Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

2 OSs, one computer and two drives ?
Having WIN7 one one drive...

Can I put a second OS like WIN8.1 or 10 when it is released on a second drive; then setup selective boot on Drive 0?

How does one setup selective boot after the fact?

I'm thinking that if I do, then I'll put my libraries on a 3rd drive that either OS can access.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, you do it in the BIOS. You set it up to ask you which drive to boot from each time.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
It depends on the computer and operating system, but in general, you can hit F12 (or some other key depending on the BIOS) at boot time and it will give you a "boot menu" where you can select which drive to boot from. You can put one OS on one drive and another OS on the other drive. The machine may or may not remember your choice next time. You can also change the default choice permanently it in the BIOS.

Some operating systems might do some strange things if they're not the "first" disk in some sense, but I think most modern OS's can handle it.

Some BIOS's or operating systems may have a problem with booting from USB disks or ATA "slave" disks.
Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

I have one machine with an SSD that boots so fast that ASUS put a pair of terminals that I connected the reset switch to them. I have no need for a reset -- but this function is a boot directly into BIOS. Saves pounding on a key trying to catch a fast boot system.

The machine I'm sitting at is slower with two spinners. In fact the windows performance evaluation gets its lowest score from disk performance.

It's: Processor: 7.7
Memory: 7.8
Grapics: 7.7
Gaming Graphics 7.7
Primary HDD: 5.9
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're installing a new disk that has enough space, you can simply make two (or three or four) partitions on that one hard drive. I once had one large hard drive with four OS's on it... long time ago, but I think I had Win98se, Win2k Pro, Win2k Server and some version of Linux all on one drive, but with four separate partitions, formatted with Fat32, NTFS and ext's for Linux.

The Linux OS was last to be installed, since I used Grub to boot into the various operating systems. There was an OS on the disk previously and I think I used fdisk to remove it, and also made sure to "fdisk /mbr" to wipe the Master Boot Record. If you do it this way, you can set up Grub to ask on startup which OS to boot into, and set it up so that after a few seconds of inaction, it will automatically boot into any OS you've set up as the default OS.

It's a little more obtuse as far as initial setup, but once set up properly, this method has the advantage of not having to always bring up the BIOS setup to change default HDD for booting up, plus it's generally cheaper since you can use one hard drive for multiple operating systems.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
It might be better to use separate drives, rather than separate partitions for different OSs in a single computer. It's easier to dump an OS if you change your mind.
Post Reply Post Reply

It would be best to use three computers. One for each foot.
Post Reply Post Reply
I ended up using the second SSD as a library for the Windows 7.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many moons ago you could get a computer on a card. It would coexist with the main board and you could run 2 OS's simultaneously. Now with virtualization and modern computing power the idea is not needed.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply

(05-24-2015, 08:45 PM)2PAPs Wrote: It might be better to use separate drives, rather than separate partitions for different OSs in a single computer. It's easier to dump an OS if you change your mind.

When one can buy a 3TB fixed disk for $90 why not? With swappable front panel bays you are not limited for space.
I remember thinking what would I ever do with the upgraded TEN MEGS storage in my Compaq luggable and Framework files only a couple K each. DOS 3 was such a joy LOL
Alas I pitched it when I went sailing.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Win 7 indexing usb drives justMongo 5 279 02-04-2017, 08:22 PM
Last Post: justMongo
Gross Sudden computer shutdown DeepBreathing 26 1,470 11-28-2016, 12:50 PM
  Computer Monitor Linearity surferdude2 6 562 10-31-2016, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Perchas
  Need computer help......... GrammaBear 33 2,486 01-14-2016, 03:54 PM
  Ghost Computer Drives PaytonA 3 724 07-12-2015, 09:35 PM