Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Starting [CPAP] Tonight
RE: Starting [CPAP] Tonight
If I remember right the Dreamstation rises the pressure at regular intervals to test the airflow to ensures a optimum setting.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2017, 03:12 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: First of all, look at those great respiratory statistics.  Great tidal volume, good respiration rate and nothing but good health there.  A bit of leakage in teh nasal mask, but nothing out of control.  Your Philips unit does not graph flow limitation but charts it as an event, and just a couple events showing in the FL line.  Events are entirely hypopnea which suggests  you could benefit from increasing your minimum pressure (5), by at least .5 cm and possibly 1.0 cm to 6.0.   I think I'd try 6.0 unless the pressure bothers you and give that a try.  

Good results to start!

So after a week I am kind of getting used to wearing this.  I came down with a bad head cold and am congested on both sides.  I did some searching and found that it is still advised to use the machine when sick.  I have still felt like I am struggling for air when first laying down at night and the congestion only made it worse.  I turned on the heat and humidity and boosted my starting pressure to 6.0 as you suggested earlier.  My fear is that using the excuse of being sick to not wear it will take me backwards.  I honestly, don't really like this thing that much and it would be real easy at this point to just return it... (which I know is not in my best interest).  I am still waking up several times a night to use the restroom and I don't see that changing.  You could almost set a watch by my schedule.  That's not really an issue as I do find it easy to get the mask on and I don't feel that struggle for air in the middle of the night when laying back down.  I fall back asleep easily.  

Here is the chart from last night after changing my start pressure to 6.0   As always I appreciate the comments.

[Image: J6iYiQy.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see anything that would contradict increasing the minimum pressure to 7.0, and it might help with the sensation of not getting enough air. As you get into the later part of the night, the flow rate is imbalanced, and you may be inhaling using the mask and exhaling through your mouth. A close up of the flow chart might help check that out. This may explain the higher leak rate and ragged look to the exhale side of the flow.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What time frame would you like to see expanded and I will re-generate the chart.  I appreciate your help.

EDIT:

I'm not positive but as I look at the Flow Rate graph. I think I see what your talking about. As I look at previous nights graphs I don't see this difference in the flow rates. Is it possible this is do to the nasal congestion?
Post Reply Post Reply
A couple minutes around 01:08 to 01:11 would work fine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2017, 11:51 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: A couple minutes around 01:08 to 01:11 would work fine.

Here it is:
[Image: 1gMveZs.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
In respiration, what goes in, must come out. It doesn't in this case, at least not through the mask. In many of these breaths the expiratory cycle is completely missing or very abbreviated. If you see this pattern often, use a full face mask.

The Flow Rate chart can show a dashed red line at the zero mark. Just right click on the left margin and format the Y-Axis, then select dashed line. Everything above the line is inhale, everything below is exhale.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2017, 04:37 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: In respiration, what goes in, must come out.  It doesn't in this case, at least not through the mask. In many of these breaths the expiratory cycle is completely missing or very abbreviated.  If you see this pattern often, use a full face mask.

The Flow Rate chart can show a dashed red line at the zero mark.  Just right click on the left margin and format the Y-Axis, then select dashed line.  Everything above the line is inhale, everything below is exhale.

I looked back on my previous charts and don't really see anything like last night.  I have a head cold and am congested today,  probably worse than last night. As I sit here now I can hardly breath through my nose.  I'll consider some decongestants but they have a weird affect on me and I will likely lay awake all night if I take any.

The only other change I made was increasing my starting pressure from 5 to 6.

Thanks for the tip on formatting the graph.  That's helpful.  Are there any other standard changes that most users would make to the setup of the graphs from the default installation I should consider.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 671 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  iNAP First Night Test Tonight (Running with APAP) Apnea23 4 1,211 01-21-2024, 10:32 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 323 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  heart palpitations starting CPAP: temporary? acordeon 4 630 12-14-2023, 08:49 PM
Last Post: acordeon
  [Equipment] unusual high pressure when starting treatment klbklb7 9 720 11-21-2023, 12:41 AM
Last Post: klbklb7
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 4 475 11-20-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Increased Anxiety/Irritability after Starting CPAP? gohoos1998 0 400 11-17-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.