Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

10th night, and all is wonderful!
RE: 10th night, and all is wonderful!
Thanks for the advice Sleepster...great idea to research first. I generally do that with anything I purchase, but never thought about it for this machine. As far as I know, this machine does not record anything..at least I was not told of it. I will get the little book out today that came with it. Here in Canada the government pays for 75 or 80%, and my extra coverage, I believe pays the rest. The tech sent away a pre-determination to them. She thought they paid to a max of $200.00, but my booklet does not mention a max. Either way, I def want a good machine, with a heated humidifier, quiet and a data chip. It doens't matter what I have to pay, I want a good one, since I will be using it all the time. I will have a lot to learn with the data chip, but I like to learn and feel that I have some input in the whole thing. Thanks so much for the suggestion!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2012, 06:04 AM)kitley Wrote: Thanks for the advice Sleepster...great idea to research first. I generally do that with anything I purchase, but never thought about it for this machine. As far as I know, this machine does not record anything..at least I was not told of it. I will get the little book out today that came with it. Here in Canada the government pays for 75 or 80%, and my extra coverage, I believe pays the rest. The tech sent away a pre-determination to them. She thought they paid to a max of $200.00, but my booklet does not mention a max. Either way, I def want a good machine, with a heated humidifier, quiet and a data chip. It doens't matter what I have to pay, I want a good one, since I will be using it all the time. I will have a lot to learn with the data chip, but I like to learn and feel that I have some input in the whole thing. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Probably depends on your province - in Ontario, OHIP (Technically ADP) pays 75% of the "approved price" and you pay the rest. Here's their info page: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/publ.../cpap.html

Note that your RT and sleep doc can widely vary on what they'll submit to ADP for you - My step-father was the first one to get a machine, CPAP at 16 cm H2O, and he couldn't wear the thing, mentioned it to his RT a few days later, and was swapped to APAP on the spot. "It's easy, just need to get your Dr to approve, we've got a pre-made letter I'll fax to him to sign..." Then I got mine, and ended up buying it outright because I *wanted* the APAP machine (same thing, tried CPAP at my pressure- 18 cm - couldn't get used to it...they dropped it to 16 and then 14...still rough, but... um... if I need 18....?). My sleep Dr, according to 3 different RT's in 3 different clinics then the one the DR sent me to "doesn't believe in APAP..." so there was no way he was going to say I needed one. Then my step sister, heh, went in for her last appt, dr said "CPAP at 10." She said "well, my brother and father suggest that an APAP might be better for getting used to..."

"Oh, here, let me change that then..."

*grumble*

BTW - I sent my sleep dr about a years worth of data that shows that I vary between a 95th percentile pressure of 12.5 up to 18.5 not too long ago. He had told me that they couldn't justify APAP because they didn't see a 5 cm H2O variance. :-P
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2012, 09:07 AM)CHanlon Wrote:
(04-16-2012, 06:04 AM)kitley Wrote: Thanks for the advice Sleepster...great idea to research first. I generally do that with anything I purchase, but never thought about it for this machine. As far as I know, this machine does not record anything..at least I was not told of it. I will get the little book out today that came with it. Here in Canada the government pays for 75 or 80%, and my extra coverage, I believe pays the rest. The tech sent away a pre-determination to them. She thought they paid to a max of $200.00, but my booklet does not mention a max. Either way, I def want a good machine, with a heated humidifier, quiet and a data chip. It doens't matter what I have to pay, I want a good one, since I will be using it all the time. I will have a lot to learn with the data chip, but I like to learn and feel that I have some input in the whole thing. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Probably depends on your province - in Ontario, OHIP (Technically ADP) pays 75% of the "approved price" and you pay the rest. Here's their info page: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/publ.../cpap.html

Note that your RT and sleep doc can widely vary on what they'll submit to ADP for you - My step-father was the first one to get a machine, CPAP at 16 cm H2O, and he couldn't wear the thing, mentioned it to his RT a few days later, and was swapped to APAP on the spot. "It's easy, just need to get your Dr to approve, we've got a pre-made letter I'll fax to him to sign..." Then I got mine, and ended up buying it outright because I *wanted* the APAP machine (same thing, tried CPAP at my pressure- 18 cm - couldn't get used to it...they dropped it to 16 and then 14...still rough, but... um... if I need 18....?). My sleep Dr, according to 3 different RT's in 3 different clinics then the one the DR sent me to "doesn't believe in APAP..." so there was no way he was going to say I needed one. Then my step sister, heh, went in for her last appt, dr said "CPAP at 10." She said "well, my brother and father suggest that an APAP might be better for getting used to..."

