Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

2nd Night
2nd Night
Ok, so my second night wasn't as good as the first. My API was 9.76. If I take off the first hour (over 8 hours sleep) it drops down to 7.41. Lots of CAs. Could having soda at dinner have contributed to the higher numbers? I noticed when I was trying to fall asleep I would catch myself not breathing and jolt back awake.

The central 6 hours of sleep yielded a 5.83. So quite a bit was happening on the beginning and end, but mostly on the beginning. Maybe I should drop any caffeine after the morning?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 2nd Night
Stay the course another week and get a good data run.
Then we can look at it to see if you need to nudge the pressure up.
I personally can't stand LESS than about 7 on the LOW side.
4cm usually does not flush out enough CO2 that backs up in the hose. (2 cents)
(Probably why your AHI is still too high)

Then I shoot for a spread of 4cm between the High limit and low limit.
For you that would be 7cm(low)-11cm(high) and the machine will float you around the optimal pressure setting that way.
You can try this NEXT WEEK. (its not a radical move, can't hurt yourself and you might benifit from a bit more cm)

Formost:
You have to be your own lab rat here so
Only make one change at a time and then go a week or two and observe the effect.
That's how you get things dailed in.

Cheers and Good Luck!

Sleep-well
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still learning here, so I have no advice for you, other than one thing that popped out at me: the caffeine. I always stop drinking my coffee by noon. I cannot sleep otherwise.
I don't know how that would relate to your not breathing, however. that sounds scary.

Post Reply Post Reply
I drink ice tea all day but stick with coffee only in morning and not within 8 hours of nap times.
caffeine will keep you jazzed up for as much at 8 hrs.

Your mileage may vary.

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
An ant fart from another country could have caused it. People have random nights for no known reason. This is why it is suggested to look at weekly averages, rather than night by night.

After all these years for me, I simply get good and bad nights randomly.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Let it settle, learn to just SLEEP with the mask which includes going to sleep expeditiously once you lie down with it.

Events that occur while falling asleep (or waking up) may be irrelevant or not even true events so once you get a week of numbers it may make more sense to analyze WHAT is happening during those events.

Since you are apparently keeping the mask on all night AND getting 8 hours sleep you are doing FANTASTIC for the first night.

A lot of people have significant trouble just sleeping with the mask at the start (I didn't but it's a very common issue for people new to CPAP.)

Also, note how you feel in the morning and throughout the day but be aware that EVEN after you get "effective treatment" many people take weeks to months to actually FEEL better. Not just a few but quite a lot.

On the other hand, some people experience immediate, positive, and clear cut improvements.

Everyone is different but there are some clear trends.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies! I will cut out all caffeine after the morning coffee. I need to do this anyway. From time to time I do have these horrible nights where I will start to fall asleep and wake up in a full gasp for air, sorta like coming up out of the water after being under too long. These episodes will last for up to 30-45 mins. I finally fall asleep, but it is scary. Last night was one of those nights I guess. I know for a fact that I have had Apnea for at least 18 years because my wife used to wake me up when we were first married because I would stop breathing. So, I guess I do have to give my body time to adjust and heal.

One question: If I start adjusting on my machine myself, will it affect my relationship with my doctor and subsequently affect my insurance? I believe we know more about our health than anyone else, but I can't afford a machine myself just yet.

Thanks all...

Post Reply Post Reply
Speaking for myself (and I love my sleep Doc), he likes it when a patient takes an active roll, he just wants a phone call so he can add it to his notes.

Sadly, DMEs and most Doc really just look at 'compliance' and call it done. I just switched to Medicare, and had to do a 30 day compliance report (after all these years on CPAP) - and they actually pull a report that *only* reports hours of use per day - no other data.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
The only thing that sort of concerns me about your numbers last night is your CA's. It's not alarming, but it will be nice to see them come down some. I think they probably will on their own accord, but I would be reluctant to increase your max pressure until that happens. The min pressure is another matter. I think if it were me, I would increase the min to 6 but leave the max at 9 for a few days.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't worry about one night. You can get lots of apneas being scored while half asleep (either at the beginning or end of the night) - and many of them will show up as CAs. As others have mentioned, just keep getting used to the machine. If most nights continue to look like last night, then you might want to consider some changes - but give it a couple of weeks. I would not change anything based on the first 2 nights to use CPAP unless it feels like you are having a hard time breathing (too little or too much air).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 849 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 897 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,109 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,340 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,234 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Here is my data from 3rd night and Friday night slingshot383 16 2,252 05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: slingshot383
Question One night AHI 0, next night leaks and high AHI. MyronH 7 2,201 09-29-2018, 09:29 AM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.