Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

1st night with new ResMed S10 Auto (defective machine?)
1st night with new ResMed S10 Auto (defective machine?)
Hi Everyone,

My first night with my brand new machine didn't go well, I didn't feel like I was getting enough pressure. I checked SleepyHead this morning and found my graphs showed quite a different graph from my previous rental machine. With my rental, the graph stayed right at 10 cmh20 without fluctuating like this one. My new machine is set at 10 cmh20. I double checked the settings. Your thoughts appreciated. I also checked my leak rate which seemed fine to me, both pressure and leak rate graphs are attached.

Thanks, Dagmar

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 1st night with new ResMed S10 Auto (defective machine?)
(11-12-2015, 09:57 AM)Dagmar Wrote: Hi Everyone,

My first night with my brand new machine didn't go well, I didn't feel like I was getting enough pressure. I checked SleepyHead this morning and found my graphs showed quite a different graph from my previous rental machine. With my rental, the graph stayed right at 10 cmh20 without fluctuating like this one. My new machine is set at 10 cmh20. I double checked the settings. Your thoughts appreciated. I also checked my leak rate which seemed fine to me, both pressure and leak rate graphs are attached.

Thanks, Dagmar

I have the same machine, and yes, the pressure graph should be fairly smooth. Granted, I use ResScan to look at my data, not SleepyHead, so I'm not sure if the settings are different. I was prescribed a range of pressure, 7-12, so the machine auto adjusts all night depending on my needs; however, even the adjustments are fairly smooth and gentle, not noisy like your graph depicts. If you don't feel like you're getting enough air, you might have the Ramp turned on. If you turn it off, you'll go to your prescribed pressure almost instantly upon turning the machine on.

I suggest contacting your supplier, as it looks like there is an issue either with data recording or the machine itself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2015, 10:11 AM)Possum Wrote:
(11-12-2015, 09:57 AM)Dagmar Wrote: Hi Everyone,

Thanks, Dagmar

I have the same machine, and yes, the pressure graph should be fairly smooth. Granted, I use ResScan to look at my data, not SleepyHead, so I'm not sure if the settings are different. I was prescribed a range of pressure, 7-12, so the machine auto adjusts all night depending on my needs; however, even the adjustments are fairly smooth and gentle, not noisy like your graph depicts. If you don't feel like you're getting enough air, you might have the Ramp turned on. If you turn it off, you'll go to your prescribed pressure almost instantly upon turning the machine on.

I suggest contacting your supplier, as it looks like there is an issue either with data recording or the machine itself.

Thanks for the reply, I do have my ramp set at 6 but it is only a five minute ramp. I have attached a typical graph from my previous machine where all settings were the same as the new one, straight 10 cmH20, five minute ramp starting at 6. I will do a walk-in at the DME today. But, I don't want them telling me everything looks normal with the machine when I know it didn't feel at all right to me.

Dagmar

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have the EPR on? It looks like the pressure is responding to a max EPR setting as you breath.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Two reasons for the graph looking different. One is the scale of the graphs ore different. The other is that it looks like you had EPR set at 1 on the old machine and it is set at 3 on the new one.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2015, 11:27 AM)PaytonA Wrote: Two reasons for the graph looking different. One is the scale of the graphs ore different. The other is that it looks like you had EPR set at 1 on the old machine and it is set at 3 on the new one.

I'm 99% sure EPR was set at 3 on the old machine as well. I never changed the EPR setting myself so I can't be 100% sure but that's what I remember seeing on the old machine. The new machine does have an EPR setting of 3. I think what I am really trying to figure out is how does (if it does) the pressure graph correlate to how my pressure felt during the night. I wouldn't have checked the graph this morning if something hadn't felt wrong in the night. By wrong meaning that the machine didn't seem to provide the usual amount of pressure. It was enough of a difference that I found it both refreshing and concerning. It was nice feeling I had a lower pressure but concerning that it wasn't my normal therapy. I guess I will find out more when I take the machine in for evaluation. I appreciate the comments.

Post Reply Post Reply
Frankly, I have looked closely at the mask pressure graph from the old machine and it is quite certain that you were getting 1 cm/H2O of expiratory pressure relief regardless of the setting. With the new one it is quite obvious from the graph that you are getting 3cm/H2O expiratory pressure relief.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks PaytonA, the DME found no problem with the machine and did not catch the difference in pressure relief settings. Your analysis was really helpful to me. Now, I know why the new machine was so different. Thanks for the help! I had never touched or played with that setting so didn't know how the differences would feel.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tested my EPR settings a little last night and found quite a large difference between Off, 1, 2, and 3. For now, I'm keeping my machine on an EPR setting of 1. A setting of one seems to provide me with the most comfortable breathing on the CPAP machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Absolutely use what works best for you.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,355 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,332 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  [Equipment] Are the ResMed Aircurve 10 S and ResMed Aircurve 10 VAuto the "exact same machine"? kkjacks 3 271 02-20-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 673 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Resmed airsense 10 auto set card to cloud chronic 4 392 02-02-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  My resmed s9 escape auto does not save date and time. jocemar 2 280 12-30-2023, 11:03 PM
Last Post: jocemar

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.