott C. Wrote: QAL I thought it felt like the rhythm had changed, (inhaling and exhaling) if that makes sense. Maybe a little easier to exhale.  But I may have been thinking about it too much. Will keep settings the same tonight.
yes. I don't think it is your imagination - it seems like the machine is maybe somewhat pushy at flex of 2. I have mine on 2 as well and got used to the feeling and don't even notice now. A flex of 3 will seem even more aggressive, maybe annoyingly. I guess one would get used to it as well. Anyway, I don't mean to spoil it for you, you'll have to make up your own mind if you like 3 (should you ever try. he he)

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
My 3 cents:   Smile
What I've noticed using the flex feature is at a setting of 3, I felt as if my inhalation was being rushed, like I wasn't ready to inhale.  It was uncomfortable for me.
I've tried all 3 settings and 1 and 2 seems to work the best for me.

As stated above, you just have to try and see what feels the best for your breathing and realize it is based on flow.  Also, Flex is not the same as EPR used on ResMed machines.
On ResMed machines, you get pressure relief based on the setting of 1, 2 or 3.  If you set it at 3, the pressure drops 3cm upon exhalation.   "Almost" like a true bilevel.

Flex Settings:
You can receive "up to" 2cm pressure relief, which is "flow" based.
C-Flex - provides pressure relief upon exhalation.
A-Flex/C-Flex+ - provides pressure relief taking place at the end of inhalation and at the start of exhalation.

I have gone back through many #SleepyHead graphs and find that no matter which setting is used, there is no more than a reduction of 2cm in exhale pressure, sometimes only 1 to 1.5 reduction.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is last nights chart. Still not sure about this whole flex thing. In an ideal world is it better to have it turned off? Or is it just a comfort factor while exhaling. I guess what I'm trying to ask is "What am I trying to achieve with the Flex setting?"

This is second night at flex 2 on the Dreamstation. Pressure same min. = max. = 12, tape and collar. (total 5 nights at 12)

[Image: TxEu9bPl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
With Flex, I believe it is a comfort feature. Since you are using a pressure of 12-12, mabye you should turn it off so that there is no drop in pressure at all.

Sorry, I didn't have time to read back and see if you have already tried that with over 248 posts, but it wouldn't hurt to try it.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2017, 12:53 PM)OpalRose Wrote: With Flex, I believe it is a comfort feature.  Since you are using a pressure of 12-12, mabye you should turn it off so that there is no drop in pressure at all.  

Sorry, I didn't have time to read back and see if you have already tried that with over 248 posts, but it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Thanks OpalRose. have not tried it yet. That is why I was wondering the purpose of the flex. Should I be going up or down with flex? Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2017, 12:57 PM)Scott C. Wrote:
(07-26-2017, 12:53 PM)OpalRose Wrote: With Flex, I believe it is a comfort feature.  Since you are using a pressure of 12-12, mabye you should turn it off so that there is no drop in pressure at all.  

Thanks OpalRose. have not tried it yet. That is why I was wondering the purpose of the flex. Should I be going up or down with flex? Dont-know

My machine offers C-flex, A-flex, or None.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 5 230 6 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Still tired and CA events liebano 1 46 9 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 1 68 Yesterday, 01:25 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 181 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,632 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,987 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 182 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.