Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

11 year old CPAP
11 year old CPAP
I have been using a Respironics REMstar Plus since January of 2007.  I use ResMed Mirage Swift II head gear with nose pillows.  The airpressure unit works fine but I have found that the Humidifier heating unit has stopped working.  

I like the REMstar Plus because I can pop off the air unit and take it camping in the Summer without the Base unit.  I got the optional battery hookup so I am able to sleep off the grid for up to 9 days with two Marine batteries as a power source.

I don't use the Humidifier in the Summer, there is enough humidity in the air, so I have no idea how long the heater has been broken.

So the problem is how do I go about replacing this unit.  It has been good, it works, I wouldn't mind another one for the next 11 years.  I don't know what is available.  I called my medical insurance company.  For me to get issued a new one I need to take another sleep test and go through the whole rigmarole again.  I really don't care to do that.  What I have works.

BTW is there some way to repair the heating unit.

I need some advice.

For those of you that have just gotten your CPAP, stick with it for the first week or so.  Nose pillows were my salvation.  Never could make friends with the whole face mask, I felt like I was sleeping in a noisy cave.  I no longer fall asleep at stop lights and I dream again.  CPAPs are a real gift.  

BTW, I found that the silicone nose pillows can be washed in the dishwasher with no ill effects.  Lot cheaper than these new CPAP cleaners that I see on TV.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 11 year old CPAP
I don't know anything about repairing the humidifier and question whether it would be worth it or not due to the age of the machine. You should be eligible for a new machine, if you have insurance since the machine is over 5 years old.

The Respironics DreamStation Auto may be a good replacement option. It is small without the humidifier and runs of off 12 volts with the optional 12 volt power cord. It is one of the most popular machines on the forum.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm over 70, stuck with Medicare.  Have to go through the whole thing.  If I stick with the same unit, I hope to be able to slip the card out from the old one and put it in the new one, Voila!
Post Reply Post Reply
I just replaced a 20 year old Puritan & Bennett GoodKnight 318 cpap I've used all those years, with a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset.

Even though I had and used the old machine religiously for 20 years, switching to the new Airsense 10 is like starting over from scratch. It's so quiet, I still can't get used to it. I LIKE the loud "white noise" bone-conducting sound of my old "blower-brick" cpap machine. LOL.

I had to get my wife to switch to the Airfit P10 mask to stop her snoring, since I now don't have the old machines white noise to mask my hearing her. Amazing enough, her FIRST night with the new mask (she has a ResMed S9 Elite cpap) resulted in a 1.28 AHI, and her snoring went  from like a 100 to a 10 on a volume scale... Her second night she went down to a .68 AHI. She's NEVER been below a 3~ AHI in the last 6 years using a Quattro FFM that just never would seal right...

So anyway, the Airsense S10 Autoset is the top of the line newest model.
Post Reply Post Reply
What is your out of pocket? It would be sensible to have a sleep test. A lot can change.
You can buy a philips dremstation auto for under $400 off of amazon. I think that is 12v, The resmed is 24v and needs more messing around with to use on batteries.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
There are Craigslist ads for outdated machines all the time. You should be able to find a Remstar Plus, pro or Auto with humidifier to use along with your own equipment. The advantages and increased comfort of a new unit can't be over-stated. You have no clue what the quality of your treatment is with the old Remstar without any data, and there are lots of advantages of buying new. Check your local Craigslist ads and those of nearby towns. There are brand new Airsense 10 Autosets being sold by a Washington State distributor for $495. That is a lot of quality for the price, and if you want something older and cheaper, those are usually easy to find as well.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2018, 07:54 PM)Many Klatch Wrote: BTW, I found that the silicone nose pillows can be washed in the dishwasher with no ill effects.  Lot cheaper than these new CPAP cleaners that I see on TV.

Hmmmm. 
How long have you been doing this? I would think the high water temperature would eventually cause the pillows to warp and not seal properly. I hope you don't have the dishwasher set for the high-heat drying cycle. That would surely mess the soft silicone up.

My experience has been to wash my masks on a weekly basis with warm soapy water, let them thoroughly dry, and then nightly I use an unscented wipe to remove any oil build up from the night before. I've been doing this for many years, and my doctor tells me it's more than enough to keep the gear clean.

Those CPAP cleaning machines like SoClean seem to be nothing more than expensive gimmicks. From what I've been able to determine, they are a waste of money.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
I had a problem getting replacement parts for my headset because the company that I originally started out with got bought out and they lost my contact information, so I went about 5 years with no support and no new silicone parts.  I have been putting the silicone parts in the dishwasher for at least that long.  I figured that a lot of the new heat pads and spatulas being sold today were silicone so it was worth a try.  It works.
Post Reply Post Reply
My suggestion is to buy a Dreamstation Auto from Amazon. You need an upgraded machine since these machines are only designed for roughly 15,000 hours. Then search for the machine you have now on Craigslist, Offerup or Supplier #2 on the Suppliers list tab up above. Give Supplier #2 a call or email and tell them exactly what you want and that you would be happy to take something that has more hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Many Klatch,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck as you continue CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,599 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,459 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  It's Been Almost a Year With My aPAP, Still Need Help AP0011 2 304 01-20-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Last year, AHI <1. This year, AHI >5. WTF? srwilsn3 14 796 12-17-2023, 11:41 AM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  Medicare cpap 5 year replacement policy Sonno 4 571 09-11-2023, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Sonno
  Help for my 8 year old! Teeleidor 7 724 08-14-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote
  [Diagnosis] Question About OSA Diagnosis Criteria for 14-Year-Olds Dire 2 498 08-09-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.