Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

2 questions about new DreamStation 2
2 questions about new DreamStation 2
So, I was VERY happy with my original DS, but due to the recalls I ended up getting a new DS2 and having to send back the old DS.

My 2 questions are:

1 - Is the Ramp function similar in that it starts off at a lower setting and slowly ramps up to my normal pressure? It seems like it stays at 4 and then after 30 minutes jumps straight up to my normal setting instead of a gradual increase.  Perhaps just perception, but my first use of it last night had me taking it off in my sleep after only 1.2 hours of use.

2 - Is there any way to turn off the damn white light in the circle/ring of the Therapy Button when the unit isn't being used? It seems like if the unit isn't in Therapy mode (there are occasional nights I don't use the CPAP) the light just stays on all night and is very bright and keeps me and the wife from falling asleep.  As a result I have to unplug the entire machine or figure out a way to cover over the light.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 2 questions about new DreamStation 2
Hi and Welcome to Apnea Board!  

I'm bumping this thread up in hopes you will receive some help from DS2 owners.

If you need a Clinicians manual, order it Here.

Scroll down to Section Three to find your machine.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2022, 09:39 AM)greywolf Wrote: 1 - Is the Ramp function similar in that it starts off at a lower setting and slowly ramps up to my normal pressure? It seems like it stays at 4 and then after 30 minutes jumps straight up to my normal setting instead of a gradual increase.  Perhaps just perception, but my first use of it last night had me taking it off in my sleep after only 1.2 hours of use.

No, the DS2 uses what they unironically call "Ramp Plus". Essentially, as you've observed, they've taken the "ramp" out of "ramp plus." It sits at your initial pressure and then jumps up at the end, or earlier if it notices any respiratory events.

It seems like a pretty substantial step backwards to me.

Quote:2 - Is there any way to turn off the damn white light in the circle/ring of the Therapy Button when the unit isn't being used? It seems like if the unit isn't in Therapy mode (there are occasional nights I don't use the CPAP) the light just stays on all night and is very bright and keeps me and the wife from falling asleep.  As a result I have to unplug the entire machine or figure out a way to cover over the light.

The DS2 is full of really terrible design decisions, and that's one of them. On the DS1 there was an ambient light sensor, so it would dial down the white light on the power button to be barely visible in a dark room, and not at all obtrusive. They dropped the ambient light sensor on the DS2 (it's clear that it owes its entire existence to the pursuit of cost reduction), so now you're stuck with a bright white light. Also, the LEDs are soldered onto the logic board, so you can't simply unplug them.

Just be thankful they eventually turn off the bright green light after you start therapy...

For covers (back when I had a 60-series which had a bright blue-white LCD), I've used black cloth. My favorites have been a folded up black sleep mask resting on top, or (more flexible) the black carrying bag for Bolle safety goggles. Or, if you want to open it up, you could cover the LEDs with black electrical tape.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. Unfortunately I am stuck with this machine (insurance) - so I guess I'll have to just get used to it.

Great idea on the black cloth and facemask to cover things up.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 158 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  DreamStation Go Recall [consolidated replacement & compensation info & questions] PHXSleeper 127 19,661 12-17-2023, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,595 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.