Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

3 Months Until Sleep Study
RE: 3 Months Until Sleep Study
Good Afternoon kind folks! I hope you had a great Christmas.

I wanted to report a big success last night. Things have been getting better and better since I've been on the ResMed. After running through some of these threads and watching some of The Lanky Lefty's youtube videos, I looked back at some of my OSCAR uploads and looked for a pressure I was around when I had long stretches of a good, consistent flow rate. It looked to be within 7.5 and 7.8. So last night I took the autoset off and set the pressure for 7.6. I also dropped EPR from 3 to 2. I plan on dropping again after a few days. Anyhow, I had the best night of sleep in as long as I can remember last night. Still working on my leak rate though. I tape my mouth shut only to wake up with part of it unstuck and air escaping through my mouth. Probably need a different tape. Small potatoes...

Thanks, Sleep Rider and Dave for all your input and help!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm of the mindset it matters little how you obtain the good and sought-after results, but the actual obtaining of them. I've not anything negative to say, but I'll say it this way, if you're better off for the results, run with it hard and fast.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again, Dave!

One thing of note that has been a huge blessing is that ever since I've been on cpap, my bathroom visits have been mostly once a night, if at all. No lie, It was common for me to take 4+ trips a night before this.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome and any improvement is good, more is better. Merry new year to ya
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope everyone is doing well.

A quick rundown of events and a question....

My wife started feeling sick last Wednesday. I took her to get a COVID test on Christmas eve. She had to wait until Monday to receive the results. I started feeling ill the evening after Christmas. I was almost certain it was COVID. We had already cancelled the events we had scheduled. I was correct. Her results came back positive. She hasn't had any respiratory issues, but I have been experiencing some tightness and a little burning when taking deep breaths. Nothing too bad though. So anyhow, I have found the ResMed to be extremely beneficial during this. And I didn't realize how beneficial until last night. My nose was quite stuffy last night, and the full face mask really hurts the bridge of my nose, so I went to sleep all natural last night. I woke up in the am with a dry mouth and chapped lips. My daughter told me she woke up to use the bathroom and heard me snoring loudly though a closed door. And i feel horrible today to boot.

My question. Are there techniques known within this Community that can successfully unclog nasal passageways enough to use a nasal mask? I'll use the full if a have to. But I'd really rather not.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
For the short term, Afrin gives instant, long-lasting relief. Start a course of Afrin to clear the nose, but also start Flonase once per day. You need to limit Afrin use to no more than 4-days. By the time you need to quit Afrin, the Flonase will be taking effect to reduce inflammation and it should suffice for the duration of your need. There is no rebound effect using this technique. I would have you try nasal pillows, but that is up to you. I have never used or owned a full face mask. The emergency regimen above can get you through this in terms of nasal congestion.

Please don't wait for this to get worse! Call you doctor and get some of the new therapeutics that work best before hospitalization is needed. Regeneron, Remdesivir and other therapies are now well proven and available. Good luck, and hope things don't progress further. Keep us posted.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you SR. I have not been tested but know I am positive because my wife is. I go through the VA, so I will have to see what their protocol is as in if I need a positive test myself. They told my wife to self-isolate and come in if it gets worse. It's been up and down for me. I started feeling pretty crappy Saturday night and all day Sunday. I woke up feeling much better on Monday. Then felt bad that evening. Been feeling crappy on and off today. This is the first time I've been sick with a cold or flu in about 3 years. Ever since the Lyme diagnosis, I have been taking supplements and doing other various health-conscious things to keep my immune system up. Seems it has been working as far as cold and flus are concerned... until now that is. But even now, I am faring quite a bit better than the missus. She is feeling better today. But she had a fever on and off for a bit over 3 days. I'd love to get some of these therapeutics, but not sure I can. I've been taking loads of zinc on top of the other things I do. I believe at this point rest is my best friend. I've been doing a lot of things around the house despite being ill. 

I'll see about having a friend run me some Afrin and Flonase. Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
Get the test tomorrow and call your doctors about your symptoms and your wife's positive test Ask for therapeutics! The biggest problem with this virus is that by the time you have symptoms it may progress too quickly to get tested, receive results, obtain a prescription, treat it with therapeutics and avoid hospitalization. You really need to be proactive to get ahead of this. By the time you "NEED" treatment it may too late to avoid more severe illness. Try the VA, but if you have other resources that are faster, use them. Most people simply recover, but don't take a chance.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if/how this will apply or help, but I have maybe a sinus issue, but I tend to have a not quite runny nose most of the year. I find that when my nose is clogging up that I run a Vicks Warm Mist room vaporizer with the Vicks liquid stuff in it. That opens my nose up. I'm already on a scripted concoction including Flonase for COPD.

The sarcastic response that was trying to escape was to wear the pillows mask and crank your PAP to 50, but these PAPs typically only get to 25, but some of those Philips machines do go to 30. On this sarcastic side, maybe the pillows mask has merit, the rest can be canned.

Hope you fare well (not farewell) during your illness.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2020, 09:15 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I don't know if/how this will apply or help, but I have maybe a sinus issue, but I tend to have a not quite runny nose most of the year. I find that when my nose is clogging up that I run a Vicks Warm Mist room vaporizer with the Vicks liquid stuff in it. That opens my nose up. I'm already on a scripted concoction including Flonase for COPD.

The sarcastic response that was trying to escape was to wear the pillows mask and crank your PAP to 50, but these PAPs typically only get to 25, but some of those Philips machines do go to 30. On this sarcastic side, maybe the pillows mask has merit, the rest can be canned.

Hope you fare well (not farewell) during your illness.
Lol! Thanks Dave!

I used the Afrin and Flonase last night and it worked like a charm. I like the idea of the Vicks humidifier though. I don't want to use either afrin or flonase too much. But it worked for this bind.

As far as the pillow mask is concerned,  I was actually on the verge of ordering one, but I have become very comfortable with the n20. So I figured why change something that's working. I'll give it a shot at some point.

Have a Happy New Year Dave and SR. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 216 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 73 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.