Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

275 spontaneous arousals ?
275 spontaneous arousals ?
So my wife often feels tired in the mornings and sometimes during the day, she likes to sleep a lot longer in the mornings than me if she can.

Her sleep issues is definitely not anywhere near mine, she rarely takes naps during the day but get sleepy fast when night approaches.
It was enough to warrant a sleep study, however the conclusion was that there was nothing wrong found.

The thing that really stood out reading the report to us was that she had 275 spontaneous arousals, giving and index of 40.9/h.
Sound like a lot but we have no idea what is normal, maybe it was just an issue being annoyed at all the cables connected?

Please have a look at the study, maybe someone with more knowledge have some good insight to what is going on?

Attached Files
.pdf   sleep_study.pdf (Size: 732.5 KB / Downloads: 65)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 275 spontaneous arousals ?
Please contact them and ask if they scored RERAs. I REALLY doubt that in three seperate sleep studies (two for you and one for your wife), with hundreds of arousals, not a single one was a RERA.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, will do!
Will be interesting to hear what they say.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I did call the sleep center, but could not get much useful information. It sounded like they only look for RERAs if ordered to or if it's "bad enough".
The woman on the other end said "If there are RERAs we would tell there are RERAs!" she sounded kinda angry/annoyed when I was asking about this...

Impression was that they had no idea, will bring it up with our Doctor next.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2019, 02:48 PM)PotatoStealer Wrote: So I did call the sleep center, but could not get much useful information. It sounded like they only look for RERAs if ordered to or if it's "bad enough".
The woman on the other end said "If there are RERAs we would tell there are RERAs!" she sounded kinda angry/annoyed when I was asking about this...

Impression was that they had no idea, will bring it up with our Doctor next.

If they didn't bother to check for RERAs, that's pretty (what's the word I'm looking for) ... irresponsible.

Definitely try to sort that out with the doc, because whether they're breathing-related or not makes a HUGE difference in what you might do about it.

Actually, I missed the subsequent pages. They do report RERAs ("respiratory" arousals). They are pretty low.
Post Reply Post Reply
Page 2 of 4. 2nd last column on the right. Look closely, it says RERA and it says 0.
Therefore, those respiratory arousals are not RERAs, they're just apneas, hypopneas or whatever. Not RERAs.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, sorry the fax quality makes it difficult to see.
Post Reply Post Reply
One number that jumped out at me was the max heart rate = 255 bpm. That seems astonishingly high, and I'm surprised that wasn't followed up.
Post Reply Post Reply
The graphs do not include a heart rate trace, so we don't know what conditions or duration is associated with tachycardia. That might be worth looking into. The detailed graphs show a persistent series of arousals with a couple notable periods of deep N3 sleep free of arousal. While I agree with the report conclusion that arousals are not respiratory event related, however they occur on average every minute, and during the clusters of apnea, they appear to be happening much more frequently. These arousals need to be treated, and to recommend better sleep hygiene seems very dismissive.

You know there are arousals, and the only conclusion is that it is not something likely to respond to sleep disordered breathing therapy. She needs to continue to pursue a medical solution to allow her to have sustained restorative sleep. This is an example of "sleep medicine" failing to treat the patient when the problem is not related to sleep apnea. I would start with a discussion with her regular physician to develop a plan to further investigate and treat this problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Marking RERAs is optional.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] Mysterious Arousals freakyfrog 7 102 9 hours ago
Last Post: freakyfrog
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,218 04-17-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  [Diagnosis] Fractured sleep: Spontaneous arousal or breathing related? Twoshade 8 588 12-24-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Twoshade
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 748 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Suffering from Arousals. Potential unflagged obstructions? Norman2195 4 699 07-16-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  [CPAP] Are these flow patterns arousals? or just normal breathing? holycarrots 6 1,364 06-27-2023, 12:47 PM
Last Post: holycarrots
Sad [CPAP] Need Help. What is causing these clear airway events and arousals? Norman2195 5 859 04-30-2023, 08:08 PM
Last Post: esleepie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.