Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

3 Months Until Sleep Study
RE: 3 Months Until Sleep Study
one way to record awakening is to turn the machine off briefly. oscar may combine sessions closer than a minute or two but you can still see the gap in the flow rate. another is to force a larger than usual leak or take a larger than usual inhale. these help when scrolling through the flow rate looking for anomalies but it can be hard to remember what you might otherwise have noted at the time about the awakening. audio and video recorders are useful.
Post Reply Post Reply
I disconnected my hose upon a wake-up last night and it worked. I had just experienced an OA. Thanks for that recommendation.

I have a question that is probably apparent to the regular person. What is the difference between the median and the 95% stats? From my understanding, the 95% stat is where you are 95% of your sleep. And the median is the average? But this confuses me because my median respiratory rate is 14 whereas the 95% rate is at 18. Seems those numbers should be closer together, no?
Post Reply Post Reply
median is close but not the same as average. average is weighted by the value of the instances averaged. median is the instance in the middle of a list. if you have a list: 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13; average is 7.22 and median is 9 or the middle value (4 instances on either side). the value in the 95th percentile column means 95% of the instances tested/listed were below that value and 5% were above that value.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!

So what would be more accurate in finding where I spend most of my night as far as respiratory rate where 14 is the median and 18 being 95%?
Post Reply Post Reply
I suppose it depends on the circumstances but most of the time I don't give much more than a passing glance at anything other than the median stats although I do look at 95% for pressure, flow limitations and I and E time.

edit: re-reading your question, I don't remember my statistics well enough to answer directly and accurately. 95% tells you that most of the night was below that number but doesn't really tell you where you were most of the time. median gives you a central value but doesn't really tell you about duration.

in any event, it's probably an unnecessary level of detail trying to distinguish between rr of 14 vs 18. it's all with a 'normal' range of 12-20 or 25 for a resting adult.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks sheepless. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep on your side? That would be the main one.’I have undiagnosed sleep apnea (5 months to go). I have Cheyne Stokes breathing during the day because of the apnea.

I heard someone did something like get a tennis ball, duck tape it (or attach to a belt) on your lower back - to one side to prevent straining your spine. When you try to roll onto your back you wake up! (still better than hypoxic wake-ups).

Do you wake up with a dry mouth? If so, it means you are mouth-breathing. The body does this as a backup (narrow nasal passages can lead to mouth breathing at night - and opening your mouth increases the likelihood of airway collapse).

Sleeping on your side is the best option for now. Also put a phone, in flight mode, with voice recorder, next to you, overnight. It will be horrific but you can hear what is going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Happy Saturday fellow Pappers!

I hope everyone is doing well today. I have a question regarding the graph attached, I have occasional centrals through the night. Just before the event occurs, it looks like I take a deep breath. Would the deep breath in conjunction with an EPR of 3 be causing a CO2 depletion causing the apnea event? I'm not overly concerned because the events are relatively brief in duration and not too frequent, just curious.

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The deep breath satisfies your respiratory needs and the pause in breathing is not consequential. Don't overthink this, you probably do it many time per day without thinking about it. I can't imagine if every time I caught myself holding my breath while concentrating or doing a task, it was recorded.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope this post finds all well...

I have been concerned about an upward trend in my AHI the past month. I went over 2 for the first time since I've been using the machine last night. The funny thing is that I actually felt I had gotten good sleep before pulling off the mask this morning and seeing the AHI number. I am still using the same nasal mask I've had since December. But I've been able to keep control the leaks still. Could it be that I need a new mask? Can someone look at my charts and see if there is anything that may be causing an uptick in CAs.

BTW... The machine shows that my pressure settings were from 9 to 12. But I dropped the min pressure down a notch to 8 to see if that would clear some of the CAs. Not sure if it was the drop, but they got worse.

Or is this something not to be too concerned with?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 72 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.