Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

24 years old, Central Sleep Apnea only. Check out my OSCAR data?
Question 
24 years old, Central Sleep Apnea only. Check out my OSCAR data?
Hi all, I've suffered from being extreme tiredness throughout the day for at least ~5 years. Really not fun for a 20-something year old that is "supposed to have energy". I finally got a home sleep study done which then lead to an in lab titration study. Turns out I have moderate central apnea, with an AHI of ~20. From what I've read about central apnea, it seems it is mainly due to brain injuries?? Which scares me. 

Anyways, I bought an ASV online because I couldn't wait for insurance, DME, etc. I wanted treatment ASAP. I've been using it for a week and two days now, and am still very tired throughout the day.

Is there anything you notice about my OSCAR charts that could explain why? Do I just give it more time? Thanks guys.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 24 years old, Central Sleep Apnea only. Check out my OSCAR data?
First of all, most of the central and complex sleep apnea we see on this forum does not have a diagnosed neurological cause, but is what we call idiopathic. There is CSA but we don't know why. In your case it is fully resolved with the ASV, so the next step is to try to find settings that give you the restorative sleep you need, while continuing to keep your event rate low or zero. There is nothing obvious in your charts. Your respiration rate, volume and everything else looks good. With EPAP min 5.0, EPAP max 8.0, PS min 3.8 and PS max 15.0 you are very close to default settings for ASV auto, but apparently you have found that disruptive to your sleep. What I see in these charts is that you can use a fixed ASV with and EPAP min of 5.0. You just don't need any higher expiratory pressure to maintain a patent airway. I think you should drop PS min to 3.0 and PS max to 10.0. We can only observe if that results in events that are not fully addressed and then make adjustments from there. The objective is to limit the pressure response of the machine in hopes of avoiding sleep disruption while maintaining your excellent efficacy. Other than that, you have a bit of leak issue, but while it may be disruptive, it is not affecting therapy efficacy. If you ever get a chance, try the Airfit P10 which is a smaller, lighter, and quieter mask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
How did you choose your initial settings? Did you have a titration study?

As Sleeprider says, it’s not necessarily brain injury, but it often is neurological in origin. Sometimes it’s due to biochemical causes, such as like w sensitivity to CO2 (which is what drives our breathing reflex).

I’m glad you got it diagnosed!

Since you’ve bought it, work on the settings that let you get restorative sleep. Eventually there are alternatives to ASV that you can try if you’re still not getting good sleep after a few months: acetazolamide (didn’t work for me, increases risk of kidney stones) or EERS (which still requires CPAP).

Good luck, there is hope!
Post Reply Post Reply
i know this post hasn't been updated in a while but i was wondering how it's going and if your problems are gone?
Post Reply Post Reply
The OP hasn't been on the board since last February.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] OSCAR Data Review for New User goodfella7763 3 152 2 hours ago
Last Post: goodfella7763
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,660 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,549 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Just getting started, looking for an OSCAR data review mattcole3 3 102 04-12-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad 7 Years of Pap Therapy and Still Utterly Fatigued. Top doctors Unhelpful kalensk 1 105 04-11-2024, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help - OSCAR Data Flspearfisher 2 377 04-11-2024, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Flspearfisher
  Help reading OSCAR data JenniferJuniper 23 1,206 04-11-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.