Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

1st night on PAP - need some advice
1st night on PAP - need some advice
1st night on my new resmed s9 vpap auto. It is setup in straight bi level mode(for now) 12/8.

1st night was a little rough (not too bad). My AHI was something like 35 in the lab to the machine reporting something like 2 AHI last night. Feel pretty groggy this morning so I don't know if this translates into better sleep :-)

I'm using a swift fx nasal pillow mask. Problem I had several times in the night is I keep opening my mouth and thus waking me up.

Any suggestions on dealing with this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 1st night on PAP - need some advice
Hi cincysinner and welcome to Apnea Board.

Congratulations on a successful night. It will take a little while but that groggy feeling will go away and you'll start seeing lots of improvements in your health and well being.

Try a chin strap. Your equipment provider will have them.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks... I will give that a shot.

This grogginess is murder though... I have learned that I am not the only one that experiences this.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not by any means. Although some lucky devils adapt well to CPAP therapy.

I wasn't one of them.

It took me several weeks to reach a crossover point where I was doing better with the machine than I was without it. During that time I did notice improvement in that I felt better on some days. But I had other days when I felt worse.

It was, and has been, a long slow road to improvement, but I knew I had to persist because I was fighting for my life. I've been at it 16 months, I'm still noticing improvements, and I'm doing so much better than I was before CPAP therapy. I feel like I have a new lease on life.

I won't bore you with stories about all my symptoms, but I will tell you that for three miserable decades I suffered from chronic headaches. I of course went to many doctors and tried many things to get rid of them. I did get some relief from some medications but they came with unwanted side effects. Now I believe I have finally found the cure: Sleep!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cincysinner,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It gets better, just stick with it.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cincysinner!
Welcome to the forum!
Hang in there, you'll need some time to adapt to all this.

Sleep-well
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
It is very common to get sleepier after starting treatment. You and your body are not used to this concept called "uninterrupted sleep" and assumes that is the normal. Now you have the CPAP and are getting sleep and both of you are confused, in a way.

Keep it up. Keep using it. Sit up during the day with it on to acclimatize to the sensation of the mask and the air. But also be aware that one night is nothing. It's a start and you've had a good one. It generally takes about ten days or more to get enough data to form any opinions. And from my own experience, it takes longer than that for any change to be settled. Medication, stress, what you ate or drank, the atmosphere of the bedroom, etc etc etc.

Try a chin strap. There's several commercially available so if you don't like one, try another. And don't "settle" for the first mask you try. There's a ton of them out there.

Google "sleep debt" and "sleep hygiene".
Check out our wiki. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...=Wiki_Home
Acronyms/Abbreviations: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2013, 06:56 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: It is very common to get sleepier after starting treatment. You and your body are not used to this concept called "uninterrupted sleep" and assumes that is the normal. Now you have the CPAP and are getting sleep and both of you are confused, in a way.

And the machine itself can interfere with your sleep until you get used to it.

Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2013, 09:59 AM)cincysinner Wrote: ....I'm using a swift fx nasal pillow mask. Problem I had several times in the night is I keep opening my mouth and thus waking me up.

Any suggestions on dealing with this?

I've been using a nasal pillow mask and I do the same thing, open my mouth and wake up. I went from size small to medium size pillow (restronics optilife mask). I think we just have to get used to it. Changing the nasal pillow seemed to help me.., I wondered if the small size pillow was getting pinched (no air or getting moved out of nose in my sleep) and changing to the next size up seemed to help.

Might wanna try that. I am using a full face mask now , so I'll have something to compare the nasal pillow mask with. Best wishes!! Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I might try that... I've made a temporary chin strap out of an ace bandage that seems to be doing the trick.

Trying to get a real chin strap from my DME who told me I need a prescription for it (???). Called the DR and they said I don't and they called the DME to set them straight that my prescription covers all xPAP related supplies...so waiting to hear back from them...... all a microcosm of the massive problems we have in our healthcare system :-)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 176 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,542 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 328 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 18 465 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 291 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 1,029 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 188 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.