Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

2nd DreamStation with a Whistle? Should I get a different brand?
2nd DreamStation with a Whistle? Should I get a different brand?
Unfortunately - and very frustratingly - I am on my third DreamStation BiPAP Auto in less than a week The first one went back last week for a clicking humidifier lid after about 5 weeks of use (they gave me a completely new unit). But, the one they gave me to replace it had a whistling noise on an inhale so they replaced it yesterday with another DreamStation

I set up the third unit last night and it whistles on inhale even worse than the last one. It actually woke my wife up a couple of times. So, I'm calling my DME again this morning to request yet another exchange. I wish they had just given me a new humidifier for the first machine and all would have probably been fine. I have not had any issues with the humidifier lid noise since then, only this annoying whistle. 

I checked out the machine thoroughly - the seals seem very secure, the humidifier is firmly attached, the filters are tightly in place, etc. Yet, if I inhale even just slightly more than a resting inhalation, I get a whistle with the deeper the inhalation, the louder the whistle. It is very distracting and makes it hard to fall asleep or stay asleep. And, as I said, this one is even woke up my wife. 

Has anyone else had trouble with their DreamStation whistling during your inhale? I'm just wondering if this is a chronic problem or I have just been unfortunate with this last two machines? 

Should I request a completely different type of machine instead of the DreamStation? I'm really beginning to lose confidence in the DreamStation but I really do like the machine, its functionality, and controls. But, it is the only one I've ever used so I have nothing to compare it with.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 2nd DreamStation with a Whistle? Should I get a different brand?
Did you get a new mask and hose with it?

Neither the loaner test machine, nor the brand new one I bought, have a whistle or noise issue of any kind.

I use a Fisher & Paykal Eson nose mask with mine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2017, 07:08 AM)Ockrocket Wrote: Did you get a new mask and hose with it?

Neither the loaner test machine, nor the brand new one I bought, have a whistle or noise issue of any kind.

I use a Fisher & Paykal Eson nose mask with mine.

Hi and thanks for the reply. No, I am using the same mask and hose but the noise is not coming from either. When I unplug the hose and let the machine blow full flow, the whistle is at its loudest so I know it is not from the hose or mask. 

It's odd because the first machine I had and used for about 5 weeks had no noise at all other than the clicking sound from the humidifier lid latch. These last two machines both have had a nosie/whistle that I am sure must be some sort of air leak but I cannot locate the cause of it?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2017, 07:04 AM)Raven87 Wrote: Unfortunately - and very frustratingly - I am on my third DreamStation BiPAP Auto in less than a week The first one went back last week for a clicking humidifier lid after about 5 weeks of use (they gave me a completely new unit). But, the one they gave me to replace it had a whistling noise on an inhale so they replaced it yesterday with another DreamStation

I set up the third unit last night and it whistles on inhale even worse than the last one. It actually woke my wife up a couple of times. So, I'm calling my DME again this morning to request yet another exchange. I wish they had just given me a new humidifier for the first machine and all would have probably been fine. I have not had any issues with the humidifier lid noise since then, only this annoying whistle. 

I checked out the machine thoroughly - the seals seem very secure, the humidifier is firmly attached, the filters are tightly in place, etc. Yet, if I inhale even just slightly more than a resting inhalation, I get a whistle with the deeper the inhalation, the louder the whistle. It is very distracting and makes it hard to fall asleep or stay asleep. And, as I said, this one is even woke up my wife. 

Has anyone else had trouble with their DreamStation whistling during your inhale? I'm just wondering if this is a chronic problem or I have just been unfortunate with this last two machines? 

Should I request a completely different type of machine instead of the DreamStation? I'm really beginning to lose confidence in the DreamStation but I really do like the machine, its functionality, and controls. But, it is the only one I've ever used so I have nothing to compare it with.

Hi Raven87

I can totally relate to your post. I'm a dreamstation user and returned my unit twice. The first return was for a non functioning SD card slot. I kept that machine for over a month
because the therapy was effective and I thought the SD card was the problem. When I realized the card slot wasn't working, I returned the machine to my distributor. He tested it, confirmed it didn't work and sent in for a replacement machine.

