Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

3 Month Review
RE: 3 Month Review
(01-03-2022, 05:52 AM)Ratchick Wrote: You could try pushing your EPR to 3... that might help squash the flow restrictions. That's about the only thing I could think of really. You look to be averaging at a pressure of around 7.5 or so, and you're not maxing out, so there's no reason to alter the max right now, though if you really wanted, you could increase your min pressure to 7.2 or 7.4. The centrals at the start of your historical data I'm guessing were just treatment-emergent while you got used to the extra ventilation at night. However, this is generally a good looking chart. If you're a little prone to them, you may see some more with the EPR on 3, but I'd give it a few days and see what happens, personally. You ought to switch the ramp off as well, if you can tolerate that. It's set to 20 minutes so that means every time you restart the machine, you're losing 20 minutes of therapy. So on your chart, you lost an hour of therapy time.

It can be really easy to assume there'll be a magical fix but sometimes that just isn't the case, especially if you have other things that might be contributing, like frequent waking from non-CPAP/Apnea sources etc. Also, some medications won't help either. How often are you napping, and for how long? Sometimes just improving your sleep hygiene a little can make big differences. Do you know what kind of things are waking you?

For me, the biggest help has always been the headaches. Before I started, I would get 1-2 migraines a week, which probably doesn't sound so bad... but they would last 3 days at a pop and I couldn't even keep water down as I was throwing up every 10-20 minutes. Utter misery. And even between those, I would have a headache on waking, it would take me 2 hours to fully wake up and come around... and I didn't really realise how much better I felt until the one day I fell asleep for an hour without the machine on. Then it was like night and day.

I believe I turned off the ramp but when I look at the pressure chart I still see a flat line at the beginning.  Is that just pre sleep or is the ramp still on?  It is interesting that my O2 numbers were also kind of low during that first flat pressure area.  Thanks

See attachments.

Post Reply Post Reply
No, Ramp isn't on. That's the starting pressure and nothing has pushed the pressure up right at the start of the night. But, I'm going to suggest you increase your minimum pressure a little again - maybe to 7.6 or so. If you look where that first blip upwards in your pressure happened, around 9.40 pm, that corresponds with the time your oxygen levels improved, so perhaps boosting it up that extra few notches might prevent that dip and help squish the rest of the flow restrictions. I'm not sure what was triggering those centrals, it certainly wasn't higher pressure, but for now, if we can at least keep your sats closer to 95% all night, that might help you feel a little better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2022, 01:29 PM)mcman56 Wrote: I looked up the N and P models.  The P fits into your nostrils and seals on the inside.  Does the N fit over and seal on the outside?  Does it work with facial hair?  The other issue I'm having is a sore spot on the flesh between nostrils where the nasal pillow sits.  I have been using Vaseline through out the day and it went away once but then came back.  It is not severe but irritating, sort of what you might get with a bad cold and lots of nose blowing.

I hope my experience can help you....

I had a similar experience with irritation. In my case it was on my nostril.  I ignored it; changed masks. I ended up waiting a long time. Finally I had it and another bump removed on my nose. The surgeon said, "got it all".  I should have been more careful. You can't see where the original bump was, but you sure can see where the other was removed.  

Dave
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2022, 04:18 PM)DaveL Wrote: I hope my experience can help you....

I had a similar experience with irritation. In my case it was on my nostril.  I ignored it; changed masks. I ended up waiting a long time. Finally I had it and another bump removed on my nose. The surgeon said, "got it all".  I should have been more careful. You can't see where the original bump was, but you sure can see where the other was removed.  

Dave

I'm not understanding your response.  Are you saying the mask created a potentially cancerous bump?
Post Reply Post Reply
No, I think Dave means that if you don't treat irritation, over time it can produce scar tissue and that can cause a lump. I have a small bump on my arm from repeated irritation and breaking the skin, from a bad reaction to medical adhesives. As long as you are managing any soreness, it shouldn't be an issue. It's certainly unlikely to be cancerous.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the Wisp mask caused a bump.
It got worse with time.

Did it cause "C"? Doc said that she got it all. That's all I need to know.

I changed masks as a precaution. I've used about 5 of theResMed N20's since. No bumps; no problems. I'm about to change masks again.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2022, 05:52 AM)Ratchick Wrote: You could try pushing your EPR to 3... that might help squash the flow restrictions. That's about the only thing I could think of really. You look to be averaging at a pressure of around 7.5 or so, and you're not maxing out, so there's no reason to alter the max right now, though if you really wanted, you could increase your min pressure to 7.2 or 7.4. The centrals at the start of your historical data I'm guessing were just treatment-emergent while you got used to the extra ventilation at night. However, this is generally a good looking chart. If you're a little prone to them, you may see some more with the EPR on 3, but I'd give it a few days and see what happens, personally. You ought to switch the ramp off as well, if you can tolerate that. It's set to 20 minutes so that means every time you restart the machine, you're losing 20 minutes of therapy. So on your chart, you lost an hour of therapy time.

It can be really easy to assume there'll be a magical fix but sometimes that just isn't the case, especially if you have other things that might be contributing, like frequent waking from non-CPAP/Apnea sources etc. Also, some medications won't help either. How often are you napping, and for how long? Sometimes just improving your sleep hygiene a little can make big differences. Do you know what kind of things are waking you?

For me, the biggest help has always been the headaches. Before I started, I would get 1-2 migraines a week, which probably doesn't sound so bad... but they would last 3 days at a pop and I couldn't even keep water down as I was throwing up every 10-20 minutes. Utter misery. And even between those, I would have a headache on waking, it would take me 2 hours to fully wake up and come around... and I didn't really realise how much better I felt until the one day I fell asleep for an hour without the machine on. Then it was like night and day.

Thanks for this.  I increased the min pressure from 7.2 to 7.4.  My AHI numbers have drifted down and are pretty consistently < 1 vs the previous < 2.  I had not monitored my O2 lately but the average is also up a bit from what I saw in the past, 97% vs maybe 95%.   I do feel a bit feel better. 

I requested a different mask from my provider.  They sent what they say is a new design, a Fischer & Paykel Evora Nasal Mask.  I have used it a couple of nights.  It is quite soft and even seals with facial hair so I think it will solve my irritation issue.  It does not contact the skin between nostrils.   

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  One month in and could use help RTC75321 2 154 03-20-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: RTC75321
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Treatment] Low O2 After Almost a Month of Therapy somewherein413 36 1,058 03-14-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 139 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 53,059 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 935 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.