Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

1st "Check Up" with the Sleep Tech
Wink 
1st "Check Up" with the Sleep Tech
Saw the Sleep Tech at the Sleep Center yesterday for a 3 week check up. He was the same nice guy who finally got me a copy of my prescription so that I could get my sleep machine. And the one who told me that I didn't need an APAP because my pressure setting was so low.

He was impressed that I got an APAP machine. It's a really good machine, you know.... Rolleyes Then he told me how he wished everyone could use this machine. My comment to that was that everyone should be using it. We then discussed whether it was insurance companies or DME's that didn't want to be issuing them. I'm afraid I intimidated him a little. I didn't mean to. Wink

He then put my data card into his computer & pulled up my usage and efficiency data. I think he was surprised to see 100% compliance, but I've been waiting a long time to get this started. I decided on 100% compliance long before I actually got a machine. Even if I'm sitting up and reading, the machine will be on during the hours I'm supposed to be sleeping. He liked all AHI numbers... average of .61. Then got that surprised look again as I pulled up SleepyHead on my computer to look at the data with him. We then had a discussion about what I was looking at and where I got it. He actually sounded both intrigued by the program as well as surprised that I was looking at my data. His final comment about it was that he needed to get it for himself.

Since my numbers were so good, and I didn't seem to be having any problems with using the CPAP, he wanted to know if there was anything he could do for me. Just the opening I had been waiting for, since I'm not happy that my snoring still seems to be occurring nightly, some nights a lot. I'd come with 2 ideas about what I would do, if I had free reign with setting my machine. My young tech friend impressed me by offering to set the pressure of my machine up to 7 (my first thought). When I asked why that & not setting up a pressure range with the APAP, he stated that APAP does not help with snoring, it doesn't detect it. But, if I really wanted to try it, he would ask the Doctor about it. Apparently he is allowed to change pressures, but not the CPAP/APAP setting. The doctor had a full afternoon of clients on her schedule at another center so that didn't happen, although he told me I could talk to her about it at my next visit after I reached 1 month of compliancy. Since he was actually doing what I wanted to try first, I didn't push for anything different.

Then he went to change the pressure in his ResScan software... but couldn't. He was clearly perplexed by the software not accepting his changes to it. I asked if he had unlocked the card before putting it in. Clearly, he couldn't think of any reason why it should be locked, so I told him that every time I removed it from the AutoSet I locked it so I didn't do anything to the card while I was putting the data into SleepyHead. Once he unlocked it, everything worked like he thought it should. Apparently, most clients don't lock the cards when they bring them to the center.

Once that was set up, he asked again if I had any questions for him. "No, my questions have been answered on the forums I read," I answered. Again, I got a startled look from him and he wanted to know where I was going for my information. Apnea Board and (that other seller sponsored board) I replied. His face cleared as I named the second board. Apparently one of the other techs spends time on it and thinks highly of it. "Yes," I reply, "both have a lot of really good information about sleep apnea and XPAP's. I've learned a lot."

I like the increased pressure last night. My AHI was down to 0.28 but I still had a lot of snoring... not as much as the last few nights still about 3 hours worth of it. But only 2 hyponea events. I'm interested in seeing what happens over the next 2 weeks at the new pressure.

Wish me luck, in 2 weeks I have to go back the DMEOh-jeez

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 1st "Check Up" with the Sleep Tech
Hi SleepyDreamCatcher,
Good job, keep up the good work and I hope your next apointment with the DME goes well.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2014, 10:23 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi SleepyDreamCatcher,
Good job, keep up the good work and I hope your next apointment with the DME goes well.

