Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

3/4 Prone Sleeping Position - Best Mask?
3/4 Prone Sleeping Position - Best Mask?
So I would always describe myself as a side sleeper until I actually realized where I actually sleep in the 3/4 prone position (on side, but upper leg bent, bottom leg straight, face semi smashed into pillow).

I currently have the Airfit P30i and find I get a minor mask leak in this position and the leaks usually wake me up and is giving not great sleeps.

I'm thinking I might need a full face as well because I'm finding if I ever get into a deep sleep I'll end up mouth breathing.

Can anyone recommend a mask that can keep a good seal with some side pressure on the mask? My local provider seems to only really carry ResMed so a mask from them is preferable.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 3/4 Prone Sleeping Position - Best Mask?
I don't know of any mask that isn't going to move with your face "semi smashed" into a pillow.  As you have discovered, even a small leak from mask movements can be disruptive to sleep.  

Many of us have had to adjust our sleeping positions since we've started Cpap.  The best position you should try to adapt (since you sleep somewhat on your side) is to keep your head also to the side with the mask portion or most of your face hanging off the side of your pillow.  

Maybe others who sleep semi prone can offer some tips.  Good luck!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing you might try is a special pillow. You can find them online called "CPAP pillow" although the term means several different things. The one you want is the one with the lower corners cut off or scooped away. That way there's room for your mask even though your head is on its side / smashed into the pillow. I've attached a photo of one to illustrate the idea; they come in different shapes.

As for masks.. I sleep entirely on my side (mostly without a special pillow). I found the F20 full face mask did OK even on my side, the way the mask covers the top of your nose means that shifting it to the side a bit doesn't compromise the seal. The F30i isn't quite as good; the under-the-nose design doesn't work as well when smashed into a pillow. It tends to create a gap between the nose and the mask and the air escapes up, into my eyes, and that's super uncomfortable. I use this mask every night and it works for me, one accommodation I've made is to wear the mask up higher so it barely covers my lower lip. That seems to help stop the gapping around the nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am now a fully dedicated side sleeper and use the special CPAP pillow illustrated above.  It works for me.   I use the P30i and sometimes the N30i and my leaks are minimal...not fully eliminated.   Last night I used the F30i, along with Somnifix tape as I'm a mouth breather, and that mask leaked like crazy.  I wouldn't recommend it for side sleeping.  Most likely I'll return to the P30i as it's the most comfortable and works well.

You can see my stats for the month.  All the days prior to the last one are with the P30i, except for August 4th...that was with the F&P Simplus mask...another leaky mask for me.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2021, 09:12 AM)nightgagger Wrote: I am now a fully dedicated side sleeper and use the special CPAP pillow illustrated above.  It works for me.   I use the P30i and sometimes the N30i and my leaks are minimal...not fully eliminated.   Last night I used the F30i, along with Somnifix tape as I'm a mouth breather, and that mask leaked like crazy.  I wouldn't recommend it for side sleeping.  Most likely I'll return to the P30i as it's the most comfortable and works well.

You can see my stats for the month.  All the days prior to the last one are with the P30i, except for August 4th...that was with the F&P Simplus mask...another leaky mask for me.

Thanks for the insight. Might be a dumb question as I'm new to this CPAP world... but what's the point of mouth taping if using a full face/hybrid mask as you did with the F30i?
Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried that F30i before without mouth taping and combined with the leakage from the mask, was pretty much a disaster, and that was at a time earlier in the year when I slept supine mostly.

For the past few months, sleeping on my side and using the P30i with mouth taping and seeing the success it's brought, I thought I would experiment and use the F30i again, but with the added strip of Somnifix...it's not as an agressive tape such as the Leukoplast cover roll which I use all the time with the P30i (best tape for me).

And as indicated on my chart that I posted, when I used the Simplus mask, I wasn't using tape. FFM don't really work for me, even side sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a more graphical representation so you can see the leaks that are going on.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I sleep basically in the same position, but follow Opal Rose's advice and sleep on the edge of my small pillow.  I use a travel-size Mr Pillow with half of the stuffing removed so it is flatter.  My F20 AirTouch cushion (foam) has very few mask leaks--mostly from my mask adjustments during the night.  I have to wear it pretty tight and the pressure on my chin makes it difficult to keep my mouth closed so I do register mouth leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2021, 01:02 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: I sleep basically in the same position, but follow Opal Rose's advice and sleep on the edge of my small pillow.  I use a travel-size Mr Pillow with half of the stuffing removed so it is flatter.  My F20 AirTouch cushion (foam) has very few mask leaks--mostly from my mask adjustments during the night.  I have to wear it pretty tight and the pressure on my chin makes it difficult to keep my mouth closed so I do register mouth leaks.

Okay good info, thanks.

Question for the mouth leaks, are they still an issue even if you're using a full face mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
I should add one more thing to the reason why I used tape with the FFM at this point. 

The Somnifix tape alone doesn't really work well for me.  I tend to get leaks at the corner of my mouth.  Plus I've been trying to train my tongue to sit at the roof of my mouth for the past few months.  Sometimes I'll nap and not use tape at all, and can hold my tongue to roof at least for the 1/2 hour duration of the nap. 

So basically I'm training myself to use the FFM, with minimal tape as a trainer, then hopefully can use the FFM without tape.  I'm trying to ween myself off the tape.

I might try the FFM with the Somnifix again tonight..and see if I can hang with it for the rest of the week, unless the leaks get out of hand, then I'll revert back to the pillow mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Head position optimization apneavolt 9 249 04-12-2024, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 160 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 610 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 1,072 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 990 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 278 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 311 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.