Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

2nd Night with Aircurve 10 ASV
RE: 2nd Night with Aircurve 10 ASV
Hi Asjb,

I would like to see a roughly 10 minute clip at 4:14 when you had those "events. It would be easier to see the nature of the events if we could see some more detail. Your machine is "working hard" which is what it does when you stop (Central Apnea) or slow down significantly (Periodic Breathing). The clusters of pressure spikes would have been coded as CA or H with a non ASV machine.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Rich - This is my first effort at linking an image on imgur so we'll see how it goes. 10 minute clip at 4:14

[img][Image: XZhsGNwt.png][/img]
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2016, 09:52 PM)marose1 Wrote: Rich - This is my first effort at linking an image on imgur so we'll see how it goes. 10 minute clip at 4:14

Hi marose1,

Can you show the same chart, except adjust the vertical scale on the Flow waveform so full scale is -75 to +75?

We don't need to see the peaks of the Flow waveform. More important to be able to see the fine detail, with our normal in/out breathing pattern filling about half the range of the vertical scale.

These apneas and hypopneas are predominantly obstructive.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2016, 08:15 PM)richb Wrote: Hi Asjb,

I would like to see a roughly 10 minute clip at 4:14 when you had those "events. It would be easier to see the nature of the events if we could see some more detail. Your machine is "working hard" which is what it does when you stop (Central Apnea) or slow down significantly (Periodic Breathing). The clusters of pressure spikes would have been coded as CA or H with a non ASV machine.

Rich

Hello Rich. I'm confused... You didn't mean me, asjb, did you?

As far as I know I was fine at 04:14 hrs!

best wishes

.............................................................................................
My current pressures: Auto-ASV. EPAP 11-14. PS 3-10

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2016, 04:01 AM)Asjb Wrote:
(03-26-2016, 08:15 PM)richb Wrote: Hi Asjb,

Rich

Hello Rich. I'm confused... You didn't mean me, asjb, did you?

As far as I know I was fine at 04:14 hrs!

best wishes

.............................................................................................
Sorry. I meant marose1.
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply

Quote DeepBreathing: I don't think your machine reports periodic breathing. I believe that Resmed's position is that the Pacewave algorithm completely eliminates central aneas and PB, hence there is no need to report it.

Quote asjb: Yes, that's interesting. And maybe a little over-confident of Resmed. I have occasional nights …..with runs of apnoeas and hypos that are clearly a form of 'periodic breathing'.

Quote Vsheline: Hi Asjb, Actually, the occasional clusters of apneas and hypopneas in the data you've posted on Apnea Board from your ASV machine have, I think, all been obstructive in type.

I think by definition Periodic Breathing and CSR are breathing patterns which are caused by our central nervous system. Meaning, to be properly identified as being PB or CSR I think these must be central events rather than obstructive events.

It is possible for a central apnea to transition into an obstructive apnea, starting as a central apnea but ending as an obstructive apnea. However, if memory serves, the apneas in the data you've posted appeared to me to be purely obstructive. (end quote)

Hello Vsheline,

Referring to a different thread -
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ngs-please

- another member answered my query about these bouts of events I have with ASV (and also when I was on CPAP/APAP). He commented:

Quote: <The period you zoom into on the chart is a periodic breathing pattern with hypopnea terminating in recovery breathing with an interval of a minute to 1-1/2 minutes>.

When I used APAP, the Airsense used usually to highlight identical events as <Cheyne Stokes> (or 'Periodic breathing' as many people on the forum refer to them). In this earlier thread you continued to describe them as <clusters of events>.

There are quite a lot of published references that say similar to <It is now known that periodic breathing generally occurs during sleep, that it may occur in healthy persons, and that the apnea is usually central rather than obstructive However, periodic breathing can also be associated with obstructive apnea.>

So, perhaps we should stop using the phrase 'periodic breathing' and use instead your term 'clusters of events' (unless of course the flow waves clearly show true Cheyne-Stokes) ?

best wishes,
asjb
……………………………………………………………………........................................
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2016, 09:52 PM)marose1 Wrote: Rich - This is my first effort at linking an image on imgur so we'll see how it goes. 10 minute clip at 4:14

The waveform at 4:15.30 has the rounded shape of periodic breathing. The rest appear to be obstructive events.

Rich

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2016, 06:12 AM)richb Wrote:

The waveform at 4:15.30 has the rounded shape of periodic breathing. The rest appear to be obstructive events.

Rich

Hi Rich,

I think all the apneas and hypopneas shown are primarily obstructive.

Although the Mask Pressure pattern around 4:15:30 has a mostly rounded envelope, to me it looks like the Flow is not responding to changes in Pressure Support in the way the Flow would be responding during a purely central event.