Actually I have more faith in the sleep tech I saw yesterday than in the DME. But they are the ones who will be sending the compliance data to the insurance company, so I will keep the appointment and turn in my card when ordered to. I don't expect much help with settings or understanding my machine or what to do next from them. But, since my insurance won't buy any of the supplies that are needed for the next 9 months, I need to find out from them what the costs of pillow replacements and filters are. And what it would cost me to try a second mask so I can compare their prices to those on the supplier lists.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck, SleepyDreamCatcher, now try and relax and see how things go until the next appointment. You really shouldn't be snorng too loudly when using CPAP but if your AHI is that low and you feel ok I don't see a problem. If your asleep how do you know your snoring for 3 hours? What was the leak data like? The 95% should be below 24L
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2014, 01:28 AM)Tez62 Wrote: Good luck, SleepyDreamCatcher, now try and relax and see how things go until the next appointment. You really shouldn't be snorng too loudly when using CPAP but if your AHI is that low and you feel ok I don't see a problem. If your asleep how do you know your snoring for 3 hours? What was the leak data like? The 95% should be below 24L

Leaks are seldom or small unless I end up removing the mask while trying to reposition it or swipe the sweat off my lip. 95% leak rate is 0.0. Max is above 24 only if I remove the mask to get up for a bathroom break. To find out about snoring I watch the snore line on SleepyHead and estimate the time by looking at the time stamps before the graph. Last night the snoring decreased by roughly a half hour and was quieter than the last few nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck! -- but you don't need it because you have your determination to be 100% compliant, the knowledge you have gained on the forum(s), and the tools to monitor & control your own treatment.

I don't KNOW how to fix snoring, but were it me I would just set my pressure up higher (I like a higher pressure anyway) and try it.

IF the AHI went up or I couldn't control the leaks then it would go back down, otherwise a few nights to check if it helped the snoring.

I snored terribly before CPAP -- I don't snore at all now (according to my wife).

8-12 or 10-12.

Currently I am set at something like that also.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2014, 09:56 PM)SleepyDreamCatcher Wrote: Saw the Sleep Tech at the Sleep Center yesterday for a 3 week check up.
... My young tech friend impressed me by offering to set the pressure of my machine up to 7 (my first thought). When I asked why that & not setting up a pressure range with the APAP, he stated that APAP does not help with snoring, it doesn't detect it. But, if I really wanted to try it, he would ask the Doctor about it. Apparently he is allowed to change pressures, but not the CPAP/APAP setting.

The sleep tech is mistaken about your machine (S9 AutoSet) not being able to detect Snore. It both detects Snore and takes Snore into account when adjusting the pressure.

Take care,
Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Leaks are seldom or small unless I end up removing the mask while trying to reposition it or swipe the sweat off my lip. 95% leak rate is 0.0. Max is above 24 only if I remove the mask to get up for a bathroom break. To find out about snoring I watch the snore line on SleepyHead and estimate the time by looking at the time stamps before the graph. Last night the snoring decreased by roughly a half hour and was quieter than the last few nights.
[/quote]

SleepyDreamCatcher, I just check my data, I review it once a week on a Sunday and I have low snore figures pretty much all night. I wouldn't worry if it it is not waking you up or a partner and from what you are saying it is getting less anyway. You seem to be doing well so just keep at it, do you feel better during the day compared to before you had been diagnosed?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2014, 05:39 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(05-30-2014, 09:56 PM)SleepyDreamCatcher Wrote: Saw the Sleep Tech at the Sleep Center yesterday for a 3 week check up.
... My young tech friend impressed me by offering to set the pressure of my machine up to 7 (my first thought). When I asked why that & not setting up a pressure range with the APAP, he stated that APAP does not help with snoring, it doesn't detect it. But, if I really wanted to try it, he would ask the Doctor about it. Apparently he is allowed to change pressures, but not the CPAP/APAP setting.

The sleep tech is mistaken about your machine (S9 AutoSet) not being able to detect Snore. It both detects Snore and takes Snore into account when adjusting the pressure.

Take care,
Vaughn

Vaughn,

Thanks. Thanks I thought it was supposed to take snores into account, but then I started wondering if I had just dreamed that or read it about it in reference to a machine other than mine.

I'll keep that in mind when I next see the sleep doc.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 102 4 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  Resmed Tech Support Jeremy H 11 1,338 03-20-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 90 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  How can I check if my ClimateAir actually heats up? NoddingHacker 1 174 02-06-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,412 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.