Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

2 full years of CPAP usage - zero improvement
RE: 2 full years of CPAP usage - zero improvement
(08-24-2014, 09:25 AM)Route67 Wrote: Set it there last night and slept pretty well, woke up twice.......which is better than 4 or 5 times, of course. Will leave it there and see what happens, Thanks again!

Glad to hear it Route. Yes, just watch things for a few days. Then re-evalute.

One thing to look at: Start up Sleepyhead. Then at the top row, click "File," "Preferences," "Graphs." In the selection box click the check box next to "Flow Limit."

Now compare yesterday's flow limit to last nights. Do they seem much different?
Post Reply Post Reply
just want to add my encouragement .... I'm still figuring out this "odyssey" as well .... good luck! It's encouraging that you had fewer awakenings last night! Lots of great help here -- it is a terrific forum.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2014, 10:48 AM)retired_guy Wrote:
(08-24-2014, 09:25 AM)Route67 Wrote: Set it there last night and slept pretty well, woke up twice.......which is better than 4 or 5 times, of course. Will leave it there and see what happens, Thanks again!

Glad to hear it Route. Yes, just watch things for a few days. Then re-evalute.

One thing to look at: Start up Sleepyhead. Then at the top row, click "File," "Preferences," "Graphs." In the selection box click the check box next to "Flow Limit."

Will do RG.....hosting a small party at the moment but will check it later.

And yes Clementine and Surferdude, I agree the help here is fantastic! I learned more last night than I have in 2+ years of going to Docs. A lot cheaper and friendlier here, also Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2014, 08:54 PM)Route67 Wrote: Leaks, etc......

http://i.imgur.com/GplnmJK.jpg

Your leaks are high enough most of the time in the past that they could be adversely effecting your therapy and giving unreliable data. My guess is that you are mouth breathing or mouth leaking during the night. With too much leakage the machine has trouble discriminating events and precursors.

It looks like you do have some nights where your leakage rate might be reasonable so apparently you are able to seal your mouth off effectively, in your sleep some of the time. I would suggest that a trial with a chin strap might be in order.

Unless you get the leaks consistently under control, you may continue to have some problems at times. I would definitely keep my eye on the leaks. For a ResMed machine the manufacturer feels they should be less than 24 l/min in order for the machine to provide effective therapy.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you're reading the chart wrong Payton, or I am. I believe it says his 95% leak rate is .96, not 96. That's subtly different.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2014, 06:11 PM)retired_guy Wrote: I think you're reading the chart wrong Payton, or I am. I believe it says his 95% leak rate is .96, not 96. That's subtly different.

Look at the leakage chart that he put up.

http://i.imgur.com/GplnmJK.jpg

There seems to be some discrepancy in some of the numbers that Sleepyhead reports and it seems to be a decimal place error. There are a few others too.

Anyhow it looks to me like he has a lot of days where his leakage is up around 200 l/min. Last time I looked that was high.

He uses a nasal mask. What would make his therapy ineffective although he is using the equipment regularly and his AHI is low? Answer-leaks. High leakage does not cause AHI to go up. It makes it difficult for the machine to sense apnea events so the AHI goes down.

Anyhow it looks to me like his problem is mouth breathing or mouth leakage.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2014, 06:02 AM)Route67 Wrote: I keep my daily intake of soda and even water down to a very low level, perhaps dangerously low, because I so dread those multiple trips to the toilet during the overnight hours. Nothing helps.

(08-24-2014, 07:09 PM)PaytonA Wrote: There seems to be some discrepancy in some of the numbers that Sleepyhead reports and it seems to be a decimal place error. There are a few others too.

Hi Route67,

I, too, find a few hard-to-understand numbers in your SleepyHead data.

I recommend you download and install the ResScan program for ResMed machines, since you have one. That way we would be able to double-check the accuracy of the SH reports. SH software is still beta software at this point.

By the way, the acids which are put in soda drinks to allow carbonization and the sugar (or worse, the High Fructose Corn Syrup) in Soda is bad for us, and sodas really should not count toward the 8 cups of water we need to drink each day. At least 8 cups, I think. Especially good to drink in the morning when we first awake, long enough (15 minutes?) before eating that our stomach is empty again before eating. And before all meals, early enough that the stomach is empty before eating.

If we do not drink enough water I think our blood chemistry and pH levels can get seriously out of balance, causing great stress on the body.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I may have to try a chin strap to keep my mouth closed?

I am sure there is a joke in there somewhere which my ex-wife would have loved.

Doing the flow chart reading now........
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2014, 10:48 AM)retired_guy Wrote: One thing to look at: Start up Sleepyhead. Then at the top row, click "File," "Preferences," "Graphs." In the selection box click the check box next to "Flow Limit."

Problem here, these are all zeroes.....because when I put my SD card back into the machine last night I failed to unlock it. Will unlock it now and check again tomorrow, cheers.....
Post Reply Post Reply
This Summary:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...0#pid80940

and

these from his first night with us

http://imgur.com/ow8WGRf

seem to me to be more indicative of his leak experience than the full year chart we were looking at...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Judging CPAP improvement jprconsulting 1 79 03-24-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 176 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 290 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,582 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,013 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.