Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

2nd Night: painful red sore on nostril & new congestion
2nd Night: painful red sore on nostril & new congestion
Very new user question after 2 nights of use:
* Does using CPAP ever cause congestion?
* Does congestion ever relate to sores on the skin from the mask?

NIGHT 1:

On night one, I was pleasantly surprised by how open my breathing felt using the mask. (After the claustrophobic sensation of putting it on, the easy breathing was a happy surprise.) Wearing the mask annoyed me during sleep, but not because of any issue getting air into my body. It was just "in the way," smelled funny, shifted sometimes, made a noise, and blew cold air on my painful, arthritic hands.

The mask didn't bother me upon falling asleep, but I felt some discomfort in my nostrils in the middle of of the night. Adjusting the mask allowed me to get back to sleep. I used the CPAP for eight hours.

NIGHT 2:
Last night (night two), I went to sleep feeling fine. At about the midway point of the night (5.5 hours of use), I woke up because the nose cushion started to sharply hurt my nostril. I also felt congested in my nose and found, in some attempted sleeping positions, I felt like I could only get air through one nostril.

I have a red sore just at the lip on the outer edge of my right nostril this morning. I think there's some soreness inside, too, but can't really see inside my own nose.

I'm slightly congested this morning. I could be catching cold. It's November. I've got school aged kids. There's some stress.

The sore and the congestion could be unrelated. I'm bringing both up in case it rings a bell for anyone who says they may have something in common.

I called the DME. I can't get in until Saturday for a new mask fitting, and today is Wednesday. Not much help.

I've emailed my doctor for his advice. He's responsive, but it's only been about ten minutes. You guys may be quicker. Smile

I have some allergies. Since the apnea diagnosis, I've resumed taking allergy pills just to try to lighten the load on my system, but what symptoms I have are not severe enough that I have taken pills to try to address them for several years. I am taking the generic form of Zyrtec now.

I washed the nasal cushion (the small part that pops off the mask) with the same gentle cleanser I use on my face between uses. I couldn't unfasten the headgear due to my arthritis (worse in the morning) but I did kind of wipe off the rest of the plastic face parts with between uses. I didn't undo or wash the hoses.

I haven't tried using the humidifier yet. I have the one that clicks onto the DreamStation. I'm already feeling overheated with the mask on my face, and dislike the idea of breathing warmer, moister air, but I could see the congestion being eased by it and may try that tonight if the doctor says I should put on the mask over the sore.

(If the sore hurts enough, though, I won't wear the mask to bed. I could see ignoring discomfort, but not full fledged pain.)

I saw the suggestion to use Lansinoh or barrier cream in another post. I've asked my doctor's advice about that. Even at 40-something, my face still breaks out around my nose and mouth if I apply moisturizers, so I'm reluctant to go this route if there is any other option.

Happy to hear from those of you with advice!

Thanks again,
--willo

I think I got it into the UserCP properly, but I've got:
* DreamStation Auto CPAP
* Nuance Pro Gel Pillows Mask, w/HGR, DOM ~ small cushion installed
  (but the DME took away my extra cushions before I joined this forum and learned to demand them!)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 2nd Night: painful red sore on nostril & new congestion
Allergies and CPAP do not mix well, for me anyway. Cats and bayberry are my downfall. I started shots and CPAP at the same time and my progress for both followed similar paths. Don’t know if there is any direct correlation but both doctors agree that one can affect the other. Adjusting humidity might help for congestion but the shots fixed my congestion problems.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Forgot to address the nasal pillow. DME sent me home with a small and got a sore nose immediately. Tried a medium and it improved. Finally went to a large and the problem went away completely. 

The mask should fit properly and be comfortable. Don’t settle for an improper fitting mask.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Also you may find lansinoh cream availiable in the nursing mother section of you local store it is good for treating a sore nose from a nasal mask a small dab will help the skin heal and won’t react with the silicone
Post Reply Post Reply
Same here. Just started a couple of weeks ago and had the same sore feeling on my nose during the first week or so. I found a layer of paw paw ointment around the contact patch to be quite helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the hints here.
I have a sore on my right nostril too; it's been there a long while.
I'll look for the recommended gel to see if it's available here in Canada (Toronto)
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a new CPAP user and have now had my first two nights on the machine. I'm finding the same problem with the F30 mask: I wake with a sore nose.   There's no redness, just a kind of a dull ache.  I will give the lanolin idea a go.

I like the F30 because it allows me to wear reading glasses but it's not as comfortable as the Resmed Quattro Air which was used on my titration sleep test.  Unfortunately this mask has been replaced by the F30 and is now discontinued.
Post Reply Post Reply
The amara view is similar to the f30. It may work better for you. I use the AirFit F20. It's very comfortable and many here like it. You can't, however, wear glasses with it.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Melman.  I'm still in my 14 day trial/return period for the F30.  I will give it a few more nights and then consider trialling the amara if things don't improve.

Being able to read was a selling point but, to be honest, so far I don't put the mask on until I'm ready to turn the light off.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm nearing 1 yr. of SA Therapy. I've only used two masks so far. They are the AirFit F20 and the AirFit F30. No congestion issues or problems at all. Occasionally though, I will get a sore spot from contact from the mask. Either the mask itself, or from a strap on the headgear. 

Within a few days, the sore spot disappears and I'm good from that point on. This has only occurred maybe 5-6 times so far. I expected this and it's not a big deal for me. My skin adapts rather quickly when irritated. Rarely do I get a sore spot in the same location. 

Anyways, that's about all I have to deal with when it comes to contact irritation from my mask or straps. The longer I'm at it, the less issues crop up.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [CPAP] Can't get to the bottom of my congestion. Yeliad 3 212 04-16-2024, 10:54 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 162 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 477 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 431 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  Do wedged pillows alleviate nasal congestion? NoddingHacker 1 405 12-07-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New to Bleep Eclipse and caused a sore Kathy14225 5 1,026 10-31-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Nose Pillow with congestion SleepSundogSleep 3 605 10-02-2023, 04:29 PM
Last Post: SleepSundogSleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.