Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

18 Year CPAP Dieing. Is Data Recording Needed?
18 Year CPAP Dieing. Is Data Recording Needed?
Hello, I've been useing a DeVilbiss CPAP since around 1999. It has a ton of hours on it and its starting to make a funky noise. (I think I got my money out of it) Why does everyone insist that you need to have data recording? I'm looking at getting a new one but really dont see any reason to spend the extra money on that feature. If it blows air and is fairly quite, I'm happy. Any info would be great. Thanks and I'm glad I just found this site!

Zac
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 18 Year CPAP Dieing. Is Data Recording Needed?
First off - welcome to Apnea Board!  

There are a few reasons:  Generally speaking, it's extremely difficult to gauge your success with therapy if your machine is not fully data-capable.  It also makes it very hard for us to help you if you are experiencing a problem because you won't be able to share data.      

I won't comment on the quality of your medical team/sleep doctor, but many find that they get sub-optimal care and the only real way to ensure they are getting the treatment they need is to view the data regarding their therapy and make necessary changes themselves.   Without a fully data-capable machine, making these changes becomes trial and error and can be quite difficult to achieve.  

Lastly, most machines that are not fully data-capable are no-frills machines that lack comfort features and basic settings to make therapy more comfortable.   These machines have really come a long way in the last decade (since my first machine), and you may not realize how much these features can improve the quality of your sleep.  

Good luck with your machine choice!
Post Reply Post Reply
It's a miracle that a machine lasted 18 years.

Comparing a machine from 1999 to today's machines is like comparing cellular phone from the same era.
Today's machine are much smarter. That improves therapy, comfort, and permits a method to determine if a machine is still doing the job as we change with time.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Zac3g, the higher-end auto CPAP machines not only provide data, but can respond to changes in sleep position and other factors that can affect your comfort and therapy effectiveness throughout the night. The cost of the machines can be very low. If you are paying out of pocket or have a high co-pay consider looking at Amazon, where I have seen recent offers of $330 for the Philips Dreamstation Auto, or $440 for the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. If you are using insurance and going through a DME, your cost will be no different for a brick vs a fully data capable auto. As long as you understand what you want, cost should not be prohibitive for the best vs worst options.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Zac3g,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
One reason to buy a newer machine is that The technology is much improved.
Good luck to you as you continue CPAP therapy, and also with your machine decision.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
all machines record usage data, but not all machines record efficacy data
imo, machines that only record usage data should be banned by law
cpap machine is not some fancy leaf blower, its a life saving medical equipment ... priceless

probably, sleep study is needed after all those years, things might have changed
Post Reply Post Reply
I will join into the call for a efficacy data recording machine. While you may get by with a non-data machine or a use data machine, not being able to evaluate the efficacy of your machine is like having half of the possible advantages. If given the choice between a full data CPAP and a compliance data APAP I would take the CPAP every time. BTW this is a pretty hypothetical answer because I don't know of any APAP that do not record full data. Standing by waiting for the inevitable corrections.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2017, 07:08 PM)TASmart Wrote: BTW this is a pretty hypothetical answer because I don't know of any APAP that do not record full data. Standing by waiting for the inevitable corrections.

ResMed S9 Escape Auto is not full data capable machine, no central apnea detection or leak data ...
ResMed AirStart 10 Auto is simply a brick and not the same as AirSense 10 AutoSet ... 
Buyer beware
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Zonk
Post Reply Post Reply
I would buy a secondhand low hour S9 resmed full auto with sd card backup (and I did for an auto and a ST) before I bought a new non data machine.
In saying that, it is still able to adjust a constant pressure cpap, if it gives you your AHI reading. The auto just makes it easier and gives a lot more info for us with OCD.
When you go for a sleep study, they use a constant pressure cpap, in most cases, only with a lot more data to back themselves. unless things have drastically changed, the original sleep study would be ok for me and only tweaking would be needed
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 36 2,359 Today, 03:42 AM
Last Post: leono85
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 0 49 Yesterday, 07:09 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 66 Yesterday, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,353 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 76 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Airsense 10 not recording data Guajiro 3 118 03-11-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [CPAP] New to cpap! Just wondering if my data looks ok so far wwjkcd 1 142 03-08-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.