Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Machine trouble
RE: Machine trouble
(02-22-2015, 08:13 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Yes, I would not want to be mean either, but your cpap does not run off of a battery. So why did you try to charge it up?

The Respironics 550 will work GREAT off of a battery source. Without converter. 12 V on the 25mm plug, center positive, outer negative, and you're good to go.

That is one reason that I have switched over to Respironics from the Resmed line - so easy to just hook up to battery in the event of power outage: uncouple humidifier, Swap tube to flow generator. Get battery from closet. Set battery on floor by bed. Hook up battery line. Turn on. Go back to sleep. For several days if desired. Depending on battery capacity. Like 10 days, conservatively, on my settings out of a 39 AH SLA battery...

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2015, 02:11 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(02-22-2015, 08:13 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Yes, I would not want to be mean either, but your cpap does not run off of a battery. So why did you try to charge it up?

The Respironics 550 will work GREAT off of a battery source. Without converter. 12 V on the 25mm plug, center positive, outer negative, and you're good to go.

That is one reason that I have switched over to Respironics from the Resmed line - so easy to just hook up to battery in the event of power outage: uncouple humidifier, Swap tube to flow generator. Get battery from closet. Set battery on floor by bed. Hook up battery line. Turn on. Go back to sleep. For several days if desired. Depending on battery capacity. Like 10 days, conservatively, on my settings out of a 39 AH SLA battery...

OMM

Yeah, I get that. I was just a bit confused by the OP's original comment to wit: "I connected my CPAP to a battery charger and I think that I fried the circuits." But then, I'm easily confused.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2015, 01:25 PM)NotImorg Wrote: I am gathering how dangerous the power supply is. The question still remains: Can I buy a circuit board and just replace it?

Unpossible. These circuit boards are not available to the public, and I think even an authorized repair facility would use a salvaged board from another unit. You need to focus on replacing your machine. Where are you located? I can probably help you locate a machine or put you in touch with someone that has a practically new one for sale under $350.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi NotImorg,
Sorry you "fried" your machine! In the meantime, are your using any CPAP at all?

I agree with previous posters here that you probably won't find a circuit board.
It seems that you like to tinker and are hell bent on fixing that machine if possible. Thinking-about

So for now, find a way to purchase another machine as suggested, and tinker with the "fried" machine. Who knows, maby you will succeed in repairing it, then keep it as a backup.
Coffee
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The best price I found for a similar machine (Auto) was over $400, used. I found a circuit board online for $275. Anyone have a better idea?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2015, 08:05 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The machine will work off of a 12 volt battery, however a battery charger actually provides higher voltage and will attempt to feed higher current (amps) than your machine requires...

A DECENT battery charger will only provide a voltage slightly higher than the 12 volts, will provide it without AC ripple, and will shut off when sensing feedback that the battery is fully charged.

But a battery charger is designed to charge a battery, and not to power a device. And not all battery chargers are as benign as a DECENT one, so either of these facts may be why we have a failed CPAP.

So the recommendation is not to use a battery charger in place of a AC to DC power supply. Ohms law says that if the resistive load is the same (and we have to assume it is) that the only way to draw more current is to have more voltage, as they are in a direct relationship. So a 12VDC power supply of any kind should work, assuming it pins out correctly and has the rated current capacity needed. But a battery charger may pulse AC and may have a significantly higher voltage than the PS did, which then is why it is not recommended in this application.

But there may be a fix; most devices have a fuse or fusible link, not so much to protect the circuitry as to keep it from catching on fire and to adhere to UL. So the fix may be simple, and anyone who professionally fixes any electronic device with a power supply should be able to fix this for much less than the cost of a new CPAP. Or not.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2015, 08:55 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: So the fix may be simple, and anyone who professionally fixes any electronic device with a power supply should be able to fix this for much less than the cost of a new CPAP. Or not.

Was that a question? Repair costs have no relationship to the cost of parts in the original equipment. The labor to diagnose, and the availability of parts are important factors in final cost. Even shipping is an important factor. A simple fix is not necessarily "cheap".

In this case we're talking about a 50 series CPAP that can probably be replaced for less than authorized repair facility repair costs. The O.P. is just looking for parts so he can DIY a repair.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 203 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,863 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 233 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 458 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Trouble with multiple masks jlpool 5 696 11-28-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 876 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,143 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.