The replacement machine card slot worked great. I tested it as soon as I got the unit home. I was so excited to finally be able to use the SleepyHead program!

That first night, I realized not all dreamstation units are created equal. I had the same whistle issue on inhaling you describe. The stronger my inhaling, the stronger the whistle.
My first night with the new machine was causing me a lot of anxiousness....I tried to ignore the whistle but found it very difficult to sleep.
The second night was intolerable. The whistle actually became louder, then turned into a whirring sounding noise..(like a computer hard drive that's going bad)..and got increasingly louder!

I called my distributor from work the next day (Friday) and told him of the issue. I explained I could not keep the new machine because it was defective.
I had to wait through the weekend till the following Monday, but was in the distributors office first thing that morning.

I asked to speak to a manager and we got a new machine ordered. They gave me a loaner to use as well (that was perfectly quiet).
Crazy thing was the defective machine would not make the whistle or whirring noise when I took it in to be tested and replaced!!!
The manager was awesome, he explained that if there is an issue like mine had, it might not show up until the unit had been running for a little while.

So, long story short, the third machine was the charm. I love the dreamstation, but do think some of the units may have an issue. 

Take it back until you get a quiet one! It's your health at stake. Do not settle for anything less than a perfectly operating machine.  Smile

p.s. here's my post from when my second machine was acting up....( http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...se-Success )
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your reply Surfbear and for your encouragement! I do really love everything about the DreamStation and with the help of forum members here - espeically Sleeprider - I have now had steady AHIs in the 1.5 to sub 1.0 range with a lowest of .13 so I know it works.

I will be calling my DME once more at my next break and ask for yet another machine so hopefully the next one will the one!

Thanks again for your reply.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2017, 08:08 AM)Raven87 Wrote: Thank you for your reply Surfbear and for your encouragement! I do really love everything about the DreamStation and with the help of forum members here - espeically Sleeprider - I have now had steady AHIs in the 1.5 to sub 1.0 range with a lowest of .13 so I know it works.

I will be calling my DME once more at my next break and ask for yet another machine so hopefully the next one will the one!

Thanks again for your reply.

Yup. When I went to take mine back I actually mentioned that there were others having the same issue, and I was aware because I had read
posts online from other dreamstation users. I went in to my distributor ready for a fight. I was blown away by how helpful the manager was.

Note: before I went in to see my distributor, I called Philips Respironics. They documented my issue and gave me an authorization number 
to reference my claim. I took that into my distributor and it helped move things along. I also asked to speak to a manager at Philips Respironics
after I had been given the authorization number. I followed up with him as well and he made sure the new machine was shipped out in a timely manner.

He also called me with a tracking number (per my request) when the new machine was shipped out so I would know exactly when the new machine
reached the distributor's office. You'll appreciate your therapy a lot more after going thru this initial hiccup with getting a 'GOOD' machine.

The forum members here are awesome. my AHIs were averaging 3.5 before I got a working SD card slot on my machine. After posting my first graphs
from SleepyHead here in the forum, my AHI dropped below 1. Here's today's  Smile

[Image: YOMXTnh.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Surfbear. Your chart looks great and thanks for the advice on handling the issue.

I just got off the phone with my DME and so far they have been nothing but nice and helpful. I am waiting to a Respirational Therapist to call me back about the path forward so hopefully it will be to order another new machine.

I'll definitely keep everyone up to date on the progress!
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, definitely keep at them until you get a machine that is working properly [no whistling]..

Have you checked that the filters are actually installed and seated correctly? 
You will find them under the flap on the right hand side of the machine, looking face on at the dial. 

There should be two filters, one a larger coarse filter, and a flat micro filter that fits on the bottom of the coarse one.. they slide out as one piece and then can be separated for washing/replacement.
They need to be fitted together so they are inserted as one piece again. 

