Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

253 Spontaneous Arousals in one night?
RE: 253 Spontaneous Arousals in one night?
Possible UARS (Upper Airway Resistive Syndrome)? Depending on when in the study things were going on and the pressure, it may be a possibility worth checking into. I only say this as during my sleep study I had ~50 sleep disruptions (but not long enough issues in breating to count as apnea events) per hour, but only an AHI of 6....x6 hrs = ~300 disruptions in a night...and the final verdict for me was UARS.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the link Ted. Informative.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Xanax can make you sleep but it is usually for a short period of time. I heard people say they took 4 or more at night to sleep. Not something I would do because it would kick my fanny. YMMV

Lavender gel caps might help you with the anxiety but you should always check with your doctor to make sure it doesn't interact negatively with your other medications.
Post Reply Post Reply
I the sleep lab environment I would expect a lot of arousals unless you
do that for a living.

:/
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2015, 10:58 AM)tedburnsIII Wrote: [quote='rockncountry101' pid='120539' dateline='1436131035']

I usually use some type of sleep aid. Last night used a comparatively tiny dose of hydroxyzine- 1/4 of a 25mg pill, or 6.25mg. Will probably take 12.5 mg tonight. Normal dosage is at least 25mg or even 50mg, but on 25mg I feel it considerably into next day. This stuff has long half-life and is strong and calming, but watch your dosage. I take it as early as 6 p.m. If I take it later, especially at dose of 25mg, it stays with me late into the next day. It is generally considered safer than benzodiazepines or 'Z' drugs (e.g., Ambien, etc.) and is not addictive. It was originally offered as an anti-histamine and has been around a very long time as 'Atarax'.

The overriding factor for me in feeling very good or even great, despite a BMI of 31 or so, is getting in at least 6-7 hours CPAP sleep a night, with or without (preferred) sleep aids.

I am on a low dose of Clonazepam, and I was told that Hydroxyzine is more anticholengeric, and therefore more dangerous if you have complex sleep apnea. Is this true?

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2015, 08:30 PM)JVinNE Wrote: I am on a low dose of Clonazepam, and I was told that Hydroxyzine is more anticholengeric, and therefore more dangerous if you have complex sleep apnea. Is this true?

Hydroxyzine is one of the first generation antihistamines and they all have strong anticholergenic effects, which accounts for their frequent use as sedatives. Whether or not this is good or bad for complex sleep apnea is not something I know.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Every time I see this thread, I HAVE to chuckle!!! Oh-jeez

Sorry, I'm just an old curmudgeon.

fos
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2015, 08:49 PM)foss Wrote: Every time I see this thread, I HAVE to chuckle!!! Oh-jeez

Sorry, I'm just an old curmudgeon.

fos

How is the Amara View working out for you, foss? I'm considering trying one out.

Post Reply Post Reply

Quote:...I'd better place a clock near me when this happens because I do recall thinking that the night was over but felt tired, and, as so many do, went back to sleep until about 7 to 7:30 am without the mask. I had 'thought' that it was much later in the morning, so would just 'nap' a bit. Yeah, right.

A little sidebar here:

Getting the time when you are awake is something we all want, and maybe more important when dealing with sleep disturbance issues.

Radio Shack (remember them?) used to sell a little talking clock; push the button, and Stephen Hawking or someone that sounds like him tells you what time it is. I wore out two of them over 30 years until they stopped making them.

But there is a free app! Download VOX Clock (coincidentally, similarly named to the RatShack physical cube clock from the 80's), and just keep your phone or iPad plugged in and near the bed, touch the screen briefly as you reach out in the darkness without your specs, and a girl with a European accent either tells you the time, or whispers it to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
JVine,

I have been using the Amara View for a week. I tried it due to the pressure the Simplus put on the soft tissue under my eyes. The puffiness under my eyes is reduced. The Amara View is a little more finicky to keep from leaking. I have had to adjust the attachment straps a couple of times at night during the week. Since I have to use the small version, it puts more pressure on my lower teeth. To minimize that, I have to keep the lower straps only as tight as necessary. The small size is very nice. I expect that it will be more comfortable as I become accustomed to using it.

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Fractured sleep: Spontaneous arousal or breathing related? Twoshade 8 560 12-24-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Twoshade
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 706 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Suffering from Arousals. Potential unflagged obstructions? Norman2195 4 677 07-16-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 850 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  [CPAP] Are these flow patterns arousals? or just normal breathing? holycarrots 6 1,325 06-27-2023, 12:47 PM
Last Post: holycarrots
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 9 1,096 05-18-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: manders513

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.