Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

3 Machines (Trial) and I have to keep one!
RE: 3 Machines (Trial) and I have to keep one!
If I was going to criticise the university study, with funding by resmed. It would be that they used the default settings of each machine. As we know, starting off on 4cm doesn't provide the best treatment, but sadly it is what most people are given.

Anyone would think they were betting on a sure thing Smile They may have already known their machine is more responsive, something we see that here on a regular basis.
If there were any falsification, the other manufacturers would be up in arms, they aren't. They would be well aware of what their machines do hooked up in a lab, as they would run these tests themselves.

this is the parameters of the test and it has been done previously in 2002 with other earlier models
http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/full/10.1...11050#_i11
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
With any machine, the most positive treatment is using the machine in the first place.
I was asked to talk to someone that was having problems with his machine ans was still very tired.
So I spoke to him just asking no real questions that put him under pressure.
He was concerned he would loose his driving licence, which can happen here in the UK.
I was just asking about his equipment and what sort of mask he was using and where he had the machine mounted.
After he relaxed a bit I was just saying that I didn't listen to them where to put the machine, down on the floor was not the best place for dust and bugs.
He said, he always put his up on the cabinet at the side of his bed.
Then came the statement "I can't stand the bloody thing, it make a noise and I can't sleep for it!"
What I do is use it for a couple of hours then turn if off, then when I come home at night I go uo and turn it on and run it so they thing I am using it".
I told him it is not much wonder he was tired, he was not using the machine, he needed to use it every night and if he had a problem, to ask them out there for help.  He said they were just bullies and wouldn't listen to what he was saying, he couldn't use it.
After a while I got him a long hose, a new mask that actually fitted (A full faced one) and made sure he knew what he had to do to use it.
This was n the old days when all the machine told you was the amount of hours the machine ran.
Anyway, I found out he was an HGV (Truck) driver and was terrified he would loose his licence.
After I helped him he started using the machine every night and although he did loose his licence for a while (he was to late in getting help) he did get a job in the yard until he got his licence back.  I told the clinic (there was an old doctor who did listen to people at that time) just a nurse these days who thinks she is God!  So when I told him he had to see if the guy improved and to make sure if he was feeling a lot better to make sure he backed the guy up in getting his licence back.  The doctor was as good as his word and he was back driving in around nine months, this is when they were not giving people their licences back for trucks and buses.  It has changed now and it is a lot easier to get it back if you follow the treatment.
With a little help and a bit of time (and a few phone calls from him at night!) we were able to get him using the machine.
As soon as a better machine became available he got one, but by this time he was so used to the old machine he complained.
But they had to say to him that they had to see how his treatment was going so he could keep his licence and if anything happened on the road they could show he was compliant with treatment.  Not seen or heard of him for years, but I have s]moved house and so has he a few times.
Data protection in this country would prevent me from finding out where he is now, be ok with the old staff, but the new staff is all by the book.

