Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

3 MONTHS IN AND STILL HAVING TROUBLE WITH COMPLIANCE.
Gross 
3 MONTHS IN AND STILL HAVING TROUBLE WITH COMPLIANCE.
I have noticed that when I roll onto my side that I am getting large leaks from my mask. I have a ResMed P10 nasal pillow mask. I also noticed that my mouth is filling with air and I open my mouth to expel it. I don't understand why the air is in my mouth. The pressure is set fairly low at 9.00. I am so tired when I wake up because I have been taking the mask off because of these issues. Does any one have a suggestion for a better nasal pillow mask or should I try something different like a nasal mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 3 MONTHS IN AND STILL HAVING TROUBLE WITH COMPLIANCE.
If you haven't adjusted to the P10 in three months, it may be time to try a different mask.
The only thing you can do with the P10 is try a different size nasal pillow....go up in size or down in size.

If you are waking up to air coming out of your mouth, then it is because you are mouth breathing. You can try a chin strap, or try placing your tongue to the roof of your mouth. This creates a seal in the back of your throat and doesn't let air escape. It takes practice but it does work.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had similar issues with my P10, I am also an active sleeper. I prefer the Respironics Nuance, or the F&P Pilario Q; both have more secure headgear than the P10.

However, I finally settled on a nasal mask as better for me, and use and like my Respironics WISP. I can regularly wear this for 8 or 9 hours without leaks or other irritation.

Masks are very personal preferences, though, so take any review and recommendations with a grain of salt. If you are having compliance issues, I would hope your DME would be willing to work with you to find a better mask. Mine was.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
I am just starting to try out the P10, before this I used a full face mask (FFM), the Simplus. I used to get large leaks, but with the P10 I have only had one in 4 nights. I do have a beard, but that was not causing the leaks.

Have you tried a chin strap? Why don't you want to try a FFM? As they are made for this.

You can breathe through your mouth or nose. This means that both your nose and mouth are connected in the back, so air from the nose can exit from the mouth or puff up the cheeks. You can close off this path by moving your tongue up to the roof of your mouth in the back and then the air can't get into your mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2015, 03:49 PM)OpalRose Wrote: If you are waking up to air coming out of your mouth, then it is because you are mouth breathing. You can try a chin strap, or try placing your tongue to the roof of your mouth. This creates a seal in the back of your throat and doesn't let air escape. It takes practice but it does work.

While doing this might sound difficult, it is possible. In fact your tongue almost figures it out on its own. As OpalRose says, it takes practice.

Myself, I prefer a full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
The tongue thing works for me - took about 2 nights to practice, now it is habit. I can talk with my mask on, even.
Post Reply Post Reply
I may need to try a different nasal pillow mask to see what will work as I am due for one now. I refuse to wear a full face mask as I am really claustrophobic. I am not opening my mouth the air is seeping into my mouth and I have to blow it out. It keeps me awake.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2015, 02:14 AM)Adoniscmj Wrote: I am not opening my mouth the air is seeping into my mouth and I have to blow it out. It keeps me awake.

I understand what you're describing -- It's not mouth breathing. It's "chipmunk cheeks" -- some of the therapy air instead of going down into your airway starts filling up the inside of your mouth, and at some point you have to "puff" it out of your mouth. Then the whole cycle repeats.

The tongue trick works for me. It effectively seals off your mouth so that the therapy air is forced to stay in your airway. I was really surprised how well this trick works.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use the p10 nasal pillows. ...I am an active military sleeper (left, right, left, right) and found that buy using the edges of the pillow (the one your head is on, not the ones in your nose.) That it doesn't move the nasal pillows and the leak rate goes way down...you should try the tongue press to the roof of the mouth...and may want to try a ramp setting of 5 or so and set ramp time to 15 or 20 mins....that may help....good luck in your treatment and don't give up.
It's exactly like that. . . . only totally different. . . . Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
The funny thing is it just started happening. I have gone months with it being normal but now puffs of air, super annoying. I also have noticed that my time spent on my machine has gone down steadily. Last night I was only able to get 28 minutes in. I don't even remember why I took the mask off.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 202 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 284 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,862 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,644 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Going nowhere with ASV after 3 months CaliforniaDreamer 20 484 03-08-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 290 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.