Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Resmed Mirage FX mask - how should the vents look?
Resmed Mirage FX mask - how should the vents look?
This mask has eleven tabs, each with four tiny (0.3 mm?) holes, moulded in a circular pattern around the hose inlet. Four of the tabs hinge freely outwards - hinged side furthest from the hose inlet. The others don't and I'm not sure whether this is by design or a moulding defect - either a bit of 'flash' holding the tab shut or a missed step in the manufacturing process.
If anyone has one could you let me know -
  1. Should all the tabs open?
  2. Do they all open outwards?
  3. Are they hinged on the edge away from the hose clip?
I notice that the silicone has separated from the ring for about 45 degrees of the circumference so it may be time to buy another. Does four months seem a reasonable life?

Many thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Mirage FX mask - how should the vents look?
None of mine move at all. You may have a defective mask. If any one of the groups of four holes is hinged so that it can open completely, it will affect the operation of the mask.

Yes, four months is a reasonable mask life.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Transistor,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I have never used that particular mask.
As far as how often people change their mask cushion, some change them pretty often and others can make a mask last for quite a while.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used this mask for quite awhile. Your mask is ready to be replaced . Have had that happen a few time, usually after about two to three months of use.

If you have gotten four months of use out of it your probably over due for a replacement .
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have gotten four months of use out of a mirage FX your due to replace it. Like others two to three months is the average time I get out of them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Right, we figured it out and had to make a temporary repair for the weekend.
The Resmed Mirage FX nose mask insert is made of two parts: a hard transparent plastic ring and the translucent silicone mask. The plastic ring has a hole in the centre to accept the hose and eleven barbed tabs sticking out around the outside. During assembly it appears that the silicone piece is stretched over the ring and each of the barbs inserted into the silicone and the silicone snugged around the ring.

The "legs" on the tabs are a weak point and the plastic is brittle so five of them broke. I seem to have repaired it successfully using superglue. Procedure is:
  • Work each of the tabs so that the broken leg is on the inside of the mask and can touch the plastic ring.
  • Wriggle the silicone so that it's a snug fit on the ring. The tabs should now be close to their original position.
  • Apply superglue around the ring from the inside.
  • Press and hold the broken tabs onto the ring and hold in position for a few minutes.

It may help you hold out until you can get a new one.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 10 16,934 5 hours ago
Last Post: DaveL
  Woke up choking, concerned about vents michael7 2 121 04-09-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: michael7
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 409 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 535 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  [CPAP] Still can't keep mask on after switching to ResMed Kevstuf 7 555 01-03-2024, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  How to stop leakages from the F30i Full Face Mask by ResMed Jose Castro 8 1,556 11-18-2023, 04:37 AM
Last Post: UnknownActor
  Mask Change P10/ N30 to F20 Issue (Resmed) mcman56 14 1,009 11-12-2023, 01:21 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.