Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

1st 90 days rental / followed by new if compliant
1st 90 days rental / followed by new if compliant
Just thought I would share that my DME (driven by my ins. company) hands out used CPAP equipment and then exchanges it for new once compliance is documented. I have yet to see anyone post about that on the board so I'm not sure how common it is. Unless my machine hours were reset though, it only appeared to have 7 hours use and it still had the film cover on the display so it wasn't very used I guess, unless it was factory reconditioned. I wasn't happy that the DME didn't tell me any of this until I asked today. Has anyone had an experience like this?

David
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 1st 90 days rental / followed by new if compliant
I have heard of that and honestly I don't see an issue with it. It seems that many people for many reasons just decide that they don't want to use CPAP and are willing to accept the negative health effects caused by not using it. If they did not use these returned machines for the 90 compliance they would soon be buried in very slightly used machines, causing them to go out of business.

The stats I have heard are the even trying their best 30% cannot use the machines for some reason. and another 30% just don't want to and stop. What are they supposed to do with up to 60% of the machines? They clean them and disinfect them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2015, 01:14 PM)Dagmar Wrote: Just thought I would share that my DME (driven by my ins. company) hands out used CPAP equipment and then exchanges it for new once compliance is documented. I have yet to see anyone post about that on the board so I'm not sure how common it is. Unless my machine hours were reset though, it only appeared to have 7 hours use and it still had the film cover on the display so it wasn't very used I guess, unless it was factory reconditioned. I wasn't happy that the DME didn't tell me any of this until I asked today. Has anyone had an experience like this?

David

If the DME didn't tell you about it, how did you find out about the 7 hours on the machine? How long have you had the machine? How many hours are on it now? Have you checked the run hours?

I wouldn't be concerned about this unless they try to stick you with it after the compliance period. I met my compliance in the first 30 days so I didn't have to worry about reporting in after 90 days, at least not with the DME.

So, if you have been using the machine for 30 days and have used it the majority of the time for 4 hours (I think it is 70% of the time but don't quote me on it) then you should be ready for a machine of your own that has NOT been used before.

You ever buy a brand new car? In my state, you can't get a car with 0 miles on it. They have to test it and the last new car we bought had 25 miles on it. You can't reset the run hours on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
My dad has Kaiser, and that is how they did it. He had an older PR 550 Auto with LOANER on a label in big letters. After he was compliant for long enough they gave him a brand new PR560 Auto.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think it's a bad idea, I just would have appreciated that they had told me it was a used machine. And, let me know that they had a program for changing it for new after compliance was checked.

David
Post Reply Post Reply
DMEs seem to hire a lot of people who really don't know the system well. Their own, nor the Insurance companies they need to bill. There are some good and knowledgeable folk sprinkled in among them, but they are spread too thin. In this medical field as in most others, it pays to be a knowledgeable consumer and your own advocate - and on top of that, a squeaky wheel!
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2015, 11:20 PM)DariaVader Wrote: DMEs seem to hire a lot of people who really don't know the system well. Their own, nor the Insurance companies they need to bill. There are some good and knowledgeable folk sprinkled in among them, but they are spread too thin. In this medical field as in most others, it pays to be a knowledgeable consumer and your own advocate - and on top of that, a squeaky wheel!

I agree and I used to be an RT. I've seen some very dirty equipment come back from patients homes so if I had known that my machine was used I would have been given the chance to ask about how they had reprocessed it. That would have given me more peace of mind. But, I didn't find out until a few things clued me into the fact that it might be used, so I asked them. About five years ago I took care of a very nice, professional man, that had not cleaned his CPAP machine properly and developed a horrible, life changing pneumonia that left his lungs scared and his ability to enjoy life much diminished. When I say not cleaned his machine properly there is actually more to it than that, I don't think he had ever cleaned his humidifier.

David
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] New User; Fine Tuning- First 3 Days of Data jgthegrouch 9 422 01-16-2024, 02:25 PM
Last Post: jgthegrouch
  Abdominal pain from open mouth. 4 days Neo2020 1 341 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Low AHI, compliant but still sleepy jamwin 2 342 11-30-2023, 02:56 PM
Last Post: jamwin
  [CPAP] Bad O2 days with APAP? ikwtif 23 1,729 11-21-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: BeautifulDay
  [Treatment] Three days using Soft Cervical Collar, AHI 6.73, 4.81, 22.28; makes sense? Aldiorg 9 905 11-15-2023, 12:47 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Airsense 11 doesn't write SD data on some days only chipschap 7 674 10-07-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: chipschap
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 9 1,095 05-18-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: manders513

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.