Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

2 full years of CPAP usage - zero improvement
RE: 2 full years of CPAP usage - zero improvement
(08-23-2014, 06:02 AM)Route67 Wrote: I am nowhere. Still waking 3 or 4 times a night to void. Still feeling like complete garbage during the day, including today; woke up at 6am after 3 voids and going to bed at midnight. I would absolutely love to get a solid 8 or 9 hours; I have had a handful in 2 years but that's it.

Post your graphs. I'm sure someone will have a really good idea what's going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
maybe you have a small bladder; maybe an overactive bladder that can be dealt with in various ways.

also, maybe your pressure settings are too low and need to be adjusted

you have some good suggestions from others to think about.

hope you can find the cause of this soon.

oh, I still wake up a lot during the night although it isn't to pee. I long for an 8 hour sleep session but I am grateful that I have a better chance of not dying in my sleep from OSA. Someday, hopefully, I can sleep more than 5 or 6 hours a night uninterrupted.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello - just some random thoughts? Please note, I have been on CPAP better than a dozen years now, now look at my join date. That is when I decided to actually start *leaning* about OSA, my dream machine, and what all those numbers actually mean.

I am a 100% compliant *winner* in that OSA created heart issues for me that over time have finally been cured, my life changed basically overnight, and became dramatically better. However, in the last few years, my sleep habits started to downslide.

I learned, mostly from this forum, and other reading, and by buying a recording Oximeter, and studying my CPAP data daily for about four months that I had over time developed 'hissing' through my lips that then created leaks too large for my machine to keep up with. So, between switching to a full face mask, and working on changing my settings, my numbers are now really good~!

However, after finally getting a new dream machine, I am finding that almost all of my events are 'centrals' - which needs to be worked on but that's another story.

My point is, taking control yourself, and learning about your machine, and what all the various numbers and stuff means may bring you a long way towards improving your sleep life. Most DMEs, and many sleep docs (sadly) only look at compliance data and assume that you are doing well/better and that as long as you use the CPAP life will be great. But it is more involved than that. Time to put your thinking cap on and start learning I believe.

Does this make sense to you?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi way 67
Think about driving your car.
Now think about driving your car with no speedometer, tachometer, gas gauge, temp gauge, oil pressure gauge or odometer. Just get in and go and hope for the best.
That is what you have been doing with CPAP.
As has been suggested, you need to download Sleepyhead software and learn how to use it, with help from the folks here. Until you take charge and know how well your therapy is working, nothing will improve. Even if you happen to find an excellent sleep doc who knows how to monitor your therapy. They won't be there every day to see how things are going and make small adjustments.

Do you ask your auto mechanic when to step on the gas or brake or turn the wheel?

You have some reading to do and some work to get on track. Let's get started now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the advice, everyone! I was just out for most of the day and came back to a full thread and it's much appreciated.

I will digest all this and reply a bit more fully later, but please realize I am not exactly tech savvy.......downloading I can do, what to do with the downloaded material after that I would still be unsure about.

BTW I just turned 52 and don't believe I am diabetic, somewhere along the way with all the blood and urine work I have had done by urologists and the nephrologist and my GP someone surely would've picked up on that......
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Route67, from the sound of it, I think they threw a machine at you set it on Auto and
told you that you're cured.
When is anything ever that simple?

You're going to have to do what the rest of us here have had to do. Get the Sleepyhead software going and start analyzing your data every night so you can fine tune your machine.
If you have leaks with the nose mask, no amount of fancy machinery will help.
Everyone here has been where you are, 67 and you can get the apnea bit taken care of THEN you'll be able to tell if there are other problems that need addressing.
(Divide and conquer!)
The folks here will help you get going if you will spend the time to work with them.

Cheers!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
You *could* also, or instead of, get the Rescan software made by and for Remed units. Some folks prefer one over the other. The point is, you have more than one choice for software to use.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Route67 might also want to get himself (or herself) checked out for RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) which can cause symptoms very similar to OSA.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2014, 11:25 AM)retired_guy Wrote: .

Ok... What is needed to know, is what is your current AHI? Of the events recorded, how many (%) are OA, CA, Hypops... What is your minimum/maximum and average pressures? What are your leak numbers?

All this, and even more, can be yours once you download and run the software.

Downloaded and doing this now, Thanks!

By the way I am 52 year old MALE from New Hampshire......overweight by about 75 pounds on my 6'1'' frame.

(08-23-2014, 11:35 AM)PaytonA Wrote: Route 67,

My first impression of what you explained and without seeing any data (so its a WAG) was that your leaks are high enough to make your therapy a non-starter. It would take data to know this. Could you provide us with some?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Yes Payton, I am doing that now, and honestly working with you guys [and gals] is probably the best thing I can do.....tired of my sleep center saying "you're fine" and passing me on to urologists.

I may need some help with the readings however, please stand by Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2014, 04:17 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Hi Route67, from the sound of it, I think they threw a machine at you set it on Auto and
told you that you're cured.
When is anything ever that simple?

You're going to have to do what the rest of us here have had to do. Get the Sleepyhead software going and start analyzing your data every night so you can fine tune your machine.

The folks here will help you get going if you will spend the time to work with them.

Cheers!

Great, doing that now and I have PLENTY of time to work with the friendly people here.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Improvement after adjustments - still can't stay asleep DKane 0 76 04-12-2024, 09:55 AM
Last Post: DKane
Sad 7 Years of Pap Therapy and Still Utterly Fatigued. Top doctors Unhelpful kalensk 1 116 04-11-2024, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How many years does a mask last? nnddcc 6 301 04-09-2024, 11:43 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Incorrectly on ASV for several years rickresmed 2 126 04-04-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 325 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Judging CPAP improvement jprconsulting 1 125 03-24-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 178 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.