Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed ASV vs Respironics ASV
RE: Resmed ASV vs Respironics ASV
Ask the doc "what settings are you scripting that the ResMed does not have?"

ResMed ASV has EPAP, PS and Auto filled IPAP based on EPAP and PS. Humidity and heated hose also. Ramp but I'd not use it.

So what else doctor quack?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
We have consistently seen better therapy on the Resmed ASV. The setting the doctor included is a backup rate for breaths per minute (BPM) which can be done on the Philips. The Resmed uses the last 90 seconds of spontaneous breathing rate to set its rate and minute vent targets. It is all done automatically, and the only setting on an Aircurve 10 ASV is the Mode, EPAP min, EPAP max, PS min and PS max. It still works better and is more comfortable and generally better efficacy. Keep asking for the Resmed and talk to the doctor. Get a copy of the Rx and let us know what it is. We can help you argue.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep the ResMed ASV does the backup rate automatically. Yeah but Dr. McQuack can't "set" it so the Respironics that's a lesser therapy machine makes imperfect sense.

If it was like my first Apria RT on setting up my ASV, well I dunno how to set it so I'll guess.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2019, 09:53 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: I think the majority of people find the Resmed is both more efficacious and more comfortable. The Philips has a number of manual settings which the Resmed takes care of automatically, so if you do end up with the Philips ensure that you work with your tech to optimise all the settings, not just pressure.

Some users have found the Resmed doesn't give good results but the Philips does, so in the end it's all down to the way the machine works for you. But in your shoes I'd start with the Resmed which seems to have a higher probability of success.

My first BiPAP was a Respironics Dreamstation, and it worked great, and still does. A year later I suffered a terrible injury and had to sleep in my recliner, so I bought a second machine, Resmed ASV from Supplier #2. This machine is the previous model (S9), although mine was barely used. I set it up the same as my Dreamstation, as far as possible (slightly different features), and I got it so that my AHIs were just as good, but I found it very uncomfortable. It's still sitting net to the recliner, and I decided that it's a bit more compact, so if I need to travel that's the one I'll take with me. Otherwise, I'm back to my bed with the Dreamstation.

The common wisdom is that Resmed is superior to Respironics, but I'd like to emphasize your second paragraph. I'm one of the ones who finds that Respironics is far better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Greetings!
You might want to ask your doctor what the setting is that made him choose that particular machine.
As for getting info, here are the two websites with specs:

https://www.usa.philips.com/healthcare/p...ion-system

https://www.resmed.com/en-us/healthcare-...ve-10-asv/

hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
In order to obtain my first ASV machine, my sleep doctor said I had to take a sleep test using the ASV technology.  That test was done using a Respironics ASV machine.  At that time, I had been used to using a ResMed Bilevel Aircurve machine.  I came away from the test noticing a big difference in the ResMed machine and the Respironics machine.  That difference was an ever so slight delay in the incoming air when you inhale on the Respironic machine.  It was so noticeable that I had trouble getting a good night's sleep during the test.  When you inhale on the ResMed machine, the incoming breath is instant and feels normal.  Not so with the Respironics.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been told by my current Lincare RT that there are noticable breath pattern differences for ResMed vs Respironics and that if you're used to whichever brand then it's a good idea to stick with that brand when going to a new or higher level machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,054 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 229 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 783 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 673 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,408 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,294 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck
  Respironics Recall Resolved Jeremy H 0 349 09-16-2023, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Jeremy H

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.