Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

2nd go around as a hose head
RE: 2nd go around as a hose head
(06-04-2014, 09:02 AM)jhurlbut Wrote: Both nights my AHI was 0.0. In comparison on my sleep study it was 46. My question is this: Can Cpap therapy REALLY be that effective that quickly? Or is my machine just not detecting my events properly?

It's possible that you had a 0.0 AHI, but like you I'm suspicious. I don't know that much about ResMed machines, but is it possible that the machine has been set by the clinic to not report the AHI to the patient? If so, you can go into the clinician's menu and change that setting.

I'm guessing that you needed a much higher pressure when you weighed more and that's why they gave you a BiPAP. Now that you weigh less you may not need as high a pressure, and that could be a major reason why you now find CPAP therapy more comfortable.

Quote:I still have severe OSA and I've been rushing everything to get my new machine so I have a good chunk of data to send to the FAA later this month.

Likely all they'll want to see is that you're using the machine more than four hours per night.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jhurlbut,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Better luck to you this time around on being a hosehead, sounds like you have quite a story.
I also wish you good luck on getting your pilot license.
Hang in there for more responses to your post
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2014, 02:14 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi jhurlbut,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Better luck to you this time around on being a hosehead, sounds like you have quite a story.
I also wish you good luck on getting your pilot license.
Hang in there for more responses to your post

Thank you!!
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, I think the machine is actually reporting accurately. Yesterday diamaunt was kind enough to PM me and I sent him my data card results all zipped up and he reviewed them in Sleepyhead and didn't think I had any events all night. There were three or four that looked like this:

[Image: event.jpg]

But according to him they aren't of sufficient length (6s) to be considered an "event".

I also unplugged my machine for a few hours yesterday and plugged it back in around noon to reboot it.

This morning I woke up and my AHI was 0.2. So I'll download again today to see what I see in Sleepyhead, but I think I'm going to assume the machine is doing what it's supposed to.

I'm amazed that it could reduce me from 46 on my sleep study to near zero, but hey, I'll take it!
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes that could be the beginning of an event. It just failed to last long enough to be counted. But also yes your true ahi could be zero. All that says is the therapy is just about completely controlling your apnea. I do zero about 3 days in 7, the rest of the time I float around .8 or so. I'm lovin' the livin'!

Post Reply Post Reply
I am definitely not an expert, since I hardly ever get to see a flow rate graph but isn't this plateau on the wrong side of the peak to be an obstructive apnea even if it lasted long enough. Would that make it a central if it lasted long enough to be scored?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2014, 10:27 AM)PaytonA Wrote: I am definitely not an expert, since I hardly ever get to see a flow rate graph but isn't this plateau on the wrong side of the peak to be an obstructive apnea even if it lasted long enough. Would that make it a central if it lasted long enough to be scored?

The peak is not relevant. If the plateau lasts for 10 seconds or more then clinically it's considered an event.

The type of event depends on how low the plateau is and whether or not the airway was open.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2014, 10:27 AM)PaytonA Wrote: I am definitely not an expert, since I hardly ever get to see a flow rate graph but isn't this plateau on the wrong side of the peak to be an obstructive apnea even if it lasted long enough. Would that make it a central if it lasted long enough to be scored?

the S9 units pulse the airstream when they see you've stopped breathing, they then measure the changes in pressure.

if there's a very small change in pressure then they figure the airway is open and the lungs are absorbing the pressure pulses, but if the airway is blocked, then you get bigger spikes in pressure. that's how the machines determine if it's a central or obstructive.

you can see the pressure pulses in the blue 'mask pressure' line on the chart above. the squiggles towards the end of the event are the machine trying to determine why the breathing stopped. based on what I've seen in my machine, that looks like enough variance in the mask pressure for it to think it would have been an OA, not a CA. open airway apneas tend to have a very small wiggle line.

does that answer the question?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2014, 08:44 AM)jhurlbut Wrote: But according to him they aren't of sufficient length (6s) to be considered an "event".

well, that was my *guess* Smile overall, you had a very boring sleep graph... (this is a good thing, I wish mine were that boring and regular Big Grin )

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2014, 11:49 AM)diamaunt Wrote: well, that was my *guess* Smile overall, you had a very boring sleep graph... (this is a good thing, I wish mine were that boring and regular Big Grin )

And I do again really appreciate the help!! I had two events last night, I was kind of excited about it. Weird I know. One really didn't look like an event at all the other definitely could have been, but it was right before I got up so it may have also just been me messing around with my mask too?? Who knows?? Just glad that my machine DOES report things!!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 578 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 638 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.