The Dreamstation is an excellent machine, it should not make excessive noise, even the fan under load when you exhale shouldn't be all that noticeable.... though if you live in a really quiet neighbourhood you will probably notice it for the first week or two.. I can hear a pin drop at my place, but now I'm used to using the CPAP I'm asleep in a minute or two most nights when my head hits the pillow.  Sleep-on-pillow
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2017, 05:42 AM)Ockrocket Wrote: Yes, definitely keep at them until you get a machine that is working properly [no whistling]..

Have you checked that the filters are actually installed and seated correctly? 
You will find them under the flap on the right hand side of the machine, looking face on at the dial. 

There should be two filters, one a larger coarse filter, and a flat micro filter that fits on the bottom of the coarse one.. they slide out as one piece and then can be separated for washing/replacement.
They need to be fitted together so they are inserted as one piece again. 

The Dreamstation is an excellent machine, it should not make excessive noise, even the fan under load when you exhale shouldn't be all that noticeable.... though if you live in a really quiet neighbourhood you will probably notice it for the first week or two.. I can hear a pin drop at my place, but now I'm used to using the CPAP I'm asleep in a minute or two most nights when my head hits the pillow.  Sleep-on-pillow

Thank you for your reply and suggestions Ockrocket. Good advice there indeed.

So after three phone calls with my DME as well as two different respiratory therapists that work for the DME - all of whom were very apologetic and helpful! - they have ordered me a brand new DreamStation directly from the manufacturer. 

When I was discussing the problem I pointed out that the first machine I had also had the highest serial number of the three and, that each successive machine had an even lower serial number indicating they were of an older production date. While the person at my DME was very nice she had not realized that the two replacement machines I had received were refurbished units. So they agreed to order a brand new, fresh from the factory, DreamStation. I am very happy with my DME's customer care regarding this issue.

Now, to the whistling noise. I worked a lot on my current machine (a refurbished unit) trying to trouble shoot the source of the noise. I did find that it is on the intake side of the unit and most likely in the area of the filters. If I take out both filters (humidifier disconnected, hose attached directly to the machine), it still whistles but not quite as loudly. If I put in just the blue pollen filter, it makes the same noise level on inhalation. However, if I put the white extra fine filter back in as well, the noise is louder. Remove the EF filter and the noise is less. Voila!

I had an spare extra-fine filter so I tried swapping that but it still had the same results - the noise increases with the EF in place. I cannot see any reason why this makes any difference but on this particular machine it does. 

So, I left the extra fine filter out of the machine, put it back together, refilled the humidifier, and started it back up. The whistling noise was lessened by doing this and it takes a little more forceful inhalation to make the whistle but it was much better than the night before. I actually slept pretty well last night - my AHI was a 1.0 and I feel a whole lot better than I did yesterday morning. 

My new machine should be here in a few days so I will report back the results when I get it. I do really like the DreamStation and I think had they just replaced my humidifier that had the latch problem on my first machine instead of the entire unit, I may not have ever had this whistling problem. But, who knows for sure?

Regardless, thanks to all for your replies and suggestions!
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like Respironics got a bad batch of some part.  What you might be hearing is a bad bearing.  As you inhale the blower has to spin faster to generate more air volume to maintain the set pressure (conversely, it slows on exhale).  If the bearings were a bit out of spec, the might make a noise that could be described as a whistling.  This might only happen after they warmed up.

Hopefully your replacement machine will be all A OK.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand new to this Cheesedream 53 2,504 02-09-2024, 08:12 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  I’m brand new and have a question Boba1241 6 406 12-22-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: eok361
  Full Face Mask - Whistle on exhalation slane52186 4 556 10-01-2023, 01:33 PM
Last Post: slane52186
  Brand new Bi-PAP machine whistles on inhale. S.L. Ping Beauty 4 581 02-28-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Newbie with prescription and brand new machine from relative Bruce61 1 460 02-18-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Brand new. Less than a week any observations on this OSCAR pic? billy2606 3 496 01-07-2023, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Brazen
  How to know if Resmed Airsense 11 is brand new? LordHelmet 8 1,436 01-03-2023, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Brazen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.