Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

2 nights on c-pap and more tired?
2 nights on c-pap and more tired?
I have been on c-pap for 2 nights now and today I feel more tired. I was happy I made it two whole nights with the mask on and did not wake up at 3AM or with a headache. However, I have woke up at 5 AM both times with incredibly dry mouth. I think it's what is waking me up. However I do recall waking up other times briefly. One time, I remember waking up thinking there must not be enough pressure anymore on cpap. It was weird but the settings same. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone early on in use?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 2 nights on c-pap and more tired?
(02-24-2016, 04:05 PM)Sleepyabby Wrote: I have been on c-pap for 2 nights now and today I feel more tired. I was happy I made it two whole nights with the mask on and did not wake up at 3AM or with a headache. However, I have woke up at 5 AM both times with incredibly dry mouth. I think it's what is waking me up. However I do recall waking up other times briefly. One time, I remember waking up thinking there must not be enough pressure anymore on cpap. It was weird but the settings same. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone early on in use?

It has only been 2 nights so don't get discouraged by anything. It is a treatment that not many adapt to overnight. Patience is the key, keep following your treatment guidelines and as your body and mind adapts you will probably start to see improvement. It doesn't sound from your first couple of nights that you will have trouble adapting over time. Dry mouth kind of indicates you may be mouth breathing and waking up during the night is nothing unique as most do. You will have good nights and bad nights but just keep on trucking. This is not an overnight cure so as I said be patient. See if the dry mouth continues and if it does you may want to look at ways to deal with mouth breathing which include the use of ffm's and chin straps. Good luck.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for reply. I think right at this moment I am very frustrated with how little energy I have at this time. The thing that really sticks out is how that one time I woke up feeling like there was hardly any pressure. Yet when I took mask off you could tell it was blowing same. Really weird. Do you think the tubing moving around with me what was waking me up?
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you are using a hybrid mask, mouth breathing isn't supposed to be a problem. You may need to set your humidifier up a notch or two.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

Which machine are your using? Fill out profile with exact model and name, also which mask are you using? This helps us to better answer your questions.

As far as feeling tired...you've only been on therapy for 2 days. Some take longer to start feeling better, but don't give up. The fact that you woke up without a headache is a plus. Wink

Are you using your humidifier? Play with the settings. The right humidity will make a difference.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Using Remstar Auto A flex also says Sytem one on the machine. I don't know about software. Using respironics Amaraview mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2016, 04:59 PM)Sleepyabby Wrote: Using Remstar Auto A flex also says Sytem one on the machine. I don't know about software. Using respironics Amaraview mask.

You have a great machine...I have the same.

You can download the free Sleepyhead software so you can keep track of your therapy.
http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

Also, if you haven't already, order the Clinicial Manual for your machine.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum

You experience is common. Fortunately you found the forum fast.
There's lot of good advice. I recommend reading all of OpalRoses posts: JustMango knows a thing or two also.

I was really dehydrated the first 6 weeks. I recommend 16 ounces of water. When you take of the mask off in the morning, until the dryness goes a way,Dancing
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
like you, i felt worse when starting therapy. my machine was properly treating my apnea but i just felt worse and much more tired. with the help i got on this forum and some time i was able to make some adjustments to my machine and sleep hygiene and within about 2-3 months started feeling the benefits. i think i still have room for improvement as i'm often still tired but feel great otherwise.
i suspect my tiredness is imaginary because i absolutely love sleeping with my hose where before i was deathly afraid to fall asleep and avoided it at all costs. my current 30 day average in 9.8 hours a night.

stick with it and learn all you can from this forum, it does get better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Abby, I felt like someone had beat me up (gently) for about the first week that I used CPAP. I had soreness around my ribcage especially. I don't know if it was just from my body adjusting to the air pressure or if maybe I was sleeping on my back more than I usually do.

I know what you mean about there not seeming to be any pressure sometimes. I really noticed that the first couple of weeks. When I first put on the mask it would feel like there was a lot of pressure but later it would feel like there was none, even though the pressure setting was constant.

As for the dry mouth, you might check your humidity setting (and top up the water reservoir if needed). The other possibility is that you're sleeping with your mouth open if you have a mask that doesn't cover your mouth.

I would urge you to work at getting the comfort issues worked out so that you can use the CPAP every night and to keep an eye on your nightly AHI numbers for now and give things at least three months (some people say six months or even a year to see full benefits from CPAP use).

I am also hoping that my energy will improve. So far, I mostly am experiencing a different kind of tired.

I didn't have daytime sleepiness before I started using CPAP, but I have it now. It's mild, but I am yawning a lot.

I do not feel "tired but wired" any longer, and I kind of think that's an improvement, because it's an awful feeling to be exhausted but still need a pill to fall asleep.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 172 8 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 174 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 130 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 256 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 249 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.