Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

2nd DreamStation with a Whistle? Should I get a different brand?
RE: 2nd DreamStation with a Whistle? Should I get a different brand?
Thanks Chill. That very well may be the problem so I hope the new machine will be a ninja!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Raven87, Sorry that you had to go through all this hassle.

Without going to much into detail I think that we are facing the exact same issue as you.

My husband has started using the CPAP a few months back and we went though the trouble of having to exchange the machine due to the fact that he was prescribed a CPAP when in reality he needed an APAP. The whisstling noise you describe has been our issue from day 1. We have been going back and forth to the doctor and the technician kept telling us that the noise is normal. Reading your posts I am so pleased to hear that you have taken action. I would be interested to know the outcome.

We have contacted Philips directly and I am hoping that they will either replace the devise or fix it so the issue won't persist anymore.
I would appreciate if you could keep us posted on if your situation improves and I am happy to do the same.

FYI, I am the wife of a CPAP user but I have been on this Forum for support in order to understand the therapy better and to get advise on the issues we have been facing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Tahera and welcome. I will definitely keep this thread updated. Right now, I'm waiting to hear from my DME when my new machine arrives from Phillips.

The first machine never made any whistling noise at all and it was only because of a clicking humidifier lid that they replaced it. I asked them to just replace the humidifier but they said they would just get me a completely new machine. It wasn't until later that I found out the one they gave me (and the subsequent one) was a refurbished unit. That unit started whistling nearly immediately. So, they gave me a third machine - which was also refurbished I found out. 

I'm still using the third machine (second refurbished unit) and with the extra fine filter removed, it does whistle a little less. However, a little more than a gentle inhalation will indeed cause that annoying whistle to sound so I'll be glad to get the new one - assuming it is quiet.

Thanks and I will certainly update this thread once I get the new machine. Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm glad you are gettimg this taken care of, and your DME is responsive as well.

I was really not thrilled when your DME replaced your whole machine rather than juat the humidifier... and I'm bummed to see that it hasn't worked out. :-/

As I have a DreamStation, and I'm very sensitive to noise, I pay attention to the *MANY* threads here about noisy DreamStations. Unfortunately this whistling sound is somewhat common, and I think it's a bad batch of them. I wish Phillips would recall the batch.

From reading the many threads, it seems the go-to solution is to remove the extra-fine filter. While that's an ok temporary solution, I think it's a lousy "fix". A patient should not have to trade clean air for quiet sleep.

I also think it's a sham for a DME to give someone a refurbished unit 1) without the patient knowing, and 2) while charging full price.

I do love my DreamStation. I've heard things (small quirks) about the ResMed that make me glad to stick with my DreamStation since I have mastered navigating its small quirks. But for sure a whistling noise is NOT a quirk, is not ok, and should get you a new machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2017, 11:23 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: I'm glad you are gettimg this taken care of, and your DME is responsive as well.

I was really not thrilled when your DME replaced your whole machine rather than juat the humidifier... and I'm bummed to see that it hasn't worked out. :-/

As I have a DreamStation, and I'm very sensitive to noise, I pay attention to the *MANY* threads here about noisy DreamStations.  Unfortunately this whistling sound is somewhat common, and I think it's a bad batch of them. I wish Phillips would recall the batch.  

From reading the many threads, it seems the go-to solution is to remove the extra-fine filter.  While that's an ok temporary solution, I think it's a lousy "fix".  A patient should not have to trade clean air for quiet sleep.

I also think it's a sham for a DME to give someone a refurbished unit 1) without the patient knowing, and 2) while charging full price.

I do love my DreamStation.  I've heard things (small quirks) about the ResMed that make me glad to stick with my DreamStation since I have mastered navigating its small quirks.  But for sure a whistling noise is NOT a quirk, is not ok, and should get you a new machine.

Thank you Hydrangea and I agree 100% with all you said. Hopefully my next one will be a quiet one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much. It is great to see that we all have the same issue. I believe that we can forward this threat to Philips so they can see that there is an issue with this particular batch of devises to rectify it. I hope that we will all receive a new machine and that no other issues appear.

I agree, removing the filter is not an option. I will also keep you posted on if I have any news in the meantime.

I look forward to knowing how it will go for you with the new machine.

Fingers crossed that you will receive it very soon!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2017, 12:15 PM)Tahera11979 Wrote: Thank you very much. It is great to see that we all have the same issue. I believe that we can forward this threat to Philips so they can see that there is an issue with this particular batch of devises to rectify it. I hope that we will all receive a new machine and that no other issues appear.

I agree, removing the filter is not an option. I will also keep you posted on if I have any news in the meantime.

I look forward to knowing how it will go for you with the new machine.

Fingers crossed that you will receive it very soon!

Thank you Tahera!
Post Reply Post Reply
I just picked up my new DreamStation from my DME. It appears to be a completely new unit with all manuals etc in plastic. I will get it set up for tonight and post again in the morning with the results.

Hopefully it will be a quiet night. Sleep-on-pillow
Post Reply Post Reply
Hopefully this time it will all go well for you.

My Dreamstation has been totally trouble free, as was the loan one I had for my initial testing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good news to report - this last machine is a quiet one! Not any whistle, no clicking, nothing at all - it is so quiet that if not for the air pressure/flow, I would not even know it was running.

Hopefully, it will stay that way. Regardless, I slept very well last night and it was wonderful.

Thanks to all who replied and to those that have a noisy DreamStation, lean on your DME to get you a replacement NEW one if you can.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand new to this Cheesedream 53 2,504 02-09-2024, 08:12 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  I’m brand new and have a question Boba1241 6 406 12-22-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: eok361
  Full Face Mask - Whistle on exhalation slane52186 4 556 10-01-2023, 01:33 PM
Last Post: slane52186
  Brand new Bi-PAP machine whistles on inhale. S.L. Ping Beauty 4 581 02-28-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Newbie with prescription and brand new machine from relative Bruce61 1 459 02-18-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Brand new. Less than a week any observations on this OSCAR pic? billy2606 3 496 01-07-2023, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Brazen
  How to know if Resmed Airsense 11 is brand new? LordHelmet 8 1,435 01-03-2023, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Brazen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.