Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

1 year in, some thoughts and advice to newbies
RE: 1 year in, some thoughts and advice to newbies
Thanks for posting this ISnoreBadly . I'm into my 6th week and I have to say there's been some frustrating nights. I don't feel any better during the day, I still yawn on the train coming to work and I do still feel like I would like to have a nap everyday around lunch time. However I do believe in the statistics that I'm getting. My sleep study 6 months ago showed I was having an average of 23.8 events p/h with the longest attack lasting 59.6 seconds. My sleep report now shows my average events at 1.6 p/h with the longest attack at 15 seconds. Based on those figures alone, I know it must be doing me good and I will keep going.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I'm brand new to this and last night had panic attack of "I can't do this the rest of my life!"

So, your posting is very helpful to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-04-2016, 10:19 AM)KarKat Wrote: Thank you. I'm brand new to this and last night had panic attack of "I can't do this the rest of my life!"

I'm pretty new at this too, 1 month exactly. I had a thought while reading your post about that panic. I have the same machine as you and my doc had them set the pressure at the beginning of my ramp at 4, which is very low. On our machines, the ramp stays at the initial pressure until it thinks you're asleep, then increases the pressures and starts responding to your breathing. While on ramp, I was sucking hard for air, feeling kind of panicky and not falling asleep. You can bypass the ramp mode by running mask fit, found under "my options" and it will increase the pressure to therapeutic levels. If you push "home," then the knob on the front of the machine on "sleep report" while it is running, it will tell you what the pressure is at that moment. Hope that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!
That was really kind of you to post this, and what you said is so true!

Unfortunately, I went through 3 sleep doctors until I found one who truly cared AND knew what she was doing. And, I went through about 7 different nasal masks, until she determined I was a mouth breather and prescribed a full-face mask. And, I couldn't tolerate straight pressure from a CPAP, so an auto-BiPap upped my compliance to 100%. Now I feel naked without my mask... or something like that. When everything finally comes together, the treatment is actually kind of soothing.

Again, thank you for a really uplifting post.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Best of luck!
(08-04-2016, 10:19 AM)KarKat Wrote: Thank you. I'm brand new to this and last night had panic attack of "I can't do this the rest of my life!"

Well, I never had a panic attack - but I did throw a TV remote once out of frustration!

The folks on this forum are really wonderful and YouTube also has a ton of information.

My only piece of advice to you is don't panic! Oh, and my second only piece of advice is to waste no time in securing an automatic, data-capable machine if you don't already have one and you can't seem to adjust to your machine in a month or two. In the early days, I had a ton of trouble exhaling against the pressure. It was miserable. The technology is vastly improved. With the automatic or Bi-Pap machines, you forget the machine is even working sometimes. Also, get someone to tell you if you're mouth-breathing, because you might need a different kind of mask.

I wish you well! Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 162 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 248 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 848 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,775 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,599 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,457 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.