Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

10 Years of Absolute Misery
RE: 10 Years of Absolute Misery
Mouth taping is the easiest and most effective way of stopping mouth breathing and mouth leaks. The point is just to see, for one night, if it significantly reduces leaks.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2019, 10:30 AM)JoeyWallaby Wrote: Mouth taping is the easiest and most effective way of stopping mouth breathing and mouth leaks. The point is just to see, for one night, if it significantly reduces leaks.

Wouldn't using a FFM accomplish the same thing?  If I breath out of my mouth that would be ok.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2019, 04:28 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: We might learn something from a trial on variable pressure that may help find a better solution. If you don't mind setting the mode to Auto and using a minimum of 11 and maximum of 15, I'd like to see what that looks like and feels like.  Also use AFlex at 2.

Unless there is a very compelling reason I am not willing to try this experiment again.  I feel even worse than normal.  Very, Very poor sleep quality.  All I want is the day to end so I can sleep again.  And no, I can't sleep during the day and have been unable for many years.  Body has just adapted to being a zombie.  

Rested, refreshed and ready to start the day! /s  BTW if I go outside looking like this without sunglasses people will judge you.  They probably think I'm either homeless and alcoholic or both (neither is true).  I also can't do anything involving complexity or on the fly decisions, like driving.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2019, 10:38 AM)SorryIamNormal Wrote:
(12-14-2019, 10:30 AM)JoeyWallaby Wrote: Mouth taping is the easiest and most effective way of stopping mouth breathing and mouth leaks. The point is just to see, for one night, if it significantly reduces leaks.

Wouldn't using a FFM accomplish the same thing?  If I breath out of my mouth that would be ok.

Since I've worn FFM since I started in 2001 here in my take on it.  If your jaw falls back severely when you sleep you might need an oral device to keep your jaw from sinking so the mask will stay sealed.  For one or two nights it isn't worth buying a FFM and trying to figure that out.

The older FFM masks needed more strap pressure to get a good seal so I made my own headgear using elastic straps with plastic tri-glide buckles.  My non-scientific reasoning was that as I moved my head the elastic would provide increased pressure to keep the mask in place.  Every Resmed FFM mask I used before the F20 had a flimsy cushion so they really didn't float on your face and stay in place.  You have to use less pressure on the new ones.  At this point, this too much of a rabbit hole just to test things out.

I also use a soft cervical collar, but not to prevent my jaw from opening.  It is not a cure, but it seems to help to keep my mouth closed.

Down the road after you have worked out your therapy, you may want to look into a FFM.  However, over the years, I have found that there is not too much encouragement on any apnea forum to use one except as a last resort; or if you have a cold.  It is kind of like that Uncle you have to invite to Christmas.

John
Post Reply Post Reply

Yes but full face masks have worse leakage than nasal masks (increased surface area).
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
I spent 2k on a dental sleep device that wound up putting too much pressure on my molar and costing thousands of dollars to fix.  I'm not buying another dental sleep device because I only got 800 back for the 2k I spent.  I'd be open to something off of Amazon.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2019, 12:39 PM)JoeyWallaby Wrote:

Yes but full face masks have worse leakage than nasal masks (increased surface area).

I spent 2k on a dental sleep device that wound up putting too much pressure on my molar and costing thousands of dollars to fix.  I'm not buying another dental sleep device because I only got 800 back for the 2k I spent.  I'd be open to something off of Amazon.
Post Reply Post Reply
What?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2019, 12:36 PM)70sSanO Wrote:

Since I've worn FFM since I started in 2001 here in my take on it.  If your jaw falls back severely when you sleep you might need an oral device to keep your jaw from sinking so the mask will stay sealed.  For one or two nights it isn't worth buying a FFM and trying to figure that out.

The older FFM masks needed more strap pressure to get a good seal so I made my own headgear using elastic straps with plastic tri-glide buckles.  My non-scientific reasoning was that as I moved my head the elastic would provide increased pressure to keep the mask in place.  Every Resmed FFM mask I used before the F20 had a flimsy cushion so they really didn't float on your face and stay in place.  You have to use less pressure on the new ones.  At this point, this too much of a rabbit hole just to test things out.

I also use a soft cervical collar, but not to prevent my jaw from opening.  It is not a cure, but it seems to help to keep my mouth closed.

Down the road after you have worked out your therapy, you may want to look into a FFM.  However, over the years, I have found that there is not too much encouragement on any apnea forum to use one except as a last resort; or if you have a cold.  It is kind of like that Uncle you have to invite to Christmas.

John

I am sorry.  I was replying specifically to 70sSanO but brain isn't working correctly.  70sSanO had mentioned a dental device and that is what I was replying to.
Post Reply Post Reply
All good. If you'd like to upload your CPAP data, I can look at it closer (copy paste everything from SD card, compress as .zip file, upload). Because you're using a Philips machine, it's missing some of the scoring and charts that I'm used to.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 176 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,009 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 677 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 540 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 291 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  5 years and never looked at the stats, need advice StephenB 5 346 02-08-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.