Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

10 years...upgrade time?
10 years...upgrade time?
New member, I have been using my remstar plus "c-flex" cpap with mirage quattro FFM for 10 yrs now but I think it's time to get serious and start working on the best sleep possible. For the past year or so my sleep has been more restless and I have found myself napping on the couch every night. So I think it's time for some asjustments. Without having any data to go on I think a new machine is in order and/or perhaps a new mask. My current setting is 10 but I think it should probably be more. I know it's a lot of things to change at once and since I'll be paying out of pocket I would like to avoid unnecessary purchases. I know I tried a couple different masks when I first received the device but I don't recall my exact reasons for selecting a ffm other than it seemed more secure and was "recommended".

I have a few questions:

1. New machine or new mask or both? (basically is the data more important than the equipment as I sort this out?)
2. is it worth trying to go nasal mask or cushion since I currently have a FFM to go back to or should I try another FFM like the simplus? (currently debating simplus vs amara view vs dreamwear)
3. Do many people find they are still taping their mouth closed and/or wearing a mouth guard with FFM or is that usually strictly required for nasal masks? (I'm sort of trying to solve for problems I'm not sure I have but want to be prepared)
4. I stopped using the humidifier many years ago because it was just too much hassle. I never get dried out unless I sleep with my mouth open but does this provide other features I am not aware of specific to sleep? I dont live in a dry climate, and I have only used it 2 or 3 times in the past 8 years when I had a cold. My tubing, masks, cushions seem to last a hell of a lot longer since I stopped using the humidifier but as stated I am ready to do what needs done, including going to a nasal mask, taping my mouth or wearing a mouth guard.

5. while we are at it, based on my current settings and equipment are there any safe or general recommendations for machine and for mask? I have a narrow face and a big nose so I have wrestled with this mask quite a bit. The biggest complaint I have about the quattro is after a while the cushion gets soft and I battle leaks around the sides of my mouth, I have heard the microfiber covers can help with this seal. I am a side sleeper by choice but usually wake up on my back. however, I feel I am ahead of the curve as the habit has been formed and I actually need this thing to go to sleep, I wake up if it comes off (ripped off or otherwise).

For machines I am comparing the Airsense 10 auto vs dreamstation auto or perhaps I can get by or be adequately served by a previous model (S9 auto??) ?

For masks, I know these are deeply personal preference but I can't decide if it worth trying multiple styles at this point or just going for a couple different makes/model of the style I currently have...

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 10 years...upgrade time?
Welcome to Apnea Board, fat1
First of all, its terribly important to find yourself a mask that you're comfortable and happy with
I started few years ago with full face mask, leaked a lot on me, then changed to nasal mask and been using the same mask eevr since
A chinstrap worn over the mask helps keep the mask in place and minimise mouth leaks
My first machine was S9 AutoSet and last year upgraded to AirSense 10 AutoSet, both machines are excellent choice and provide good amount of data on the machine screen and on the SD card
Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
A new machine is certainly in order. You will need a prescription, but since you are paying out of pocket that rx can be your old one, if you have it, or a dentist or a PA or your current GP can write one. The new machines are quieter and deliver a smoother therapy. You will be pleased. the auto feature means that you can find your current best pressure (unlikely it's the same) and depending on the data and how you feel you might leave it on auto, or return to a fixed pressure - both machines you are looking at support the data, and the auto mode. An S9 Auto would be a great idea if you can find one, as I don't think the new ones are updated in the therapy, just the form factor, and the S9 is decoupled from the humidifier, unlike the A10.

Speaking of humidifier, some people do better with, some without. on the with side, amounts are highly variable. completely up to your comfort.

