Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

109AHI, starting 2nd week on CPAP, have some questions
Question 
109AHI, starting 2nd week on CPAP, have some questions
Lifelong 'snorer'. Finally decided to do something about it.

Went in for a sleep study about a month ago, and ended up with a wonderful 109AHI.

Starting week 2 of my CPAP treatment. My pressure range is currently at 8-20, but I'm still averaging between 12 and 21AHI overnight, with peaks as high as 45AHI.

I was wondering if I should be patient as I've only been using the machine for a week, or if I should be working with my healthcare professional to get the machine adjusted.

I do find myself currently waking up 1-2 times a night, usually right after a significant pressure jump.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 109AHI, starting 2nd week on CPAP, have some questions
One week is still early, that being said your numbers are perhaps a little high to just wait it out-this coupled with the wide settings on your machine. Posting a plot from sleepyhead would help a lot. We need to see just how high your pressure is going and what the pressure is doing when you are having apneas still.

You have taken big step in getting your SA under control, and there is still room to do more!
Post Reply Post Reply
as poolq said - you should post some daily plots. you need a few more posts to actually post live links, but you can post cheater links containing removable spaces for something like this.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/misc.ph...elp&hid=22 for helps on formatting an image.

My son had an AHI like yours, and in his case, starting at 8 just wasn't enough. My guess is we will see that with you as well, but that could be dead wrong and you might have complex apnea, where upping the pressure makes it worse --- so really need to see data before making an actual recommend
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

Be sure to get a copy of your complete sleep report and your prescription.

Just get accustomed to CPAP for now. Post some plots (graphs); it's useful to see what the AHI is composed of: OA, HA, CA...

You are only at the start of your journey; you may graduate to a bilevel or an ASV machine with time.

a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step -- Laozi from the Tao Te Ching
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi toinewi,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It can take time to get used to your mask and machine, so just stick with it.
Hang in there form ore answers to your questions and good luck to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
A life of CPAP begins with a single breath -- justMongo from the Apnea Board
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI 109 - holy sh*t! That means you stop breathing twice every minute for at least 10 seconds. I'll let you do the rest of the maths. Your current numbers are a huge improvement and proves that xPAP should work for you. it's now a matter of tweaking your settings to get the best result. The folks on this forum can definitely help you do that. It's a gradual process but one well worth pursuing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all. Yeah, I was pretty much scared sh*tless upon getting the AHI numbers.
I'll be sure to get a full copy of my sleep study results. I talked to my resp. therapist, and they suggested contacting the sleep study medical staff about getting my starting pressure raised a bit. I will say I'm happy so far with being less tired, and last night was a nice solid 8+ hours on the CPAP.

Soon as I can post, I'll go ahead and add some plots.
Post Reply Post Reply
you need 2 more posts, is all... you can make one by telling us what was last night's AHI? and what was the breakdown of contributing events? (CA, OA, H) This can be seen on the left side of the daily graph
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
Last night's I haven't checked in Sleepyhead as of yet, but I do know the machine claimed about an 18AHI, which typically means I had a horrid first half of the night. When I can finally post plots, you'll see what the mountain ranges I've been dealing with look like.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 6 512 Yesterday, 08:14 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 163 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 108 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 205 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 226 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 267 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.