*grumble*

BTW - I sent my sleep dr about a years worth of data that shows that I vary between a 95th percentile pressure of 12.5 up to 18.5 not too long ago. He had told me that they couldn't justify APAP because they didn't see a 5 cm H2O variance. :-P

Hi CHanon...yes, I am in Ontario too. I just was not sure if the tech told me 75 or 80 %. I have just emailed the tech to see what machines they carry. Don't know what an APAP is, but I seem to be fine with what I have. Thanks so much for your info.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2012, 10:11 AM)kitley Wrote:
(04-16-2012, 09:07 AM)CHanlon Wrote:

*grumble*

Hi CHanon...yes, I am in Ontario too. I just was not sure if the tech told me 75 or 80 %. I have just emailed the tech to see what machines they carry. Don't know what an APAP is, but I seem to be fine with what I have. Thanks so much for your info.

APAP is an automatically self adjusting CPAP machine. Same thing, different day. :-) The advantage to it is that rather then one fixed pressure that they arrive at during your final titration study, it is set with a high and low value, for a range. It uses the lowest pressure that you currently need, and ramps up as it detects your need for higher pressure...and down again when you don't. That last bit is where it was more comfortable for me - with a fix CPAP pressure, I found it would keep waking me, and in fact I was having issues with feeling "inflated" when I'd change to a position where I didn't need the same pressure. With the APAP machine, I've never had that happen.

You might find that your RT will suggest one, depending on your ability to get comfortable with the CPAP. He should also give you the freedom to try different machines and mask (and combination of them) until you find a rig that you can use comfortably.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I have now begun my research. The tech emailed me my choices. They are ....Fisher & Paykell Icon Premo, Resmed S9 Elite, and Respironics-Ca 151H. They are all the same price..what that is I didn't ask. She would suggest either of the first two, as the Respironics does not have the option of being able to use a heated hose. So far, I have found limited info to compare the two. I have discovered that the first one is a tad nosier, but weighs less, and also I can not alter the ramp time, and does not have c flex....which I believe would help me at this time. Weight matters as I will be travelling across the country in June...but think I will just need to have a sore arms, as I believe the second one might be the right one for me. Does anyone know of a good, unbiased site to compare the machines?
Post Reply Post Reply
I got the S9 Autoset specifically because of the support for it I found, here. You can get the manuals, the clinicians manual, everything. I got all of that before I ever went to get the machine, and when I went to my RT for it, we sat and discussed exactly how I wanted it set up... and I had the answers from the research I did here.

Not sure if the S9 Elite is the other one that's fully data compatible, but someone else here will know. :-) You want one that is, even if you never look at the detailed info after the first couple months or so. Just so *you* know that your therapy is working. The S9s are nice for that because they use just a standard SD card, nothing in a proprietary format, no fancy reader required. And the software is available for free. IIRC respironics charges for theirs.

Price - don't worry about it. Prices are set by OHIP, the RT gets the same amount regardless. Only change is for different types of machine, they get more for an APAP then a CPAP, for instance. Of course, the MSRP is more too... they probably make less of a margin on an APAP then a CPAP, etc. All that concerns you is your co-pay... you're looking probably around $300, give or take.

Weight - the S9 is pretty light, less then a laptop, even a netbook. It's really pretty insignificant. And that's in it's bag, with the humidifier, manuals, hose, mask, and anything else I stuffed in there so I didn't forget it. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
There is an Elite Escape. Don't get that one. Escape from any Escape.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2012, 11:28 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: There is an Elite Escape. Don't get that one. Escape from any Escape.

Ah, so the Elite has data...the Escape doesn't, right?

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, that was the Escape Auto. And yes, it collects nothing but compliance.

Edited to add: I was wrong again. The Escape Auto does show AHI.

http://www.resmed.com/int/products/produ...rison.html
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just wanted to add that the S9 Escape Auto doesn't shows breakdown of AHI (AI-HI-CAI) also no leak info or smartstart & mask fit features and no central apnea detection either.
So only the S9 Elite and S9 AutoSet show full efficacy data and should always avoid any ResMed machine with Escape in the name.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 850 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,111 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,342 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,235 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Here is my data from 3rd night and Friday night slingshot383 16 2,252 05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: slingshot383
Question One night AHI 0, next night leaks and high AHI. MyronH 7 2,202 09-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.