Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: 2 routers, share internet, but isolate subnets
(10-06-2016 04:23 AM)justMongo Wrote:  These are both 2009 era routers by Linksys. Model WRT610N.
Neither has IPv6 capability. R1 is plugged into a Motorola 2210 DSL modem. The modem is in full bridge mode -- so the modem is just a dumb mod/demod. R1 initiates PPPoE. Both routers have a built in 4 port gigabyte switch.

Yes, I can isolate the bad actors on R1 and the protected stuff on R2.

Be sure and test the isolation of the LAN's. As I said I don't trust home routers. Linksys has many, many, MANY buggy insecure things that I know of. Sadly, many of the other manufacturers are probably worse, just not as thoroughly explored as Linksys.

One "simple" solution would be to use a third cheap home router. Plug R3 into the modem, then plug R1 and R2 into the LAN ports on R3. On most home routers, the upstream "WAN" port network can't see the LAN side of the router. No special configuration required, they're isolated out of the box.

You might think there will be a performance hit, but your home routers are SO much faster than your DSL, that you'll never see it. Well, except that there are more places for things to break.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
10-06-2016 04:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

Why not IPv6? - Part 2
Oh, I forgot another thing. By "default," IPv6 sends your MAC address along with every internet request. The MAC address is a unique number built into your PC, phone, etc. Change ISP's, go to a neighbor's house, go to coffee shop, use a hotel WiFi, etc., and there is a unique ID that web sites, ISP's, WiFi access points, hotels, businesses, etc. can use to track you.

Enough people complained about this that they are, in theory, offering a workaround, but you may have to know to set it up, or you'll be tracked by default.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
10-06-2016 04:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [News] U.S. Delays Giving Up Oversight of Internet ApneaNews 1 454 08-20-2015 10:12 PM
Last Post: archangle
  Do not use Internet Explorer! retired_guy 5 1,312 05-02-2014 05:04 PM
Last Post: PollCat
  ACA aka Obamacare: Share your story! cowboy1970 15 2,867 03-16-2014 04:04 PM
Last Post: zonk
  Authorities gain power to collect Australians' internet records SuperSleeper 4 1,434 08-27-2012 06:22 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper