Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

3 Months Until Sleep Study
RE: 3 Months Until Sleep Study
Simple stuff first. You did have the SD in the PAP overnight? And you let the SD in long enough after sleep session so the PAP had time to write? The write protect was unlocked while the SD was in the PAP?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2021, 05:37 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Simple stuff first. You did have the SD in the PAP overnight? And you let the SD in long enough after sleep session so the PAP had time to write? The write protect was unlocked while the SD was in the PAP?

Yes. I downloaded Sleepyhead to see if I could get data through that application and it works fine. But not through OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK well whatever works to get the data is the important aspect it seems.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Friends!

I have a concern about my flow limits. I seem to have a lot of them every night. I have read a couple of conflicting things on here regarding them being an issue and wanted to get it cleared up. I am having a lot of flow limits per my charts, however, under 95% on the sidebar, I very rarely go over .02. I have read that <.02 is good at 95%. But then I have seen a graph someone posted that displayed flow limits similar to mine, with .02 at 95%. Someone posted that their flow limits were a problem.

Can someone look at my graph and give me some input on my flow limits and how to lessen them. I still tend to wake up throughout the night. I am using Sleephead because something happened with OSCAR on my PC and I can't seem to get it to work right. Anyhow, thank you. Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You'll have to decide if they're worth addressing. In other words, do they affect your rest or not?

Your 95% FL is as you say .02 and if I've got it right, this means for 95% of the time you're at .02 FL and then the other 5% you're at .23. So it's you that has to decide if that 5% is affecting you. Supposing that since you've posted the question, this means it does. Now how to address it? One is EPR 3 could be used if you're not now. From there, Min. pressure needs to go up. Now note you're in a balancing act with PAP therapy. If you go after the flow limits, you might sacrifice comfort.

So you can trial and error this, meaning bump EPR to 3 and/or min pressure up. See if it addresses the FL and note how much comfort is lost. Maybe it addresses the FL and no extra discomfort happens. OK then it's a win. Ultimately it's you that decides by trying the action, then viewing the results, and then deciding if it's worth keeping the edits.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dave!

I have been experimenting with higher pressure. I have epr on 3 full time. I can try bumping the pressure up a bit more. I do have a deviated septum and nasal issues a lot of the time. Wondering if that's the issue due to me using a nasal mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome. I'd think anything may be possible in what you can change/edit to see what it takes to gain the restful sleep status. Sure it could be pressures, but the mask could be it too.
Post Reply Post Reply
The best way to gauge the real effect of flow limits is how you feel, but in Oscar, looking at the flow rate charts along with inspiratory time and tidal volume gives the real measure. As flow limits decrease, we usually see a corresponding decrease in inspiration time and sometimes an improvement in tidal volume. This is because as flow limitation is decrease, inspiration time to reach the normal tidal volume is decreased because there is less resistance to the inspiratory effort. This usually brings benefits in the form of fewer arousals and better sleep. As flow limitation increases, see increasing flatness in the inspiratory wave, and increased time of inspiration.

To best see this in Oscar, use the advanced view so you can see Events, Flow Rate, Mask Pressure, Inspiration Time, Tidal Volume and flow limitation if you have room. Now looking at a close-up view where you can see individual flow waves, scroll to where flow limitation is clearly visible. Line up the vertical cursor and record the
peak inspiratory flow rate, 12.29 / 19.97
mask pressure, 14.56 / 13.59
inspiration time 1.75 / 1.54
tidal volume 336.75 / 571.92
flow limitation 0.25 / 0.00

This should line up with the peak of the mask pressure and inspiratory flow. Record the numbers above each chart and compare that to a time with no flow limitation shown. My results are shown above. This is what flow limitation does. You can look for a period of very low flow limitation like your 95% FL of 0.02, and you should see very little difference between that and 0.00.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
"The 95th percentile says that 95% of the time, the usage is below this amount: so, the remaining 5% of the time, the usage is above that amount."

Percentile - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org › wiki › Percentile

I think higher values in the flow limitation 95%tile column are worth investigating. however, afaik .01 is the min that we'd ever see there and yours at .02 is negligible, unless a) you feel your sleep is unrefreshing and/or b) you see a lot of unflagged flow limitations in your flow rate especially if they're followed by inhale spikes inferring arousals. the stats are dependable enough for most purposes but, note: flow limitations are generally underreported; not all machines report RERA and those that do seem to miss a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, Sleeprider, and Sheepless- Wow! Thank you all so much! That was all great info. I will do what you instructed Sleeprider.

Dave - I think the mask definitely has something to do with it. Or rather my nose/mask combo. I would really prefer to stay away from a FF mask as I notice I have relatively much more OAs wearing one. I really need to get to an ENT and have something done about this deviated septum.

Sheepless - I'm trying to figure out what exactly is waking me up at night. Some nights I wake up 5+ times. However, ever since getting the machine, my bathroom visits went from 3-4 times per night to 0-1. I've been meaning to keep a pen and paper on my nightstand and record the times I awake (that I am aware of). And look at the data at that time in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 249 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 81 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 537 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 196 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 69 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.