As the Pressure Support changes (for example, as the IPAP pressure level used during inhalation is boosted higher and higher while the EPAP pressure level used during exhalation remains unchanged) the Flow does not seem to be responding proportionately to the increases and decreases in Pressure Support. This makes me think an interaction between partial obstruction and breathing effort is the dominant influence on the Flow, more than the increases and decreases in Pressure Support.

I suggest it would be a lot easier interpret the Flow waveform if it's vertical scale is adjusted to be more zoomed in, until the peak-to-peak range of the Flow waveform during a normal breath would fill about half of the displayed vertical range.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2016, 06:08 AM)Asjb Wrote: Quote DeepBreathing: I don't think your machine reports periodic breathing. I believe that Resmed's position is that the Pacewave algorithm completely eliminates central aneas and PB, hence there is no need to report it.

Quote asjb: Yes, that's interesting. And maybe a little over-confident of Resmed. I have occasional nights …..with runs of apnoeas and hypos that are clearly a form of 'periodic breathing'.

Quote Vsheline: Hi Asjb, Actually, the occasional clusters of apneas and hypopneas in the data you've posted on Apnea Board from your ASV machine have, I think, all been obstructive in type.

I think by definition Periodic Breathing and CSR are breathing patterns which are caused by our central nervous system. Meaning, to be properly identified as being PB or CSR I think these must be central events rather than obstructive events.

It is possible for a central apnea to transition into an obstructive apnea, starting as a central apnea but ending as an obstructive apnea. However, if memory serves, the apneas in the data you've posted appeared to me to be purely obstructive. (end quote)

Hello Vsheline,

Referring to a different thread -
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ngs-please

- another member answered my query about these bouts of events I have with ASV (and also when I was on CPAP/APAP). He commented:

Quote: <The period you zoom into on the chart is a periodic breathing pattern with hypopnea terminating in recovery breathing with an interval of a minute to 1-1/2 minutes>.

When I used APAP, the Airsense used usually to highlight identical events as <Cheyne Stokes> (or 'Periodic breathing' as many people on the forum refer to them). In this earlier thread you continued to describe them as <clusters of events>.

There are quite a lot of published references that say similar to <It is now known that periodic breathing generally occurs during sleep, that it may occur in healthy persons, and that the apnea is usually central rather than obstructive However, periodic breathing can also be associated with obstructive apnea.>

So, perhaps we should stop using the phrase 'periodic breathing' and use instead your term 'clusters of events' (unless of course the flow waves clearly show true Cheyne-Stokes) ?

best wishes,
asjb
……………………………………………………………………........................................

Periodic breathing is a real phenomena. It is characterized by a falling then rising wave pattern. Periodic Breathing is one of the most common features of Idiopathic Central Apnea. It is also found in those suffering from High Altitude Sickness. Traditional CPAP machines can convert episodes of Periodic Breathing into full blown Central Apnea events. It is often difficult to differentiate between the causes of Hypopneas. Most are Obstructive in nature. Some, however, are Periodic Breathing. Traditional CPAP machines deal poorly with Periodic Breathing often converting to what looks like Chain-Stokes breathing. This failure of traditional CPAP machines is actually diagnostic for Central Apnea. For those with Complex Apnea finding a pressure setting that controls Obstructive events while not making the Periodic Breathing worse is an issue. Sometimes settings that are high enough to convert Periodic Breathing into Central Events is unavoidable. The good news is that ASV machines can deal with just about all Central and Periodic Breathing events.

Rich

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Here's my story: Severe Sleep Apnea OSA/CSA/CSR Epworth Sleepiness Scale: 24
Arousal Index: 92.4 per hour, AHI Index: 80.5 per hour, Periodic Limb Movement Index: 43.8 per hour... I lived this way for more than 20 years and suffered a heart attack due to non-compliance when I unknowingly removed the full face mask while sleeping and stopped breathing long enough to suffer a Vaso-Spasm.  I battled my Pneumologist for years prior to the heart attack because having tried everything on the book I still was unable to sleep.  I actually stopped treatment with him and started from scratch with a new doctor; his approach was brilliant instead of the patient struggling to adapt to the machine why not try a machine that adapts to the patients needs?. The ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV Auto Mode was his suggestion to tackle as aggressively as possible my ordeal and the results after my first weeks of treatment speak for themselves: a MyAir score of over 90 steady for the past two weeks with the lowest being 1.3 events per hour no Periodic Limb Movement and almost no Snoring. I have noticed regarding your settings that the device in Auto Mode encourages your own breathing to take place and your lowest pressure being 0 is a problem as far as keeping upper airway patent if you can tweak your settings it is what I would suggest. The maximum lowest pressure the machine allows is 6.0 cm2 H20 so it's very hard to go wrong changing the pressure in Auto ASV. You're on the right track... God Bless Sleep Apnea Patients!!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 298 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,511 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 207 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,243 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 88 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,356 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.