Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

253 Spontaneous Arousals in one night?
253 Spontaneous Arousals in one night?
I had two sleep studies. One without and the second one with titration. The numbers during my titration night all dropped down significantly. With the exception of spontaneous arousals. I had 253 during the titration night. Can anyone shed light on this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 253 Spontaneous Arousals in one night?
What your sleep doctor say and recommendation

Most of the times, we are not aware of arousals, unless we wake up
Too many arousals can makes us feeling sleepy during the day and prevent us from getting into deeper sleep stages which are restorative sleep and important stages and feeling rested in the morning

Did the report say anything about leg movements, snoring, and whats was blood oxygen levels during the nights

Welcome to the forum, rockncountry101
Post Reply Post Reply
No leg movements. Only mild snoring the first night; none the second night. Oxygen never dropped. First night was horrible. Titration night was the difference of night and day. I still had 43 spontaneous arousals per hour. This compared to only 5 respiratory arousals and 5 limb arousals.
FWIW, I have poor sleep architecture. It could be from 20 mg of Lexapro and 2 mg of Xanax every day.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't know much about arousals but found the following:

http://www.apneaboard.com/How-To-Interpr...-Study.pdf

[Image: arousals_zpsvh7vs8nw.png]

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the link Ted. I find it interesting.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2015, 04:17 PM)rockncountry101 Wrote: No leg movements. Only mild snoring the first night; none the second night. Oxygen never dropped. First night was horrible. Titration night was the difference of night and day. I still had 43 spontaneous arousals per hour. This compared to only 5 respiratory arousals and 5 limb arousals.
FWIW, I have poor sleep architecture. It could be from 20 mg of Lexapro and 2 mg of Xanax every day.

Could not glean from your posts how many arousals that you had during diagnostic portion of your sleep study.

Speculating here, but perhaps your 'spontaneous arousals' were induced by the mask during titration study. OTOH, really don't know if lab can differentiate between those induced by mask or not.

Last night I awakened or was in the midst of having an awakening because I took off the mask at 4:05 am. I'd better place a clock near me when this happens because I do recall thinking that the night was over but felt tired, and, as so many do, went back to sleep until about 7 to 7:30 am without the mask. I had 'thought' that it was much later in the morning, so would just 'nap' a bit. Yeah, right.

That's certainly not optimizing therapy for the night. As I write this it's 8:53 am, have already walked dog, had a cup of coffee, feel 'okay' thus far. I do know and have experienced that I certainly feel better with last night's 4 hours on CPAP than without it.

I usually use some type of sleep aid. Last night used a comparatively tiny dose of hydroxyzine- 1/4 of a 25mg pill, or 6.25mg. Will probably take 12.5 mg tonight. Normal dosage is at least 25mg or even 50mg, but on 25mg I feel it considerably into next day. This stuff has long half-life and is strong and calming, but watch your dosage. I take it as early as 6 p.m. If I take it later, especially at dose of 25mg, it stays with me late into the next day. It is generally considered safer than benzodiazepines or 'Z' drugs (e.g., Ambien, etc.) and is not addictive. It was originally offered as an anti-histamine and has been around a very long time as 'Atarax'.

The overriding factor for me in feeling very good or even great, despite a BMI of 31 or so, is getting in at least 6-7 hours CPAP sleep a night, with or without (preferred) sleep aids.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2015, 10:36 AM)PaytonA Wrote: Thanks for the link Ted. I find it interesting.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

You're welcome. I find it informative, straightforward. As with anything, there may be some ambiguities in it, but the source seems quite credible. Has tied up some 'loose ends' for me. Haven't found anything better from one source on the internet that contains as much broad content re the subject matter, presented in such a fine, purposefully understandable manner. It's perceived by me as contained in an 'outline' or 'flash-card' type of format.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ted, the PDF link was extremely slow loading for me, so I went ahead and uploaded it to our server so folks can download it quicker:

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2015, 11:50 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Ted, the PDF link was extremely slow loading for me, so I went ahead and uploaded it to our server so folks can download it quicker:

Hi, I clicked on the apnea board link, above, and it took a little bit of time with 25mbps to download. Suggest that once the pdf displays for members they save it to their hard drive for easy and quicker access. Download it to one's desktop, merely click on the shortcut.

Thanks,

Post Reply Post Reply
The arousals are partly due to habit - you are used to having them due to the apnoea, and it takes a while for the brain to retrain. Once the source of the arousals are removed, it will take a few months for your brain to adjust. Some call it sleep debt, but that is just a myth. The rest of the arousals are due to pressure needs and other changes from new outside stimuli.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Fractured sleep: Spontaneous arousal or breathing related? Twoshade 8 562 12-24-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Twoshade
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 708 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Suffering from Arousals. Potential unflagged obstructions? Norman2195 4 678 07-16-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 851 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  [CPAP] Are these flow patterns arousals? or just normal breathing? holycarrots 6 1,327 06-27-2023, 12:47 PM
Last Post: holycarrots
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 9 1,097 05-18-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: manders513

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.