So no mater what machine you use, use it, some might be better for some people, others might be better for some, I just liked the ResMed Airsense10 because it was small and better to get on with, but it might not be someone else's preferences.
If we were all the same if would be a strange word and a bit creepy to be honest!   Thinking-about
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2017, 12:07 PM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: With any machine, the most positive treatment is using the machine in the first place.
I was asked to talk to someone that was having problems with his machine ans was still very tired.
So I spoke to him just asking no real questions that put him under pressure.
He was concerned he would loose his driving licence, which can happen here in the UK.
I was just asking about his equipment and what sort of mask he was using and where he had the machine mounted.
After he relaxed a bit I was just saying that I didn't listen to them where to put the machine, down on the floor was not the best place for dust and bugs.
He said, he always put his up on the cabinet at the side of his bed.
Then came the statement "I can't stand the bloody thing, it make a noise and I can't sleep for it!"
What I do is use it for a couple of hours then turn if off, then when I come home at night I go uo and turn it on and run it so they thing I am using it".
I told him it is not much wonder he was tired, he was not using the machine, he needed to use it every night and if he had a problem, to ask them out there for help.  He said they were just bullies and wouldn't listen to what he was saying, he couldn't use it.
After a while I got him a long hose, a new mask that actually fitted (A full faced one) and made sure he knew what he had to do to use it.
This was n the old days when all the machine told you was the amount of hours the machine ran.
Anyway, I found out he was an HGV (Truck) driver and was terrified he would loose his licence.
After I helped him he started using the machine every night and although he did loose his licence for a while (he was to late in getting help) he did get a job in the yard until he got his licence back.  I told the clinic (there was an old doctor who did listen to people at that time) just a nurse these days who thinks she is God!  So when I told him he had to see if the guy improved and to make sure if he was feeling a lot better to make sure he backed the guy up in getting his licence back.  The doctor was as good as his word and he was back driving in around nine months, this is when they were not giving people their licences back for trucks and buses.  It has changed now and it is a lot easier to get it back if you follow the treatment.
With a little help and a bit of time (and a few phone calls from him at night!) we were able to get him using the machine.
As soon as a better machine became available he got one, but by this time he was so used to the old machine he complained.
But they had to say to him that they had to see how his treatment was going so he could keep his licence and if anything happened on the road they could show he was compliant with treatment.  Not seen or heard of him for years, but I have s]moved house and so has he a few times.
Data protection in this country would prevent me from finding out where he is now, be ok with the old staff, but the new staff is all by the book.

So no mater what machine you use, use it, some might be better for some people, others might be better for some, I just liked the ResMed Airsense10 because it was small and better to get on with, but it might not be someone else's preferences.
If we were all the same if would be a strange word and a bit creepy to be honest!   Thinking-about
Bravo for taking the time to help the poor guy  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Just got my Airsense 10 Auto yesterday as a replacement for my 16 yr old unit and last night went well... love this unit! It even proved my sleep dr lied to me, saying I had sever apnea ... my old machine pressure was set at 20 - But the Auto 10 indicated a high  pressure of 11.5 and only 3 incidents/ hour. Yes, this unit is the bees knees!
Post Reply Post Reply
Be sure to change your profile from the S6 and download OSCAR to leverage all the new Dara capabilities of your new machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was lucky! When I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, my sleep doc ordered a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for me. I didn't know squat about CPAP stuff. 

It wasn't until I became a member of this forum, that I came to realize how lucky I was to get the machine I got. Now that I have been enlightened, I'm in charge of my own destiny.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
If you became enlightened after you came here, we must be slipping somewhere. That's not supposed to happen.

Eat-popcorn
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
More-times-than-not, I'm very enlightenable.  Big Grin

If enlightenable isn't a real word.....it needs to be.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
I know the very "pro ResMed" opinions held by some here.. and I was on the verge of giving up on my Dreamstation and switching brands given my rising AHI over the last 6 months or so.

However with the guidance of Sleeprider, SarcasticDave, and others as well, I now have the Dreamstation working better than ever for my needs. 
(even though they were suggesting I switch in the end as I wasn't making headway with the multiple changes in settings, but then everything fell in to place for me)

A change to a ResMed AirFit F20 full face mask, and taking the time to understand and trial the various combinations of setting has seen success with the Dreamstation.

I'm now at the lowest averages I've ever had since starting CPAP 4 years ago.. previously the best I had averaged was a little over 1.3 AHI over a 30 day period, and maybe 3 to 4 hours before waking and then struggling to go back to sleep.
Now I'm down to 0.6 AHI and sleeping at least 6.5 hours, and can easily go back to sleep for another hour and a half to two hours.

It comes down to working out the best settings, and what is most comfortable for you as an individual, to use.
For me the Dreamstation has the advantage of running directly off 12 volts when I'm away in our campervan or camping on my motorcycle.
Also with the new ResMed mask it is now even quieter than it previously was.

I hope you make good progress on your journey ahead.  Coffee
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the follow-up. Small changes can add up to good results, and I think you were mostly held back by a third party intervening in your decision making.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 73 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,177 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 672 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 498 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 595 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines britincanada 505 83,123 11-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Angry [Equipment] KILLER STORY ON PHILLIPS CPAP MACHINES srlevine1 10 2,018 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.