Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

14 Years on BiPap and Study Says I'm Cured?
14 Years on BiPap and Study Says I'm Cured?
Hello All,

I was diagnosed at Stanford in 2004 with an AHI of 59 and have had another 4  studies done there since, the last one in 2008.  I have put some weight on since then, about 30 pounds, so I am definitely obese and feel I am overdue for another BiPAP titration. I no longer live near Stanford, so I went to a local clinic (they seem to be popping up everywhere) and had an overnight "split study" done.

The split study, so they claim, is for insurance purposes- they make you sleep without any CPAP for half the night (minimum of 2 hours) to see if you have any apnea events. If you do, then they put a mask on you and begin titrating your pressures.

To my utter consternation, I was never awakened by the tech halfway through, because they claim I slept without abnormal apnea events. For two days afterwards, I was so tired I laid around the house the whole time. I was convinced there was some kind of error or perhaps incompetence, given my long history, my symptoms, and my favorable response for 14 years to BiPap therapy.  My pressures are 13.7/10.3, and my AHI as reported by the Respironics M series AutoBiPap is less than 1 event per hour.

When I met with my doctor to review the study, he suggested we do another study at a different clinic, which I underwent last night. I struck up a rapport with the tech, so this morning at 4:45 am he revealed that the first half of the split-study... showed normal! Once again, I "slept" through the night with some bad snoring, but evinced insufficient apneas to trigger a titration. He even detected some REM sleep. I will get the full report in a week or two.

I choke myself awake in easy chairs, gag if I lie down on my back within a minute or two, and continue on BiPap with the same pressures for many years. And a night without my machine leaves me a fogged zombie. If I didn't take dexedrine, I couldn't sit and compose this text.

So... what could possibly be happening? Is is test/measurement error? Does CPAP cure Apnea? Is anyone else out there in the same "boat" as me?  Thanks ....
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 14 Years on BiPap and Study Says I'm Cured?
Run your machine at 6cm or lower and see what your machine shows in the morning. If your cured it should show very few if any events.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2017, 05:14 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Run your machine at 6cm or lower and see what your machine shows in the morning. If your cured it should show very few if any events.

I will try this! I need a couple days to recover, as I am beat after the wonderfully restorative sleep I experienced at the sleep study center last night. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2017, 04:54 PM)Checkerboard Wrote: Hello All,

I was diagnosed at Stanford in 2004 with an AHI of 59 and have had another 4  studies done there since, the last one in 2008.  I have put some weight on since then, about 30 pounds, so I am definitely obese and feel I am overdue for another BiPAP titration. I no longer live near Stanford, so I went to a local clinic (they seem to be popping up everywhere) and had an overnight "split study" done.

The split study, so they claim, is for insurance purposes- they make you sleep without any CPAP for half the night (minimum of 2 hours) to see if you have any apnea events. If you do, then they put a mask on you and begin titrating your pressures.

To my utter consternation, I was never awakened by the tech halfway through, because they claim I slept without abnormal apnea events. For two days afterwards, I was so tired I laid around the house the whole time. I was convinced there was some kind of error or perhaps incompetence, given my long history, my symptoms, and my favorable response for 14 years to BiPap therapy.  My pressures are 13.7/10.3, and my AHI as reported by the Respironics M series AutoBiPap is less than 1 event per hour.

When I met with my doctor to review the study, he suggested we do another study at a different clinic, which I underwent last night. I struck up a rapport with the tech, so this morning at 4:45 am he revealed that the first half of the split-study... showed normal! Once again, I "slept" through the night with some bad snoring, but evinced insufficient apneas to trigger a titration. He even detected some REM sleep. I will get the full report in a week or two.

I choke myself awake in easy chairs, gag if I lie down on my back within a minute or two, and continue on BiPap with the same pressures for many years. And a night without my machine leaves me a fogged zombie. If I didn't take dexedrine, I couldn't sit and compose this text.

So... what could possibly be happening? Is is test/measurement error? Does CPAP cure Apnea? Is anyone else out there in the same "boat" as me?  Thanks ....

Did you get a copy of the sleep study reports? That might help here....
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, that's what I was going to suggest. Run it at straight 6 and read the data. Granted, this is just one night, but so was the sleep study.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
They did have you lying on your back during the studies, didn't they? But you didn't gag at all?
Post Reply Post Reply
I would bet good money the study is wrong. Please share the results with us. Unless your insurance is great, I'd just self-finance a machine. The Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset can replicate the pressure support you are currently using, and costs $440 on Amazon. You are the best judge of whether you need, or sleep better with treatment or not. I would personally never submit to another sleep study. The one I had in 2008 was miserable enough, and has worked to keep me in equipment and supplies since.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2017, 06:15 PM)kiwii Wrote: They did have you lying on your back during the studies, didn't they? But you didn't gag at all?

Yes they did - they asked me to start out on my back. It must have taken me an hour to fall asleep, at least: I was stressing over the small time window available (it was 11pm, and their cutoff time is 2 a.m.) to exhibit two hours of "raw" sleep.

I knew I needed to fall asleep in order to "qualify" for the the  titration commencing at 2 am...  I tossed for quite a while and certainly gagged a bit.

When I got home at 6:15 a.m., I went to bed, using my dental device (protrudes the lower jaw). I was on my back and gagging like crazy...
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2017, 07:07 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I would bet good money the study is wrong.  Please share the results with us. Unless your insurance is great, I'd just self-finance a machine.  The Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset can replicate the pressure support you are currently using, and costs $440 on Amazon.  You are the best judge of whether you need, or sleep better with treatment or not.  I would personally never submit to another sleep study.  The one I had in 2008 was miserable enough, and has worked to keep me in equipment and supplies since.

Hi, I tend to agree - what the heck is happening to apnea studies - this makes two recent studies that show me "cured!"

I am with you on self-finance, having purchased numerous machines from [link removed; Supplier #1] myself. My Respironics autosetting Bipap is my nightly machine, with over five years on it and no problems. Also bought the TAP, TAP2, Robson, and Alvarez jaw positioning devices.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
How exactly are sleep study reports shared on the forum here? I could scan the relevant pages but I would need to obscure (somehow) personal references, etc. I have the one from this past July.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 149 Yesterday, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,364 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
Sad 7 Years of Pap Therapy and Still Utterly Fatigued. Top doctors Unhelpful kalensk 1 111 04-11-2024, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How many years does a mask last? nnddcc 6 298 04-09-2024, 11:43 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Incorrectly on ASV for several years rickresmed 2 123 04-04-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 358 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Do I not need a CPAP anymore? In-Lab Study Results brehski 6 208 04-03-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.