Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

18 mths of apap: need help optimizing settings to feel better [ASV]
RE: 18 mths of apap: need help optimizing settings to feel better
is this what periodic breathing looks like?
Post Reply Post Reply
this can't be normal can it?  the entire night is like this.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check out your 5/26/18 results from 2:11 to 2:28, or 3:10 to 3:30. In fact it goes on all night, every night. This is the central periodic pattern I was telling you about.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, 1 hour 18 min nap at suggested 9/9cm epr3, cervical collar on.  not waiting until full night at this setting to post graphs because duration and number & type of events surprised me.  this nap is longer than most; usually they're closer to 20 minutes & produce 0 - very few events.  have to give it more time to see if I can achieve longer segments overnight but longer duration is one outcome you thought might occur at this 'counterintuitive' setting.  and while the increase in osa you kind of expected didn't happen during this hour, hypopnea seems to have. on the plus side, flow rate looks like it evened out a bit toward the end.  will continue these settings overnight and post tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
What is important to see is if you can tolerate a lower EPAP pressure, in this case only 6-cm. There is a lot of periodic breathing in your nap that an adaptive machine could take out selectively. Hypopnea is okay, OA is something I hope not to see a lot of.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
last night's daily screen. let me know if and what I should zoom in on. 

btw, I have refrained from doing it today but in my struggle to regain my life through sleep I am attempting to learn how to read these waveforms.  in so doing I have often posted graphs with a summary my own interpretation.  sometimes my statements are not accompanied by qualifying words and sometimes I add phrases like "I wonder if" or "it looks to me like".   as a neophyte I expect to be wrong more often than not.  I suspect most understand this and some are not shy about straightening me out (thanks).  I just want to be clear that I'm not pretending to knowledge I don't have and I am pleased to receive both confirming and corrective responses.  it's important to know when I'm wrong and why.   

thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mainly I wanted to see what your tolerance is for lower EPAP pressures. The same patterns as always are present here, and the AHI is frankly no worse or better. There is still a lot of periodic variation in flow rate. I looked at a lot more of those patterns last night, and they are a constant feature of your breathing. You have tried pressures from this low of 9/6 to variable pressures that went to 20 cm, all without much change from the big clusters of CA and OA and the fragmented therapy. I can't think of much else to do with CPAP.

Given your original diagnosis in sleep study of central sleep apnea, and your follow up sleep study showing complex or mixed apnea, I think you should try ASV is the opportunity presents itself. My suggestion is an EPAP of 6 to 12, PS 3 to 12. We can hope that you can change your habit of breaking therapy every hour, or that the therapy works well enough that you won't feel a need to. I tend to think this is going to be a difficult habit to break and the only help we can offer is to make the sleep you get as good as possible by evening out periodic respiration and breaking the cycle that leads to the clusters of OA. I think a good soft cervical collar will continue to be your friend..
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
okay then. will wrangle an asv asap.
Post Reply Post Reply
is it possible that the soft cervical collar that has worked so well to reduce my leaks is also worsening periodic breathing, flow limitations and rera?  looks to my eye that these are more frequent and more pronounced than pre-collar.

these are two naps today.  earlier time settings of 11 / 13.4 epr3.  later time settings of 13.4 / 13.4 epr3.
Post Reply Post Reply
You were just a little difficult to persuade that a collar was the answer.   Rolleyes

The collar does not make your PB worse, it makes it more visible by limiting the leaks which mute the flow rate. What we see in this graph is inspriatory flow-limitation causing a reduced amplitude, followed by periods of recovery or normal breathing. ASV can supplement pressure during flow limitation to normalize those breaths.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=6370]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 490 Yesterday, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 761 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 272 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 376 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,364 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  New APAP machine Robert Detz 0 83 03-13-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Robert Detz
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,108 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.