WRT masks, I have only ever used the pillows, so can't answer much there. Smile

Welcome
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2017, 07:23 PM)DariaVader Wrote: An S9 Auto would be a great idea if you can find one, as I don't think the new ones are updated in the therapy, just the form factor, and the S9 is decoupled from the humidifier, unlike the A10.
I'm sure my good friend referring to "S9 AutoSet", not the semi brick "S9 Escape Auto"
[Image: s9-autoset-models.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply
Lots of questions here. It's been 10 years since you last updated equipment. You will need a prescription and you need to decide if you are going to use insurance to get equipment or not. Your primary physician should be willing to write you a prescription for new auto CPAP and mask. It is possible, your insurance will require you to produce evidence of medical necessity by taking a sleep study. My preference would be to subject them to a night of my snoring, gasping and other inconveniences, but such is the nature of an insurance company today.

So, are your copays and deductible expenses low, or would it be more time and cost effective to self-finance between $400 and $900 for new equipment? Keep in mind costs for sleep studies, and equipment can go over $4000 pretty easily, so put that in your copay calculator. You sound like a self-finance guy to me, and we can help you keep it cheap.

Your questions:
1. Get all new equipment. Machines have a serviceable life of up to 7 years, and masks about 1-year. Your crap is OLD! Time to change.

2. It's always worth going with nasal pillows. They're cheap, effective and comfortable. If they leak and you can't handle it, you're out $68.

3. Tape? Not my thing. If it doesn't work, find something that does.

4. All the modern machines come with integrated humidifier solutions, and all us cool kids do it. You can be cool too.

5. Safe recommendation for a machine...Get the Respironics Dreamstation Auto DX500T11. Look on Amazon for a deal under $400. I like the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset better, but you're going to have to look on Craigslist or do some real searching for lightly used, to find one under $400. We talked about nasal pillows. Try the Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows mask. You're going to need size large pillows, but the kit comes with all 3 sizes on Amazon for $68. Trade the small and medium for large. If the Quattro works for you, just find a way to keep supplied with a new cushion every 4 months. Ebay? Don't try to use old crap that leaks...it doesn't work.

Supplier #1 will sell masks with a 30 day return policy if it doesn't work. Nice way to try different styles if you're trying something else. Not a bad price, but not super cheap either. I like them as a fair supplier.

I went into machines earlier. If you can find an Airsense 10 Autoset at a good price, jump on it The previous model S9 Autoset is every bit as good. Look for a deal. The Dreamstation is a million times better than what you use now and not too far behind. Get one, then start looking for deals on a Resmed. Everyone needs a backup.

Good luck! Hope it all works out.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My deductibles are ridiculous right now and it is not worth the effort. I will get the RX from my original study or from my GP. For machines I was looking to buy new and was pretty much looking at the AirSense 10, S9, dreamstation or system one series 60, all APAP of course. I'd prefer to stay around$750 with a different mask or two and my recent shopping leads me to believe this is doable for most of those options other than the airsense 10. I will research the P10 as suggested. I think I have a better idea of the direction I need to go, thank you for the specific dreamstation model number
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi fat1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy and finding a new machine, you will be better served by the newer technology with a newer one.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2017, 09:00 PM)fat1 Wrote: My deductibles are ridiculous right now and it is not worth the effort. I will get the RX from my original study or from my GP. For machines I was looking to buy new and was pretty much looking at the AirSense 10, S9, dreamstation or system one series 60, all APAP of course. I'd prefer to stay around$750 with a different mask or two and my recent shopping leads me to believe this is doable for most of those options other than the airsense 10. I will research the P10 as suggested. I think I have a better idea of the direction I need to go, thank you for the specific dreamstation model number

All of these are great options. You seem to have done a good job researching what you want. Don't forget Craigslist sometimes yields amazing deals on new and near-new equipment. That is viable if you know what you're looking at. Also check for open box inventory from Supplier #2.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is my opinion based on my experience with fairly high pressure. With the Quattro Mirage The cushions can be made to last longer by not washing the cushions with soap but using something like Pampers baby wipes to clean them. Wash the rest of the mask all you want. The flexible silicone has a plasticizer in it that it loses over time and with washings. The baby wipes seem to help the silicone to retain the plasticizer.

Best Regards

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 206 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,431 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 616 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 177 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 171 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.